Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

What about Death Valley in June?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 11:20 PM
fxdxruss
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like others have said it is doable. Ask yourself do you want a good ride or a great ride. I think Death Valley and Panamint valley are fantastic places to visit, to really enjoy the time there the season is every thing. Not saying don't do it, please stay hydrated have someone know your route all ways, don't change if they don't know. You won't be stopping to smell the roses.
Russ

Old 02-19-2016, 10:14 AM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned
Received 502 Likes on 321 Posts

I rode it late last September. We stayed at Furnace Creek and did day rides around the area for three days. We did a full moon night ride up to Dante's Point too which was cool. We started out every day before dawn and were back at the hotel by 11ish. Highs were in the 115 degree range. Then we went on to Las Vegas. On the way back through the Nevada desert we hit torrential rains and had to hole up in Tonopa, NV. Then going back over Tioga Pass on to home it was snowing. It was a hell of a ride full of extremes and one of our most memorable.

Badwater, Death Valley

Dante's Point at sunrise

The road going to Shoshone:

Had a good breakfast here:

Last edited by Mountain Cruiser; 02-19-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:25 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

I found Death Valley to be the most intriguing at sunrise. Sunset ain't bad, but not quite the same. I think June would be pretty tough riding to enjoy the sights of DV.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:26 AM
Passing Lane
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

You guys are a wealth of info on staying hydrated. That seems to be the key. Thanks

Old 02-21-2016, 06:13 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Right now is the best time to go to death valley!!! The desert is in "bloom" and temps are tolerable.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:14 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,079 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
Right now is the best time to go to death valley!!! The desert is in "bloom" and temps are tolerable.
I'll second that. Deserts are beautiful when they are in bloom. Deserts are also at different elevations and they come in bloom at different times. So in springtime in California you can always find a desert that is in full bloom.

I get an eerie feeling when I am riding through a desert. I might call it a spiritual experience. The desolation of the desert just does something to me and I get into a different mood. Most roads through deserts are straight for the most part so it is easy to get into a trance and just ride.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:51 PM
GrumpyTheBiker
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were going to do it in late June, the guy at Las Vegas Harley-Davidson talked us out of it. We ended up going to Bikefest in October of that same year and did it, it was 124 at Furnace Creek according to the thermometer there. Glad I didn't go in June.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:23 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Michael Psycle, I agree 100% with your assessment of a "spiritual experience" in riding the desert. It's interesting that the preponderance of the worlds religions were desert centric in their foundations.

It would be hard to ride that 17 mile loop in Monument Valley and not have some understanding of how or why the Indians consider it a holy place. I find that a lot riding out west.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:13 PM
Black_Maiden
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We "Drove" there in July when the Temps were 116 F at Furnace Creek...It was Hot Like Hell...
If you stay Hydrated as the Folks here advice, I think you should be good...

I think its Crazy but not Stupid...Totally Doable...

Old 02-24-2016, 08:38 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,079 Likes on 1,505 Posts

The Official Be Stupid Philosophy

Quick Reply: What about Death Valley in June?