Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Retirement Trip 6 Weeks Vermont to SF and Back

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 12:13 PM
LarryAck
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Retirement Trip 6 Weeks Vermont to SF and Back

Looking for specific side road trips rather than constantly staying on the interstates. Don't want to deviate to much since reservations are pretty set for our trip, but any parallel roads that would be worth the slower speeds would be appreciated.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:02 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Key West is nice.....

A bit more info would have been nice.....major cities.....states....anything....anything.

Jeez, no wonder no one has responded.

Good luck have a safe trip.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:47 PM
HawgRider768
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

US 36 is a nice ride across MO & KS. Mostly 4 lane with less traffic and road is generally in good condition. It goes as far east as Ohio I think. But not sure, I have not had a chance to ride that stretch. It also goes to Denver. I prefer to stay off interstates and enjoy the slower pace and less traffic on state highways.

Enjoy your ride.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:02 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

I rode from SF to MA last June and traveled a good deal on Rt 50. Loved all of Rt 50 through NV("The loneliest Road in America"). Besides a couple of diversions(southwest UT and Colorado), I traveled Rt 50 until Kansas City. I enjoyed the route immensely, but then again, I'm always in a state of bliss when I'm on two wheels. I'm sure there's other/better roads, but this was my experience. You'll get some good info here. Hope you have a great trip!

Last edited by DaveNBPT; 02-12-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:31 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

If your reservations are set, why don't you list them, so we have an idea which roads to recommend?

The easy way to pick side roads is with a map. Navigation programs favor large roads. I would start contacting state tourism departments for information packets. They include a map.

I would love to visit every Baseball stadium, if I had six weeks to travel.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:47 AM
Hunter55
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on the Retirement,without more info on your intend route it would be impossible to help with your route planning but the first thing I personally would do is cancel the reservations and ride day to day and plan no more than two days ahead,its a nightmare trying to plan that many days ahead and all it takes is one or two days of severe weather and you will be reworking the entire schedule.Remember you're retired who needs a schedule.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:41 AM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,594 Likes on 2,024 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunter55
Congrats on the Retirement,without more info on your intend route it would be impossible to help with your route planning but the first thing I personally would do is cancel the reservations and ride day to day and plan no more than two days ahead,its a nightmare trying to plan that many days ahead and all it takes is one or two days of severe weather and you will be reworking the entire schedule.Remember you're retired who needs a schedule.
So very true,most of our trips only include the first night reservation. Sometimes when you find a spot you enjoy you might decide on an extra day--who knows when you'll return there again.Ive traveled coast to coast over a dozen times[mostly Ina cage] so as others have stated ,a bit more info and more will chime in. Southern rt/northern/Midwest states/ some places that interest you.Back roads and less traveled state highways will always have some hidden gems-----give us some of your intended itenary and I'm sure more folks would be interested in giving good info---Rocker

Old 02-14-2016, 10:13 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm with Hunter55 on this all the way. Reservations will only make this a road trip. Rip them up and plan from day to day and make it an adventure, you're retired, why not?

I can see Skyline drive from my front porch. I ride Skyline and the BRP all the time in all seasons. The amount of times I have had to change my route or schedule due to fog is amazing.

I've done the same thing in Colorado because of snow, in June. Weather happens. A motorcycle trip is a chance to find serendipity. That won't happen following a highlighted route on a map and motel reservations.

I'm retired too. When I leave for a two week trip I take four weeks worth of pills. That's it for the planning stage. Oh, and never just take a map of where you plan to go. Take an atlas of where you could end up. That's what makes retirement so much fun.

The following users liked this post:
mpescatori (03-18-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 08:18 PM
Buzz 3
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

What are the general plans? Southern route out, northern route back? Figure that out and get a good hotel app on your phone. Plan a couple stops every few days to take a day off and rest. Pick a good stop and you could even do a short day ride. You have enough time to see a lot! BRP down to the Dragon and all the roads in that area. Then north or south? Pig Trail in Ark. Hit a few miles of Rte 66. Grand Canyon. Most roads in the Rockies from AZ to the Canadian border. Buzz

Old 02-15-2016, 10:44 AM
LarryAck
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trip

Niagara Falls
Cleveland
Milwaukee
Minnesota
Sioux Falls, SD
Keystone SD
Deadwood, SD
Gillete, WY
Yellowstone
Tetons
Salt Lake City,
Reno - Lake Tahoe
San Francisco
Yosemite
Bryce Canyon
Mesa Verde
Denver, CO
Grand Isle, NE
Iowa City, IA
Chicago, IL
Cleveland, OH
Vermont

This is my rough route, with stops from 1 to 5 days.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Retirement Trip 6 Weeks Vermont to SF and Back