Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Back issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 10:40 PM
08kingrider
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back issues

I'm the proud harbinger of spinal stenosis, which about 40 miles into a roadtrip produces such wonderful sensations as tingling followed by numbness in the upper back/spine/neck area. The addition of a backrest and Chubby beach bars have somewhat mitigated the condition, but a trip of as few as 100 miles usually results in a chiro visit for relief.

Just wondering if anyone else shares this joy and perhaps has come across an effective treatment that doesn't require help from a medical professional? Any over-the-counter remedies?

Old 02-08-2016, 04:59 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

You may try an Airhawk seat cushion or something similar. I have lower back problems too, I ruptured the L4 disc back in September and had surgery. The air pad does seem to help the lower back pain. It sounds like you are worse off than I was. I can ride for a couple hours before needing a stretch now, and it's getting better as it heals more. I have the Airhawk R and have found it very comfy.

I can't help with the treatment since I went from weekly back adjustments straight to surgery when it ruptured. Back pain and riding don't go together!!

Old 02-08-2016, 08:35 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,573 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by 08kingrider
I'm the proud harbinger of spinal stenosis, which about 40 miles into a roadtrip produces such wonderful sensations as tingling followed by numbness in the upper back/spine/neck area. The addition of a backrest and Chubby beach bars have somewhat mitigated the condition, but a trip of as few as 100 miles usually results in a chiro visit for relief.

Just wondering if anyone else shares this joy and perhaps has come across an effective treatment that doesn't require help from a medical professional? Any over-the-counter remedies?
Depends on what state you live in. Some swear by the Colorado Edibles, but if you're like me in UT - NSAID's and Acetaminophen and copious amounts of tequila.

I had 2 surgeries in 2011 on L4-L5, April was a Laminectomy and November a Microdisectomy. I can ride all day and feel good afterwards, much easier than riding in the car. I use a stock seat with a backrest.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:50 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

I had 2 herniated disc back in the day & was on some serious pain meds. I didn't want to ride when I was high. My doctor gave me this. It worked for me.
http://www.webmd.com/pain-management...topic-overview

Old 02-10-2016, 10:36 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,544 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by slapshot12
You may try an Airhawk seat cushion or something similar. I have lower back problems too, I ruptured the L4 disc back in September and had surgery. The air pad does seem to help the lower back pain. It sounds like you are worse off than I was. I can ride for a couple hours before needing a stretch now, and it's getting better as it heals more. I have the Airhawk R and have found it very comfy.

I can't help with the treatment since I went from weekly back adjustments straight to surgery when it ruptured. Back pain and riding don't go together!!
Couple Q's Neighbor,

How thick is the Airhawk? And how bad does it retain water say if left on bike during rain?

Old 02-10-2016, 10:44 AM
Bigfoot1
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had surgery on L-4 L-5 almost 3 years ago, didn't work out. Got nerve damage and a permanent limp now. Raised my bars, and the RK is the best for my size and condition. I like the ride better without the backrest but between bars and backrest you can get upright. Helped me.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:34 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

I have a lower back brace that's basically a wide belt that's thick and semi rigid across the lower back; suck in the gut a bit and velcro it in front. Several years ago my back was so bad I couldn't handle the riding mower without it. Might ask your doc if that might help with your condition, mine was something else.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:46 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Imold
I have a lower back brace that's basically a wide belt that's thick and semi rigid across the lower back; suck in the gut a bit and velcro it in front. Several years ago my back was so bad I couldn't handle the riding mower without it. Might ask your doc if that might help with your condition, mine was something else.
I was on a road trip a few years ago. May back hurt so bad from doing something stupid I was wondering if I would make it back home. Ended up using a brace like this with a heating pad between it and my back connected to a invertor which I hooked to the bike, switched the pad out for ice packs on stops. Looked like a dork but got me home to the TENS machine and chiropractor.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:57 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by Raider Bill
I was on a road trip a few years ago. May back hurt so bad from doing something stupid I was wondering if I would make it back home. Ended up using a brace like this with a heating pad between it and my back connected to a invertor which I hooked to the bike, switched the pad out for ice packs on stops. Looked like a dork but got me home to the TENS machine and chiropractor.
Didn't think of that, I should add that brace to my carry kit, still have it.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:58 PM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

One thing that has really helped me is a inversion table. I was doubtful at first but willing to try anything now I look forward to hanging a few times more or less a week.

Quick Reply: Back issues