Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Colorado route ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 11:46 AM
Passing Lane
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Colorado route ?

Planing a 2016 trip out west and need advice between 2 routes in Colorado. First option is from Cortez via Rt 145 or Rt 550 from Durango to Ouray. Either way I plan to go to Moab Ut. Prefer less traffic and hope to be there late May.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:53 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,804 Likes on 9,867 Posts

RT 550 (Million Dollar Hwy) would my choice. Make sure you check road conditions before you go at that time of year.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:13 PM
Passing Lane
Tourer

QC do you think that is too early in the year? Looks like you live in that area so any and all info is appreciated

Old 01-04-2016, 12:34 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

I've ridden that loop from Durango up to Ridgeway and back to Cortez several times and late May could be spectacular. You can't go wrong with Silverton, Ouray and Telluride along the way. Mesa Verde is very cool if you have the time. If the weather looks questionable over 550 as you're approaching (assume you're riding in from SE), then maybe skip that loop and head to Moab. Then, ride it on your way back east.

Edit: Probably doesn't need mentioning, but bring your heated gear, rain gear and a full face helmet if you have it.....some pretty decent elevations here so expect diverse riding conditions between mountains and desert especially in late spring. You'll love it.

Last edited by mtgriz; 01-04-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:40 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,804 Likes on 9,867 Posts

Still a lot of snow up there at that time of year. It will warm to hot at Durango and cold at the top. May is a transition time of year and the weather can be very unsettled.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:19 PM
Rathgar
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You can expect there to still be snow on the ground and depending upon the time of day (ambient temp) there could be ice in the shady spots, especially the switchbacks. A lot of snow melt running on the road.
Beautiful way to go.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:52 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Received 508 Likes on 152 Posts

Highway 145 is nice but the Million Dollar Highway (550) from Durango to Ouray is a must. After arriving in Durango head north on 550.

Take your time heading to Ouray. The number of roads in the US this beautiful can be counted on one hand.

After passing Ouray you'll want to head west to get to Moab. North of Ouray you'll reach Ridgeway. Turn left (west) on hwy 62. Here you'll be passing the Dallas Divide.

At Naturina turn left on to Hwy 90 to Moab.

Attached Thumbnails Colorado route ?-06-hermosa-cliffs-and-ranch-large-.jpg   Colorado route ?-35-busa-and-mt.-sneffels-large-.jpg   Colorado route ?-140-dolores-canyon-large-.jpg   Colorado route ?-electric-greystone-pk-mt.-garfield-large-.jpg  
Old 01-05-2016, 03:22 PM
Passing Lane
Tourer

Durango Dave you talked me into 550. Trying to predict the weather months ahead is a waste of time but I am retired and have the option of leaving pretty much when I want to. Do you think it might be best to leave 10-14 days later? Awesome pictures, wishing I could leave now.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:18 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Received 508 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Passing Lane
Durango Dave you talked me into 550. Trying to predict the weather months ahead is a waste of time but I am retired and have the option of leaving pretty much when I want to. Do you think it might be best to leave 10-14 days later? Awesome pictures, wishing I could leave now.

I think you should be fine leaving late May. The temp varies with altitude. In Durango overdress so you are very warm there. You'll be much cooler at the passes but the weather should be fine.
In winter Highway 550 has more avalanches than any other stretch of highway in the US. Google "the most dangerous highway in the US" and you'll find 550.

Much of the highway doesn't have guard rails. Motorcycles don't need no stinking guard rails. Even if you hit one you'd flip over it. Anyone that goes off the highway in many parts dies. In this next picture there is a car down in the river. You can't see it in this low res pic.

There are several cars at the bottom of this canyon. If you see one it has been there since the '70s or earlier. Now-a-days they haul the whole car back up. Back then they only brought up the bodies. Every once in a while they spot a car and announce they will block the highway. The news paper may say they suspect it's the guy that went missing recently but they don't know until the recovery. I don't want to scare you away from it. It's a great motorcycle road (a car roof blocks the view of the high mountains). The only issue is sometimes drivers go around blind curves on the wrong side of the road because they are scared of falling off the road. Take it easy and stop often for pictures.

Last edited by Durango Dave; 01-05-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:12 PM
Grandslam
Road Warrior
Received 339 Likes on 210 Posts

Stop in Ridgeway and visit the Dennis Weaver Park and eat lunch at the True Grit Café. Nice ride over to Moab.

Quick Reply: Colorado route ?