Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Need Tips On Riding Out West

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 01:05 PM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Need Tips On Riding Out West

Some friends and I are planning a trip out west next year. The plan is to head straight toward Sturgis & Mt. Rushmore, then on to Red Lodge, MT where we'll jump on the Beartooth Pass. That's where I need some guidance. On the maps it appears BT Pass leads us into Yellowstone Park, but is it the best place to enter? Should we jump off the pass at a given point and divert to an alternate entry point to maximize our experience in Yellowstone? We should have about 5-6 days to kill out that way, so what else should we see? Unfortunately, Canada's out of the question since last time I went they stole the bullets out of my gun and turned me around at the border.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:28 PM
robertwy
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Entering Yellowstone from Beartooth Pass is as good of a place as any. However you do have the choice of turning south before Yellowstone on the Chief Joseph Hwy. (296) and going to Cody. From there you can go west to Yellowstone on Hwy. 14

Basically, you can't screw up in that part of the country. It's all nice. I just was there at the first of Sept. Check it out on my website. Go to the Trips menu and it's the Blackhills 2015 trip in the Long Trips section.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:02 PM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by robertwy
Go to the Trips menu and it's the Blackhills 2015 trip in the Long Trips section.
Fantastic site. I should have done something like that for my trip out to Wyoming, but I was in too much of a hurry. Due to time constraints I had to haul *** out there and back on interstates. 6 days, 4,069 miles, average 14 hours per day driving. So, while I've been out west, I haven't experienced being out west. Really looking forward to this trip. I have two Gopro cameras I'll be using. I plan on burning through numerous 64gb memory cards.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:43 PM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

You have a couple of options from Red Lodge.

Take Beartooth Pass all the way to Gardner Mt. or cut back on Chief Joseph to Cody.

I would recommend doing both, probably on different days to have enough time to take everything in.

We stayed a week in Cody and loved it. The Rodeo, the Cody Museum and riding in every direction was unbelievable.

It is about 60 miles from Cody to the East entrance. Doing the loop in Yellowstone is a full day and depending upon the traffic can be very tiring. Holding up a Harley going up and down the hills about a car length at a time for two hours is not my cup of tea.

The foreign visitors will stop on a blind curve in the middle of the road to take a picture of a grasshopper, so be warned.

IMHO, the riding around the park was the best.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:54 PM
cmmfiremedic
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally liked the northern entrance better than the rest of them. I wanted to see the buffalo and ride the beartooth highway. The big herds of buffalo were staying in the north end of part while I was there. It's great county to ride. You can't take a wrong road. One thing I will say if you have a bike that gets bad gas mileage don't get in red before you start searching for fuel. In some areas you may ride 150 miles before you see anything.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:37 PM
Grandslam
Road Warrior
Received 338 Likes on 209 Posts

I would recommend doing Chief Joseph as well. But once in the park, ride the road back to the NE Entrance as it is beautiful country.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:38 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by robertwy
Entering Yellowstone from Beartooth Pass is as good of a place as any. However you do have the choice of turning south before Yellowstone on the Chief Joseph Hwy. (296) and going to Cody. From there you can go west to Yellowstone on Hwy. 14

Basically, you can't screw up in that part of the country. It's all nice. I just was there at the first of Sept. Check it out on my website. Go to the Trips menu and it's the Blackhills 2015 trip in the Long Trips section.
Nice website......loved the write ups......i did notice alot of west and north states visited.......FYI, EAST COAST is just as great....Smokey mountains are real nice.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:50 PM
The painter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts

Planning a southern route trip. MD Down through KY, Ark, northern tc& NM , Az then ip throuh utah, ,Montana, thr ride doww to Sturgis and Ames iows .down to ky again and homme.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:37 AM
Joe Mc
Banned
Received 230 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by jpalm
Some friends and I are planning a trip out west next year. The plan is to head straight toward Sturgis & Mt. Rushmore, then on to Red Lodge, MT where we'll jump on the Beartooth Pass. That's where I need some guidance. On the maps it appears BT Pass leads us into Yellowstone Park, but is it the best place to enter? Should we jump off the pass at a given point and divert to an alternate entry point to maximize our experience in Yellowstone? We should have about 5-6 days to kill out that way, so what else should we see? Unfortunately, Canada's out of the question since last time I went they stole the bullets out of my gun and turned me around at the border.
you are lucky it was not the Mexican border you were trying to cross with a firearm. You would still be in jail

Last edited by Joe Mc; 12-15-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:06 AM
rossn2
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

Check out this discussion... will give you some options..And, I highly recommend making reservations NOW in places like Red Lodge or Jackson Hole..

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...m-sturgis.html

Quick Reply: Need Tips On Riding Out West