Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Yellowstone loop from Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 08:40 PM
Toliverpeterson
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yellowstone loop from Sturgis

We are thinking about a loop from Sturgis to Yellowstone and back during Bike Week this summer.
Anyone have suggestions on this. We were thinking a day to get there, day around there and one back.
Looking for input.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:57 PM
Grandslam
Road Warrior
Received 338 Likes on 209 Posts

I would think that would be three long days. I left Sturgis one day and stopped in
Cody. It was an all day ride. But I stopped at a dealership and a long lunch. I guess you could see Yellowstone in a day. I spent two days riding YS. I rode each loop both directions in the two days and saw most of the sites. I would recommend you not go that far unless you ride Chief Joseph Hwy and Beartooth Pass. I would add to that seeing the Grand Tetons. I hope to do the same trip next year with my wife this time.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:22 PM
Hraefn
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I think you need more than one day to see Yellowstone properly. My daughter and I spent three days there and only skimmed the surface...

Old 12-03-2015, 09:48 PM
Shanebo
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Planning to meet up with friends in Yellowstone who are doing this very thing.

We will be coming in from the west, after hitting Tetons and Lolo Pass, taking the long way around. We'll meet them in the park, spend the night in Cody, then head to Sturgis for a couple of nights before going home.

They will leave from Sturgis, bunk down in Cody, then hit the park and back to Cody on day 2, then head back to Sturgis.

Sturgis to Cody is less than 400 miles, so that's a nice day trip.

Yellowstone and Tetons are a lot to take in in one shot, but you can get the highlights if the weather and crowds cooperate.

As stated above, a trip through Beartooth should be on your list as well, but it will really be a challenge to get that in and see the park at all like you want to. And, if seeing Tetons is important to you, plan on more than one trip (or one day, for sure) to get the full experience of that area.

All the best,

Shane

Old 12-03-2015, 10:36 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Much of the area east of Yellowstone is twisty mountain roads. Lots of up and down. Takes a lot of time.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:23 AM
rossn2
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

90w from Sturgis to Sheridan, WY and 14w, then 14A across BigHorn Lake and into Lovell, then 310N towards Bridger and south on 72 to Belfry and 308W into Red Lodge. Stay the night in RL (Alpine Lodge w/free cook to order breakfast) , then next morning ride the Beartooth Pkwy and take Chief Joseph south into Cody..then west on 14 into Yellowstone, and south past Grand Tetons and into Jackson Hole (The Ranch Inn) . Then come back out of Jackson Hole and take 26E thru Wind River Canyon to Thermoplis, then 20 N/E to Worland and 16E to Buffalo and back on 90.

Can't draw the route on Google cause some of the roads are closed now due to snow...

Stay night in Red Lodge and then Jackson Hole and make hotel reservations atleast 6-8 months out!!!!

Last edited by rossn2; 12-04-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:52 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by rossn2
90w from Sturgis to Sheridan, WY and 14w, then 14A across BigHorn Lake and into Lovell, then 310N towards Bridger and south on 72 to Belfry and 308W into Red Lodge. Stay the night in RL (Alpine Lodge w/free cook to order breakfast) , then next morning ride the Beartooth Pkwy and take Chief Joseph south into Cody..then west on 14 into Yellowstone, and south past Grand Tetons and into Jackson Hole (The Ranch Inn) . Then come back out of Jackson Hole and take 26E thru Wind River Canyon to Thermoplis, then 20 N/E to Worland and 16E to Buffalo and back on 90.

Can't draw the route on Google cause some of the roads are closed now due to snow...

Stay night in Red Lodge and then Jackson Hole and make hotel reservations atleast 6-8 months out!!!!
rossn2...great route suggestion for that New Hampshire rider. Terrific combination of mountains, open ranch country, and fun towns. I'll predict that if he takes your suggestion it will be the highlight of his riding.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:29 PM
camsmith
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rossn2
90w from Sturgis to Sheridan, WY and 14w, then 14A across BigHorn Lake and into Lovell, then 310N towards Bridger and south on 72 to Belfry and 308W into Red Lodge. Stay the night in RL (Alpine Lodge w/free cook to order breakfast) , then next morning ride the Beartooth Pkwy and take Chief Joseph south into Cody..then west on 14 into Yellowstone, and south past Grand Tetons and into Jackson Hole (The Ranch Inn) . Then come back out of Jackson Hole and take 26E thru Wind River Canyon to Thermoplis, then 20 N/E to Worland and 16E to Buffalo and back on 90. Can't draw the route on Google cause some of the roads are closed now due to snow... Stay night in Red Lodge and then Jackson Hole and make hotel reservations atleast 6-8 months out!!!!
Nailed it! Did pretty much this route in 3 days end of July '15...probably the best three day stretch I've ever spent on my bike.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:41 AM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

It can be done, but, your going to wish you spent more time.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:36 AM
Toliverpeterson
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys for all the great suggestions.
We are trying to strike the balance between time in Sturgis and taking in Yellowstone. Last year was our first Sturgis trip and it was a blast.
I appreciate the input.

Quick Reply: Yellowstone loop from Sturgis