Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Summer road trip

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 01:35 PM
SPCJ
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Summer road trip

Born Free is coming up in June and I'm planning on spending a couple of weeks on the road. Starting from El Paso, spending a couple of days in Silverado CA for BF then heading north, stopping near big sur, and the redwood forest. Then acrossed northern Nevada into Utah and down the million dollar highway to Durango CO and then back home. If any one has suggestions on routes, campgrounds, or any thing I should see/do along the way let me know. I did a ride planner but nothing is concrete yet.

Attached Thumbnails Summer road trip-image.png  
Old 12-03-2015, 06:32 PM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

Instead of I80 across NV take US50 from the Carson City/Reno area into UT. Buy gas when you see it. The longest distance between gas stops is 111 miles from Fallon to Austin. Great high desert scenery with mountain ranges.

I70 in UT is scenic and not much traffic with scenic turnouts between Salina and Green River.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:00 PM
Grandslam
Road Warrior
Received 338 Likes on 209 Posts

Ride the train in Durango. Pretty cool trip. But ride the bus back. We stayed at the KOA cabins in Durango. Nice place.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:56 PM
SPCJ
Cruiser

I really appreciate the tips. Keep em coming.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:04 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

You are going to miss 3 of the best National Parks......Zion, Bryce and Munument Valley.....i would incorporate them into your trip.....

Old 12-03-2015, 11:26 PM
SPCJ
Cruiser

Originally Posted by giacomo56
You are going to miss 3 of the best National Parks......Zion, Bryce and Munument Valley.....i would incorporate them into your trip.....
I would love to see all those parks. Unfortunately I only have so much time. Do you have any suggestions on camp groups in Utah?

Old 12-04-2015, 08:05 AM
capitan1962
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I would skip 25 north to Albuquerque and continue to Lordsburg, NM and go up the Coronado trail (191) to Alpine, AZ then hit the Mogollon Rim or continue to I 40 and proceed west. From Flagstaff include HWY 89A thru Sedona and Jerome, AZ. The ride through Jerome is incredible.

I totally agree with taking HWY 50 across Nevada, lots of curves and not a lot of traffic. Its called the loneliest highway in the world for a reason but like was said don't pass a gas station. I just finished a trip that included a lot of the same places.

I will post a link to the trip I have planned for 2016. Note the route planned for the million dollar highway. This includes a lot of similarities to your trip. Also be sure to find your way to Virginia City, NV if at all possible.

If you plan on hitting a few of the national parks I would buy an annual pass for $80 which is good for all of the National Parks in the country for a year. Otherwise they are 20 bucks a pop on a bike.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?h...o.k11tNEtnKlLQ

Old 12-04-2015, 09:09 AM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

Here was my route on Epic Journey 2012.
http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...1&locale=en_US

Coming through northern CA take CA89 from Mt Shasta to Truckee. Great ride through Lassen Volcanic National Park.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:16 AM
SPCJ
Cruiser

Originally Posted by capitan1962
I would skip 25 north to Albuquerque and continue to Lordsburg, NM and go up the Coronado trail (191) to Alpine, AZ then hit the Mogollon Rim or continue to I 40 and proceed west. From Flagstaff include HWY 89A thru Sedona and Jerome, AZ. The ride through Jerome is incredible.

I totally agree with taking HWY 50 across Nevada, lots of curves and not a lot of traffic. Its called the loneliest highway in the world for a reason but like was said don't pass a gas station. I just finished a trip that included a lot of the same places.

I will post a link to the trip I have planned for 2016. Note the route planned for the million dollar highway. This includes a lot of similarities to your trip. Also be sure to find your way to Virginia City, NV if at all possible.

If you plan on hitting a few of the national parks I would buy an annual pass for $80 which is good for all of the National Parks in the country for a year. Otherwise they are 20 bucks a pop on a bike.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?h...o.k11tNEtnKlLQ
I like your idea of skipping Albuquerque. I have family and friends I'm going to visit in the Phoenix area so I think I'm going to head through globe. I agree about riding in northern az, definitely amazing. Jerome used be my favorite ride when I lived in Phoenix.

It sounds like 50 across Nevada is the way to go. I'll be adding that to my trip. The two states I need the most help on are Nevada and Utah. Thanks for putting up your route!

Old 12-04-2015, 10:58 AM
SPCJ
Cruiser

And I forgot to mention I don't want to spend all day in the saddle. I love riding but I'm not going to be in a rush. I was planning only 300-400 miles a day. I wanna be able to have some time in the evening to relax and not have to get up before the sun. I guess what I'm getting at is is this a good number of miles or should I aim a little higher?

Quick Reply: Summer road trip