Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Motorcycle camping??

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Floridafred
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle camping??

On past road trips I consider "roughing it" to be a motel room without WiFi and a coffee pot. However, my next trip will be extensive so I'm considering doing some camping to stretch the resources. Any suggestions on minimum camping gear I should carry and type of campsites or minimum ammenities to look for in a campsite. Any help to get my research started is appreciated.
Fred

Old 04-30-2007, 11:53 AM
vulhalla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Motorcycle camping??

there is alot of small stuff you can pick up like i did from LL beans or Dicks sporting goods, look in the mountain climbers section:
pillow
towel
small burner for little propane bottles
knife/fork/spoon
salt/pepper (disposable shakers)

stuff like that

also i bought a coleman coffepot (drip) that you heat up with propane, excellent idea.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:17 PM
theoldguy
Tourer

Get a packtent, sleepingbag and a groundcloth... thats the thing I always forgot... lol... A couple cheap towels to wipe the morning dew off your seat and grips, (or you can use yesterday's t-shirt). Thing is tho how often do you camp? If this is a one time deal, go cheap, if you'll be doing this alot, get quality. If you stay at campgrounds, try to find ones that are motorcycle friendly, I did a google search and found a bunch. And if you stay in a farmers field on the side of a backroad, don't forget the tp[8D]. And forget about cooking and stuff, you'll be packing a lot of equip and stopping at the stores to buy fresh food. Have a very safe and fun trip, post pics when you get back!

Old 04-30-2007, 02:21 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy and pack equipment like a backpaker would. That way you need less space and carry less weight.

I carry a white gas stove, and some basic food stuff: Dinty Moore stew, Top Ramon, etc. Gotta have my coffee, too.

I like to stay at the KOA campgrounds whenever possible. Better facilites, but a slightly higher cost. National parks are cheap, but amenities are very limited; usually a pit toilet and no shower.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:45 PM
cosmo glider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 506 Likes on 198 Posts

Some pretty good books on the subject will help you a bunch getting started. See ya on the road. http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Tou.../dp/1884313159

Old 04-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Floridafred
Cruiser

Can anyone give me an idea what might be expected at KOA campgrounds. Do they have decent roads and parking for motorcycles. My RG is not built for off road. Just don't know what to expect. I'm thinking about trying one out close to home just for the experience but would like to have a feel for what is in store. I was checking out the KOA web site and 45 bucks for a basic cabin isn't bad and I wouldn't have to pack a tent. Thanks for any help.
Fred

Old 04-30-2007, 08:34 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

KOA's are great. You can call ahead and reserve a space (the cabins go pretty quick). Order the KOA booklet or pick one up at your nearest KOA. The roads in and out are usually not paved, but I've never experienced a problem with any of them and I've stayed in quite a few over the years. The amenities vary from site to site, they are owner operated, sometimes the coffee's free mostly not. For mc camping gear check out the aerostich website. http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/index.html

[IMG]local://upfiles/30286/125765EB08C545D8BE0576E65CE9F5B7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-30-2007, 08:39 PM
JimS
Intermediate

I am taking a x country trip and plan on camping to save $$$ also. This weekend I picked up a backpack type 2 man tent, less then 5 lbs, down sleeping bag, which rolls up to thesize of a 10 lb bag of sugar. Ground cloth, a neat air filled sleeping pad, and a few other things for about$300. I was amazed at the stuff they now have for backpack type camping, small and lightweight, perfect for a motorcycle trip. I also sent for the KOA campground directory and they range from $17.00 to $35.00per night for a tent site. I plan on getting a room 2 or 3 times a week, to old to sleep on the ground for the entire trip.
When are you leaving?
Enjoy your trip.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:11 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Are you going on this trip by yourself, or is another biker going with you? Are you planning onjust camping one night then moving on? If you don't already own the camping gear...Don't camp. I know that I'm gonna get:

But..

1) Even the most organized camper still has to setup camp. (I've got a 'system' of packing, setting up, and repacking-but I've done it quite a few times) Which takes time to unpack. So you wantto be at your campground while it's still light out (I've stayed in some really dark campgrounds). Which means you better adjustthe amount of miles you plan of riding each day. Just the thought of setting up a tent in the dark and rain....Doesn't really 'thrill me' like it used to. And then you gotta pack it all up the next day. Maybe after a lovely evening following a thunderstorm. It's not like taking a long hot shower,grabbing your duffle bag, walking out of your motel room, strapping it onto the luggage rack, then grabbing the free continental breakfast, before heading out for another full day of riding. When I camp, I like my comforts...So I take a bunch of stuff with me.

2) I'm a woose...I'll admit it. I don't like being wet or cold...Or wet and cold. I'm also 57...Not 27. So if it's gonna rain, I'm looking for the nearest Comfort Inn. When I went to Sturgis in 1994, I camped out and back...Eleven days. But, my dad and mom were also along for the trip...In their pickup and fifth wheel, with my two kids....And most of my camping gear. Nice to have a real cot to sleep on every night and get 'off the ground'.

3)You're still going to end up 'eating out' most of the time. Unless you're gung-ho about camping, and in that case you'll be towing a trailer (especially if you're riding two-up). Again, if you're gonna stay in a certain campground for a number of days, then you can lug groceries in. But you're not gonna want to carry food and staples along with you from camp to camp.

4) Campgrounds aren't that cheap. Yes, you can find some deals, but you get what you pay for. Usually it amounts to a decrease in security. If I've got to pay $30 or more for a tent site, then I'm thinking that the extra $40 for a real bed, my own shower and toilet (uh...I've been in some really, really nasty campground showers), a lighted parking lot for the scooter, and a possible walk to the nearest bar/restaurant....Are all looking real good.

No matter what you decide...Have fun. Ride safe and enjoy the tripl

Old 04-30-2007, 10:48 PM
cosmo glider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 506 Likes on 198 Posts

Good post Hackd. Camping ain't for everybody, and yes, me too on some less than great campgrounds.
Fred, Ienjoy camping better when I just want to explore a certain area for a few days. Unpacking/setting up/packing every day is time consuming and it can wear you down. Still,inone 15 day 5000 miletrip out westI camped every night but two.
I get in the sleeping bag when it gets dark, get sum good zzzz's, and get up early (5 AM). Down a cup of coffee andcereal barand ride 'till 10:30 or so and hit a Mickey D's (after the AM crowd is gone). Eat a banana and a granola bar later in the afternoonfor a break and try a local eatery before returning to camp. http://www.cyclefish.com/motorcycle_camping.asp

Quick Reply: Motorcycle camping??