Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Ohio to the 129

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 05:25 PM
flhxmc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ohio to the 129

My wife and I are planning a trip to the dragon, this is the first trip we are doing on our own, I do not really know how to plan a trip per say but we are looking at leaving from Ohio on a Friday morning to go to the dragon and returning on a Sunday.

I was thinking that we would be able to do the dragon on that same day and then Cherohala Skyway on that saturday, I of course want to maximize my time down there and dont know what all we will have time to do. So I am looking for suggestions or advice on what to do and must sees.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 07-14-2015, 06:12 PM
ScottKY
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll weigh in with a couple of opinions. First, that's a pretty long day of riding from NW Ohio to the dragon. Personally, I would rather ride the Dragon while fresh and rested. Second, this time of year the Dragon is likely to be pretty crowded, especially if the weather is good.

Have you thought about maybe just getting yourself there on Friday, and then doing the dragon and Cherohala on the same day (Saturday)? It very do-able.

Lots of good places to stay down there. You could even look for a place in Maggie Valley. Get up early on Saturday, ride all day. The ride from Maggie Valley over to the dragon on NC 28 is pretty nice. There are so many unbelievably great roads down there, it's hard to find one that's not good.

Just my $0.02

Scott

Old 07-14-2015, 06:37 PM
ngshop
Road Master
Received 172 Likes on 76 Posts

ScottKY, is giving EXCELLENT advice..... my advice take it.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:15 PM
flhxmc
Tourer

Thanks guys,

My only reasoning for doing the dragon on the Friday I go down is I figured doing it on a Saturday it would be more crowded, but like you said this time of year, but in reality I think anytime its going to be crowded unless its the beginning or middle of week? Your advice sounds good to me, I was not really excited about the dragon after a long ride down there anyway.

Thanks!
Mike

Old 07-14-2015, 07:22 PM
Perry um
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I live near your and go there a few times a year. If you really pound the slab and catch Cincinattii good you can be yo the dragon in 7 hours or so but that is pushing it. Too many other good roads and fun things to do IMO to try this in 3 days. Can you leave after work on Thursday? I have done that before but even that is tight timing.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:26 PM
flhxmc
Tourer

Originally Posted by Perry um
I live near your and go there a few times a year. If you really pound the slab and catch Cincinattii good you can be yo the dragon in 7 hours or so but that is pushing it. Too many other good roads and fun things to do IMO to try this in 3 days. Can you leave after work on Thursday? I have done that before but even that is tight timing.
Thursday would be prime but my wife could not get work off that day, that was originally the plan. I have to work with what I got unfortunately!

Thanks,
Mike

Old 07-14-2015, 07:33 PM
camsmith
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKY
I'll weigh in with a couple of opinions. First, that's a pretty long day of riding from NW Ohio to the dragon. Personally, I would rather ride the Dragon while fresh and rested. Second, this time of year the Dragon is likely to be pretty crowded, especially if the weather is good. Have you thought about maybe just getting yourself there on Friday, and then doing the dragon and Cherohala on the same day (Saturday)? It very do-able. Lots of good places to stay down there. You could even look for a place in Maggie Valley. Get up early on Saturday, ride all day. The ride from Maggie Valley over to the dragon on NC 28 is pretty nice. There are so many unbelievably great roads down there, it's hard to find one that's not good. Just my $0.02 Scott
Good advice right there! Moonshiner 28, in my opinion, is better than the Dragon anyway.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:37 PM
ScottKY
Cruiser

Originally Posted by flhxmc
Thanks guys,

My only reasoning for doing the dragon on the Friday I go down is I figured doing it on a Saturday it would be more crowded, but like you said this time of year, but in reality I think anytime its going to be crowded unless its the beginning or middle of week? Your advice sounds good to me, I was not really excited about the dragon after a long ride down there anyway.

Thanks!
Mike
Yeah, it will be crowded on Saturday. But if you come in from the east, at least you'll be starting at the bottom. You can hang back in one of the parking lots and wait for a gap. Still gotta be on the lookout for knuckleheads coming down though.

I think if this is your first time down there, you're going to wish you had more than 2 days. So many nice roads to explore down there.

I skipped The Dragon on this year's trip down there. It's a bucket list thing, I get that. But there are much nicer roads with far fewer idiots on them in the immediate vicinity.

Whatever you decide, have a safe trip and enjoy the ride.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:04 PM
flhxmc
Tourer

Scott,

Good points! I am not dead set on the dragon I just want to ride good roads with beautiful scenery! Plus I am not a fan of the knuckleheads if that is the case and the place gets that crazy busy then I would rather ride the more secluded roads.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 07-14-2015, 08:10 PM
ScottKY
Cruiser

Blue Ridge Parkway, Moonshiner 28, Cherohala....all great roads to consider as alternatives to the dragon.

If you end up near the Blue Ridge Parkway, say around Maggie Valley, head south on the BRP, and hit NC 215 south. Very nice indeed, and apt to be more or less deserted.

Quick Reply: Ohio to the 129