Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Florida Keys

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 10:52 AM
screem
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Florida Keys

Headin out Friday morning from the Fort Myers area down to the Keys for the weekend. Will leave about 4a.m. , so that I get down to the middle Keys around 900a.m. Once there I will hope on a local dive boat and do a two tank dive on the reef. After diving I will continue down to Key West,I have done this trip many times in the past. It is always a beautiful ride, 43 bridges to paradise...

Old 04-29-2007, 08:04 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Florida Keys

Sounds like a great ride. Several friends and I are going to Key West in the middle of June for a 4 day weekend. Ride, get together, ride, get together, ride, get to..... you get the point. I hope you have fun.

I have also dove in Key Largo... I like Silent World.... They were great to me. I forgot my wetsuit on the dock, and they shipped it to my house at no cost to me....

Old 04-29-2007, 08:10 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

My wife and I rode to Key West during bike week this year. I forget the name of the town where we stayed on the way back but it was just South of Key Largo. There was a dive boat docked at the motel we stayed at. I don't dive but I'm sure it would be great fun.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:06 AM
Floridafred
Cruiser

I was down there about a month ago. Lots of construction on that long one lane stretch as you enter the keys. At the time it was stop and go traffic for miles. Hope you find it better. Don't forget that last gas station before you hit that stretch. I pushed it and almost ran out in the backed up traffic. I enjoy it down there and make the trip frequently.
Fred

Old 04-30-2007, 09:07 AM
Recycler
Outstanding HDF Member

Sound's cool

Old 05-12-2007, 10:35 AM
screem
Intermediate

Yeah Fred the causeway from florida City to Key Largo is under construction, In Florida City take Card Sound Rd, It will bypass the causeway. it about a twenty mile ride with little to no traffic that brings you out in Key Largo. There is a great bar/resturant along this route too...it's called Alabama Jacks, usually some bikes there as well

Old 06-08-2007, 12:47 AM
kpb46
Road Master

did ya ever stop at Alabama Jacks in Card Sound? Neat place. Also Jack Flats in Key West has the best southwestern egg rolls

Old 06-08-2007, 02:04 AM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RT 1 is main st for the Key Islands, so Don't speed!
Keep your head light on at all times
and if you ride without a helmet, have your Ins Papers on the ready.

Be amazed at the different colors of blues and greens

I stayed at the Sombrero on the island of Marathon. Me and my wife and another couple rented a villa duplex, common kitchen (fully equipt), privite bedrooms and bathroom only conect by the kitchen. Safe parking off RT 1. We didn't make reservations and as a walk in we were so amazed at the low price we stayed 4 days. $80.00 per cpouple per night. The price may have gone up some that was 3 years agao, but it wasthe week beforebike week.

Have fun and watch out for the traffic, those folks must wear blinders.

chappy

Old 07-20-2007, 12:41 AM
PoincianaRoadKing
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We're planning a trip to the Keys in November. Any suggestions?

Old 07-20-2007, 10:47 AM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Islamorada - World Wide Sportsman.Have a drink at the Zane Grey lounge.

Big Pine -Key deer on Big Pine and No Name Key, ask for direction, go in around dusk. The deer are about the size of a small dog. Also if you like gators, there's a gator hole on Big Pine, full of gators. Ask a local for directions.

Snorkle Looe Key - look for the resort /dive shop around MM30 on Ramrod Key. Tiki hut bar, pool and restaurant. Dive shop will rent you gear and take you to the best coral reefs in the keys. TIP: You'll see more fish snorkling than diving with scuba.

Key West - take the high speed cat ferry to Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas. Don't forget to bring snorkle gear and a waterproof camera, like Looe Key, it's also a marine sanctuary.

-fish

Quick Reply: Florida Keys