Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Heading to NC in July

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 06:43 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Heading to NC in July

The wife and I are doing an 8 day trip starting July 10th leaving MD going down over the CBBT with the first stay over at Little Switzerland Inn (may stop halfway if tired since that's an 8.5hr haul). Anyway the plan is to take the more scenic route up 226a once in NC to the inn then depart using the BRP down to Biltmore for a tour. My first question is does it sound too ambitious to run down BRP entire way to Biltmore make the tour then perhaps move on to the Two Wheel Inn same day since Maggie valley is another 2hrs. south of the estate? If so any reasonable suggestion for a layover preferably not right in the heart of Asheville?
Not sure on the duration plan if rooms open at Two wheel inn as it might not be to my wife's liking there for 2 days straight with touring lots of roads all day and back.
I'm halfway thinking shooting over to the dragon and or cherahola while there but would also like to do 441 over the smokies with a stay near or in Gatlinburg.
It's tough planning best routes to take a lot in plus stops without also ending up way south and west when it's time to make the trek back up to MD.

Last years 4 day ride around Frederick, Winchester down to some of Skyline and back through Dc my wife really liked as I kept commute times between stay overs down to 1-2 hour hops. This allowed leisurely lunches with walk arounds.
This will be our longest tour to date covering long distance just to get into really good areas.

Open for suggestions as I plan loosely and don't tend to make reservations except night before or just stopping when tired at a place the looks good. Also considering 8 days on the road I try not to spend a ton on nightly stays and eating out.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:59 PM
blue flht
Road Captain
Received 178 Likes on 103 Posts

May be a lot to do in one day, but it can be done. You can eat at the switzerland inn or go a few miles down the road to here www.mountainviewrest.com.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:04 PM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,432 Likes on 2,203 Posts

The BRP is about 460 miles long....(mostly) at 45 mph......with stops for food, gas, pics, whatever.....it takes about 16-20 hours to run.....if you do sit down restaurants to eat, get behind some slow traffic or take alittle hike, it will take longer......

The Biltmore house and grounds can take anywhere from 4 hours to all day to tour depending on crowds and how much you wanna see.......

As for a place to stay in Asheville, we hit the Best Western closest to the Parkway......easy on/off access......I don't remember the address, you'll hafta hit the BW site......

Old 06-10-2015, 09:47 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior

Thanks guys. I think you misread, I'm planning on leaving Little Switzerland taking the BRP since it's right there down to Asheville/Biltmore (not interested in doing the whole thing this trip) vs. getting back on 226 to 70 I just couldn't gauge the timing.
Yes I looked at the Best Western and we may layover there given its proximity to the parkway hit Biltmore next morning then move on to Maggie Valley perhaps. I'll probably jump on and off the parkway as time allows but am trying to make a loose plan working my way south then back up hitting different areas/rides and not back track much.

We tend to have the best time roaming without a real firm itinerary. I'll build in stops and change directions as needed as I know for certain if raining the hops will be shorter as the Mrs. won't ride for hours in bad weather .

Old 06-10-2015, 09:49 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Stay away from Gatlinburg.....

Old 06-10-2015, 09:59 PM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member

Your OP/route was a little confusing to me.....lol.....not that it's hard to confuse me........that's why I posted about the length of the Parkway.....

I don't like to backtrack on bike trips......we usually ride south, to the end of the Parkway (the best of it imo) then over the Smokey Mountains to Gatlinburg, then to Maggie, then hit the slab to home......

Old 06-10-2015, 10:13 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior

All good info. and I'll agree there is nothing drawing me to Gatlinburg. The dragon is also a maybe not a must do and we would likely enjoy more of BRP and Cherahola.
My only real plan is to make the best of 8 days while factoring our long haul from MD just to get down in NC and back since that's 2+ days of the trip. My wife also enjoys hotels with breakfast and within a walk to restaurants in evening, pool maybe and bar to unwind so better base locations like two wheel in I'm afraid will have less appeal to her despite being more affordable.

Most of our travel last few years is tent camping so when it's a motorcycle trip I try to step up the amenities for my backseat partner.

Last edited by capttawes; 06-10-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:22 PM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member

Gatlinburg is a neat little town and worth seeing imo, if you hit it right.....ie, on a non holiday week day......we turn left as you go into town, down onto the river road (keeps you off of the main drag) find a hotel and park the bike......you can easily walk the town......

If it's a holiday weekend or leaf peeping season, avoid it like the plague......

Old 06-11-2015, 08:03 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior

Thanks for the tip bentyder we may just do that after running up 441. We may hit some of the trails or Klingmans off 441 so a stay over at the end may be good.

Would the Foothills parkway be a good scenic route down to pick up the Cherohala?

Last edited by capttawes; 06-11-2015 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Question added
Old 06-11-2015, 08:44 AM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member

Yes, Foothills and 129......

Quick Reply: Heading to NC in July