Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

So Cal to Canada Places To See?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 11:58 AM
jasnusc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So Cal to Canada Places To See?

I'm leaving Friday for a Solo Ride from So Cal to Vancouver BC Canada and I'm looking for advice on Must See Places In OR, WA and BC

So Far:
Crater Lake
Portland
Multinomah Falls
Seattle
Ferry Ride
Victoria Island
North Cascade Loop
Reno
Tahoe
Virginia City
Mammoth

Old 06-02-2015, 01:28 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,140 Likes on 12,206 Posts

Absolutely! Do the Sea to Sky Highway (99) in B.C. north of Vancouver. Run that up to Whistler. It's absolutely spectacular.

If you can fit it in to your route, the Bigfoot Scenic Byway (96) is pretty great.

Redwood Highway is likewise excellent.

Wise choice on Crater Lake. The ride in from the south is nice, and the ride out to the north into Bend isn't bad either.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:20 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 146 Likes on 74 Posts

It's Vancouver Island. Victoria sometimes thinks the world ends just north of town but we'll forgive them. A trip up the island on the east coast is a nice ride. Take the seaside route (Hwy 19A).

Old 06-02-2015, 07:44 PM
tfi racing
Road Master
Received 401 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiskyjock
It's Vancouver Island. Victoria sometimes thinks the world ends just north of town but we'll forgive them. A trip up the island on the east coast is a nice ride. Take the seaside route (Hwy 19A).
Whaaat? Vancouver Island is actually separate from Vancouver?(My Toronto based employer continually needs to be reminded...)
Anyways,a side trip to Whistler is worth the drive,I would hop on the ferry and
tour the Sunshine Coast(Gibsons,Sechelt,short boat to Powell River)ferry over to Comox-Courtenay,ride down the Island to Victoria,take the Coho over to Port Angeles,Wa,or WA State Ferry to Anacortes,Wa.Lots of options on how much of the BC coast and islands you would want to see depending on how much time and cash you are willing to spend here.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:12 PM
Slow Road
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 1 from San Luis Obispo to Monterey is pretty awesome.

After Tahoe and Reno I'd head over to Lassen Volcanic Park. From there I'd go by Burney Falls where the water comes out of the side of the cliffs. Weird but cool.

Then to the coast to see the Redwoods and up into Medford, Oregon. On the way up stop at the Oregon caves and take the tour unless you're claustrophobic. Neat tour.

After Crater Lake head over to the Oregon coast and go across the Astoria Bridge at Disappointment Bay.

To Seattle and the sights there.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:06 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,076 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Hit any and every national park if you can. They make those places national parks for a reason. Every one is spectacular in their own way. If you have never been to Yosemite, put that on the list, both the valley and the high country. All spectacular.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:05 PM
jasnusc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are the Ferrys like in Canada Washington area for a Harley? Will it tip over? Does it need to be strapped down? Do I need to bring straps?

Loving the idea guys!

Old 06-05-2015, 02:18 AM
tfi racing
Road Master
Received 401 Likes on 199 Posts

http://www.bcferries.com/ has all the info you need,remember that when looking at fares you need to pay for yourself,passenger(s) and vehicle.Every boat during the summer has a bunch of riders on board,just hang with them,no straps or anything needed,the Ferry staff will provide a chock for your bike,summer water is usually very calm.The biggest risk to you and your bike are the brain-dead,oblivious,inattentive morons driving to and from the ferry terminal,once you are on the boat,all is good.