Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

California to Kansas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 06:05 PM
fb2005
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default California to Kansas?

I had planned a trip with a couple of friends to ride from northern California to Kansas City in July. Just found out today that my 2 friends cancelled out of the trip.
Obviously, riding with others is preferred for safety and enjoying the trip. Has anyone done a trip along Interstate 80? And has anyone done a trip of this length solo? I was SO looking forward to this trip.

Thanks in advance for your comments and feedback,
Carl

Old 04-27-2015, 06:58 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,003 Likes on 1,441 Posts

Hi Carl. First we are going to need more information from you. What bike will you be riding (year, model, mileage, etc)? Second, how much experience do you have doing long distance rides? Third, how much time do you have for this trip? Fourth, what kind of roads do you like riding, Interstates, two lane roads?

I've done a lot of long distance riding, both solo and with friends. I do prefer having friends along but solo rides can be a lot of fun, too.

And, I80 does not pass through Kansas. It goes through Nebraska. Somewhere you'll have to pickup I70.

Give us more info and you'll get more feedback then you probably want. A lot of the feedback will be contradictory, but that's life around here.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:38 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

The only part of 80 that is somewhat nice, other than the Sierras, is from Salt Lake City to Cheyenne. May be a little slower but I would take 50 to 70 if I was in a hurry. Easier to stay awake... Other wise I just try and avoid my two least favorite riding states (Nevada and Kansas) all together...

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 04-27-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:44 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

I'm not dissing Kansas but why in the hell would you want to ride a motorcycle from California to KC. I live on the great plains and it is definitely worth skipping. In July you might consider Yellowstone and the Black Hills. Montana has some great riding.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:53 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 566 Likes on 315 Posts

I drove over the road for years. I-80 is awesome. I also like HWY 50 from Fernley NV to the junction of I-15/I-70 in Utah, then over the very scenic ride through the mountains of Colorado where I live.
Now if your trying to do this trip with a 2.2 gallon peanut gas tank, you might want to rent a different bike.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:58 PM
Hraefn
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I've never ridden across Nevada, but I've made the trip by Jeep several times.

I love US 50, and if you have the right bike and know what you're about, I would recommend that route over I-80. Do not pass any gas pumps on 50 without topping off, and carry water and such, and enjoy one of America's most spectacular roads. Once into Utah, 50 dog-legs a bit but eventually joins up with I-70, which will take you into Kansas.

And btw, I think Kansas is sadly under-appreciated...beautiful state, in its own way!

Old 04-27-2015, 08:00 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,003 Likes on 1,441 Posts

If I wanted to do the ride to Kansas directly and relatively quickly, I would probably pick up 50 in Sacramento and take it through Nevada and then pick up I70 in Utah and continue on 70 through Colorado and Utah. I70 through Utah is spectacular, maybe the most scenic Interstate in the country (ymmv). I70 though Colorado is nice, too. If you have extra time, spend it in Colorado exploring some of the high mountain passes.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:50 AM
fb2005
Intermediate

Forgot to mention what my trip is for. I'm going to visit my first cousins I grew up with that I haven't seen in years; they live in Kansas City. I plan on taking at least 2 weeks off work to give me a few days for the ride. My bike is a 2001 FLSTF (Fatboy) equipped with saddle bags, tourpak, windshield, and Kuryakyn Mark IV bars. Both tires I will replace before this trip on top of fluid change. Carburetor was just serviced with a new gasket kit last year; had an issue with it. Bike has 22000 miles on it now; I've recently done a 500mi trip to southern CA w/o the windshield, then back home the next day with the windshield. I made it a trip to ride down and visit friends, plus pick up my windshield I bought off Craigslist. I've also done several 300mi day trips with a group and solo.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:53 AM
fb2005
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
The only part of 80 that is somewhat nice, other than the Sierras, is from Salt Lake City to Cheyenne. May be a little slower but I would take 50 to 70 if I was in a hurry. Easier to stay awake... Other wise I just try and avoid my two least favorite riding states (Nevada and Kansas) all together...
Oldhippie, yeah Salt Lake City would be my reason for taking I80; never been there before, so would love to stay overnight there.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:53 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Should be a great trip now that I know that you have a reason for the trip to Kansas City.

Quick Reply: California to Kansas?