Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Day Trip - Valley of Virginia (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 05:24 PM
Hraefn
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Day Trip - Valley of Virginia (pics)

So, today was a beautiful spring day here in western Maryland, so I thought I thought I would take the bike out and head down into the Valley of Virginia. Turned out to be a good call; traffic was light, roads were good, and the scenery was marvelous. I am posting a few pics, but unfortunately the best views were not readily captured...it seems there's never a pull-off when you need one. I've supplemented my own pics with a few links to images on the net, if anyone is interested.

Anyway, here I am, about to sally forth:

From Frederick City (aka the Center of the Universe) US 340 heads southwest across the Potomac into Virginia, but almost at once crosses another state line into West Virginia, going by Harpers Ferry. You get a pretty good view of that historic town from the bridge (http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2832/9...b71603d8_o.jpg), but it's not easy to stop there to admire it. After that, 340 takes you through Jefferson Country, WV and then back into Virginia, and south of Front Royal it becomes quite rural and very good riding. One is alternately in hardwood forest (with the rocky bones of the earth protruding from the ground) and cleared farm country. I pulled off for a rest and took this picture:

At this point, I was west of the Blue Ridge, so I think the hills in the distance are the Shenandoah range.

340 is a great ride all the way to Luray, VA (the site of the famous caverns, which are not to be missed if you are riding through the area). At Luray, I got onto 211 heading west. I again stopped for a photo op, and happened to run into a trio on their BMWs (R1600s, I want to say...maybe one R1200). Nice fellows, one of whom gave me a tip on a 2013 Road King he had traded in not too long ago. Well, whatever, here are a few views from the wayside. You can see the spring making its way up the mountainside....:

Still winter at the top:

To include this odd marker, an ancient bike of some sort and a POW-MIA flag:

I suppose this indicates a shameful lack of curiosity on my part, but I made no effort to figure out what I was looking at.

One more wayside pic, including (just visible) my new friends on their BMWs:

Last edited by Hraefn; 04-26-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:39 PM
Hraefn
Road Master
Default ...continued...

211 takes you over the Shenandoah range and into New Market, VA. I spotted what must be an ancient volcanic neck there, but I didn't manage to get a photo, nor can I find one on line. Imagine something like a scaled-down Devil's Tower and you will get the idea. (This is something I'll have to go back for, I guess).

Anyway, back int the valley, I continued on 211 all the way to Timberville, and then took VA 42 north, through very rural Virginia farm country. The riding was so good, I hardly wanted to stop, but I did get these photos in a little hamlet called Hudson's Crossroads:

All told, I rode about 200 miles into Virginia and back. It was the sort of riding where a Dyna Glide is at its best, I would say...a nice mix of gentle curves, mountain twisties, and a number of straightaways where one can really open it up.

I hope the rest of you had good riding today, if you were out.

Cheers.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:11 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 390 Likes on 219 Posts

Looks like a nice ride and on a couple roads, 211 & 340, I can't recall being on.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:18 PM
BrooklynMike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Pics and also some great roads, I went that rout threw skyline about a month ago and saw some lovely snow up there

Old 04-26-2015, 08:23 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Nice photos, thanks for posting them along with comments. Reminds me that a lot of folks, especially from my end of the country, would be surprised how diverse and scenic MD is. Many years ago I recall a fine ride into MD from WVA and across to Ocean City and down that peninsula to the big bridge. Good times and great seafood.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:30 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The title confused me. Then I saw that you rode right through my backyard. It's known as the Shenandoah Valley. BTW, get yourself a copy of the map Scenic back roads of Virginia, available at the welcome center on I-81. Then just follow any light or dark green highlighted road.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:40 PM
t. sawyer
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

very nice rides up that way. I was in that area about 4 yrs ago and the wife (she was riding at that time, not any more, 2nd back operation stop that) and I had a blast riding and looking. dang it mine is down right now. Maybe a couple more days and I'll have her up and running. --starter clutch and clean and new O'ring kits for front calipers. Thanks! for the pics I just sorta stare at them and I'm there.
kroozeabout.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:40 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

All in my regular stomping grounds... Next time you are down, if you want to try another good ride, go a little further south and ride 33 west up and over the mountains and then 28 up to Seneca Rocks. Like the ride you just did, it varies between sweepers and twisties and a few (very few) straightaways.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:34 PM
FLHTCUI05
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You were almost at my house. Ride these roads all the time. Don't have to go to the Tail of the Dragon. We have great roads.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:37 PM
Hraefn
Road Master

Thanks to all for the kind responses. Glad you enjoyed the pictures.

Re the nomenclature, Buzzard my understanding is that "Valley of Virginia" or "Great Valley of Virginia" is the local name for the Shenandoah and Roanoke Valleys together...at any rate, my Virginian friends (with whom I went to school) used that term for the region I was riding in, and I guess I picked up the habit from them. I'll keep a look out for that road guide you mentioned, thanks!

TKDKurt, I had a feeling I would see you in this thread. I will definitely give 33 and 28 a try sometime this summer. Cheers.

Oh, and one correction: I think what I originally called the "Shenandoah Range" is actually Massanutten Mountain...just for the record.

Last edited by Hraefn; 04-27-2015 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Adding factual correction.

Quick Reply: Day Trip - Valley of Virginia (pics)