Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

It's a nice day and I want to ride! But where? <-- Idea for those days.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 11:21 AM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 390 Likes on 255 Posts
Default It's a nice day and I want to ride! But where? <-- Idea for those days.

65 today in NW Ohio, finally, and I'm off in a minute or two! So, where to go? Gee, I don't know. Sound familiar.

Here's an idea.

I live along Lake Erie, but most folks have a large body of water somewhere fairly near by, so I got thinking:

All of the rivers here end up at the lake, (or use your large body of water,) and come from the SSW typically around here. I think I'll drive along the lake to one of the rivers terminus, pop it up on the GPS and see how far back upstream I can follow it, taking all the little backroads and creek bridges, until it's just a dribble. Stop at any historic markers, historic or interesting points and such. Maybe run into a little mom and pop place to have one beer or maybe an ice cream place or a slice, who knows?

Maybe follow one of its tributaries or creeks or branches and double back on the other side. Then when I've had enough, have GPS pick me a non-highway route home.

You could also come back downstream on the other side. Now doesn't that sound great?

Thoughts? Anybody tried this? Good related tales? Great riding roads along rivers?

Last edited by Oogie Wa Wa; 03-16-2015 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Clarified
Old 03-16-2015, 11:47 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,061 Likes on 1,491 Posts

On a similar note, all the major rivers that flow west out of the Sierra Nevada mountains have a road that follows right along side. These are all great scenic riding roads and I've enjoyed them all.