Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Finger Lakes - good base town to stay in

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 11:41 AM
CarrollB
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Finger Lakes - good base town to stay in

Been working on this trip for about 5-6 months and know at least 6-8 places I plan to see. Will spend 3-4 days in the Finger Lakes area then ride to Nigaria Falls, Canada for 2-3 days. Leaving from just south of Baltimore and plan to make the first night stop in the FL area. Will be riding with 4-5 others bikes the last week of July so I will need 3-4 rooms. Thought I would check on motel prices as one of the couples ask me how much to budget for motels. To my surpirse when I checked motels in Watkins Glen, were I planned to stay, many were already booked, except the ones for $175 a night, for the 3-4 days I am lookng at. What other towns would you suggest I stay in that offer decent food, lodging, scenery, and to use as a home base while we are in the area? I plan to book a room and then ride different roads each day and in the late afternoon end up at the same hotel for the night. From the map I see: Horse Heads, Geneva, Naples, Canandigua, Penn Yan, ??

Old 03-12-2015, 03:50 PM
PopPop2
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at Penn Yan, Branchport, Montour Falls or Hammondsport.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:45 PM
CarrollB
Tourer

Thanks PopPop2. I will look at them this weekend and see what prices are for rooms and if any are available. Planning a trip where 4-5 others are involved is not easy when you have to book rooms 4 months in advance.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:30 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Check out Wellsboro PA, where I live. It's upstate PA, 12 miles west of Mansfield & route 15, and a half hour or less to the NY border. I can get to Watkins Glen in about an hour. Plus, good day rides to lots of scenic, cool things to see, and great riding in this part of the country. PA Grand Canyon, Kinzua Bridge State Park, Kinzua Dam, Letchworth State Park in central NY, Hyner View in PA where you might be able to watch some hang gliding, Benezette PA which has the largest population of free-roaming elk east of CO, easy day ride to wine country & great riding around the lakes --- stuff like that. Wellsboro's a beautiful little New England-type town with restaurants within walking distance of almost anywhere you stay. The Sherwood Motel is a bike friendly place right in town. Park the bikes, and walk to everything after you get back there. Google Wellsboro & all the above mentioned places, and click on images.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:45 AM
BigWaterJim
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 127 Posts

I bet NASCAR is there that weekend. I have been up there in summer and while it's not empty of tourons there is plenty of rooms and no wait at resturants. If you go north out of WG about 1mi there are a couple of motels up that way. Last summer a decent room with lake view was $105.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:04 PM
CarrollB
Tourer

BigwaterJim you are right. There is a vintage car race that weekend. Will probably stay in Geneva as currently they have some rooms for about $75 a night. I just want a clean bed, and hot shower, and I don't plan on buying the room.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:57 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We run up that way every year or 2. We usually stay in Corning. Close enough for day rides to all the lakes. It still may be tough with a race in Watkins Glen. If you like museums, go check out the Glenn Curtis museum over in Hammondsport.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:27 PM
Macker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've listed the ones I'd suggest. Canandaigua is a great place and would be a good choice. Geneva as well. Penn Yan is a bit smaller so might have a tougher time get the rooms you need for multiple days. Ithaca would be another good choice, college town ( Cornell) good bars, motels etc.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:00 PM
Fognobber
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ithaca would be a good choice, centrally located at the southern tip of Cayuga Lake. Many motel and restaurant choices available.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:18 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Try National Hotel in the Village of Bath, NY located South of all the Western Finger Lakes. $75/night. There's a lot of good back roads that can lead you through many places including wineries. If you need more info...Just inbox me and will be more than glad to give you advices and details.

Thorey

Thorey