Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Riding around Hawley PA

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 08:17 PM
goofey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding around Hawley PA

I have a chance to get a condo around Hawley PA for a week around the end of May or first of October. Can anybody tell me if there is any good riding around here ? What would be the best time to go Weather wise May or October. I would be coming from Illinois so if anybody knows some roads to ride or things to see on the way out would appreciate that info also. Thanks

Old 02-22-2015, 08:32 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

The best riding in PA is west of route 15. (15 goes north-south between Harrisburg PA & Corning NY.) Come into PA on route 6. 6 goes through Hawley, but I personally don't care much for the ride on 6 once you get over near Scranton, and from there heading east. Some guys here like riding around in the Poconos, but I don't think I would. New York City goes to the Poconos for the weekend, and it's not fun. I'm an outside sales rep, and I hate being anywhere near Stroudsburg (or any of that area) on a Friday afternoon, even in the car! Maybe somebody who lives over that way will be able to help you more with "back roads" over there. Could still be a little cold in May. Maybe in Oct too, but you'd get to see the foliage in October.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:29 AM
Iron Vaquero
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hola! Where in Illinois are ya traveling from? I would reccomend that you check out the Upper Deleware River Gap, specifically NY97; here is a link: http://www.upperdelawarescenicbyway.org/
http://www.nps.gov/upde/planyourvisit/camping.htm
US15 is a very nice ride! US209 is scenic as well. Milford is a nice town, Gray Towers is there: http://www.greytowers.org/
The Hudson Valley is right by you and is very beautiful.
May will be warmer than mid-October, which will be CHILLY! You are a days ride from a lot of interesting places in south-central PA, western NY and western NJ. PA has a very nice visitors guide. I live in Lancaster County and normally travel '209 to reach Maine and NY. Milford is a good three hours and Hawley probably is comprable. Feel free to e-mail me at ironvaquero@gmail.com if you have any further questions!

Old 02-23-2015, 08:54 AM
goofey
Cruiser

Thanks for the info. It looks like some pretty good riding just wondering if the weather is going to be chilly when I want come out . I will think about it and hopefully get a little more info. Thanks again

Old 02-23-2015, 11:35 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

OK, Here ya go. In downtown Hawley you have the dam for Lake Wallenpaupack on the west side of Rt. 6. Cross over the spillway heading north and make the first right heading east. To your right will be the start of the Lackawaxen River. Follow this road for a couple of miles and look for a small paved road on the right with a small sign that says Kimbles. Turn right and this will follow the Lackawaxen to it's confluence with the Delaware River.

At the rivers confluence will be a small park and the Zane Grey Museum. Check it out. About 200 yards south is the Roblings Bridge, take that across the Delaware. It was built as an aqueduct by the guy that designed the Brooklyn Bridge. Now you will be at Rt. 97. If you turn south (right) it will take you to the Hawks Nest. This is a MUST do ride for anyone in the area. You will know when you get there. Now turn around and head north.

How old are you? Can you remember the summer of 1969? Then head to Woodstock. North on 97, right on 55, left on 17B to Bethel. On the right will be signs leading to Yazgurs Farm. You know you're there by all the old grey haired hippies.

You're now a short run to the Catskills to the north or head back to the river, follow it north to Skinner's falls and watch the canoe's bash and flip on the rocks. Great entertainment and lunch spot. (bring a lunch)

There is a lot of good riding on either side of the river, just get a good map and follow the little lines. In Honesdale, PA just north of Hawley is Bears (sp)H-D. They have pretty good pricing.

Warning: When riding in this part of NY there are about 6 Rt. 17's. Pay careful attention to the letters. The locals may tell you, "yeah, go up a mile and make a right on 17" That is not a direction, it's a confusion. Have a detailed map.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:24 PM
goofey
Cruiser

Thanks for the info Buzzard.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:18 PM
xsarge110
Intermediate

Hi Goofey - can you give us any ideas of what you want to see out this way?

I'd be happy to offer more suggestions - just not sure what you want to see..

Jim Thorpe isn't too far from Hawley, Pottsville (Yuengling Brewery) isn't too far either. Others have said and I'll second - NY 97 is a great ride! The boulder field in Hickory Run state park is close as well.

Take Care and enjoy your visit!

Old 02-25-2015, 04:12 PM
yellowpearlfb
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BUZZARD II
OK, Here ya go. In downtown Hawley you have the dam for Lake Wallenpaupack on the west side of Rt. 6. Cross over the spillway heading north and make the first right heading east. To your right will be the start of the Lackawaxen River. Follow this road for a couple of miles and look for a small paved road on the right with a small sign that says Kimbles. Turn right and this will follow the Lackawaxen to it's confluence with the Delaware River.

At the rivers confluence will be a small park and the Zane Grey Museum. Check it out. About 200 yards south is the Roblings Bridge, take that across the Delaware. It was built as an aqueduct by the guy that designed the Brooklyn Bridge. Now you will be at Rt. 97. If you turn south (right) it will take you to the Hawks Nest. This is a MUST do ride for anyone in the area. You will know when you get there. Now turn around and head north.

How old are you? Can you remember the summer of 1969? Then head to Woodstock. North on 97, right on 55, left on 17B to Bethel. On the right will be signs leading to Yazgurs Farm. You know you're there by all the old grey haired hippies.

You're now a short run to the Catskills to the north or head back to the river, follow it north to Skinner's falls and watch the canoe's bash and flip on the rocks. Great entertainment and lunch spot. (bring a lunch)

There is a lot of good riding on either side of the river, just get a good map and follow the little lines. In Honesdale, PA just north of Hawley is Bears (sp)H-D. They have pretty good pricing.

Warning: When riding in this part of NY there are about 6 Rt. 17's. Pay careful attention to the letters. The locals may tell you, "yeah, go up a mile and make a right on 17" That is not a direction, it's a confusion. Have a detailed map.
When and if you get to the lackawaxen river find a spot to pull off and keep your eyes open for bald eagles.
Also....it's Baer HD.