Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Nashville, Gatlinburg & the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 12:57 PM
BobbyBouche
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nashville, Gatlinburg & the Dragon

Taking a guys trip this summer and these are some of the places we plan on hitting along the way. I have also read a must is the Cherahala Skyway and the Fontana Village area is very nice. Need advice of the places to see off the beaten path...the Mom & Pop places to eat...places to avoid....places that are "must see". We have 10 day.....figure 2 of them spent in Nashville to see some shows and get a quick feel for the music/bar scene there. Where should we avoid and what is a must see in Nashville? Same for Gatlinburg. The Dragon is one of those "bucket list" things for any rider I guess.....to say you did it once. None of us are worried about even trying to go fast but my question is can you actually enjoy the ride/views or are you working at all times to make the next turn? Is it actually an enjoyable ride on a bagger? Had some really good input on a Key West/Florida Gulf trip when I asked a while back and Im hoping to get the same good feedback again...help me out if you know of anything or any good places. Hotels, Restaurants, Bars....thanks everyone.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:41 PM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nashville is a great city, lots of history in/around there.

Gatlinburg is a tourist trap & horrible riding through it with traffic.

The Cherahala Skyaway is a great road. Check out the Fontana dam while your over there. The Dragon is over-rated, much better roads in the area to ride. If you ride within your skill level, you will have no issues riding it.

Wheels through time in Maggie Valley is a popular destination if your going a bit farther east.

You will get a lot of input on what roads to ride & where to stay/eat

Old 02-06-2015, 05:07 PM
fastglass
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just go to Broadway st in Nashville.Cherohala,Moonshiner 28,and the Blue Ridge Parkway while you are in east TN.Go thru Townsend to get to Gatlinburg,it is a much nicer ride.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:11 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,807 Likes on 19,319 Posts

Originally Posted by tOSUSteve
Nashville is a great city, lots of history in/around there.

Gatlinburg is a tourist trap & horrible riding through it with traffic.

The Cherahala Skyaway is a great road. Check out the Fontana dam while your over there. The Dragon is over-rated, much better roads in the area to ride. If you ride within your skill level, you will have no issues riding it.

Wheels through time in Maggie Valley is a popular destination if your going a bit farther east.

You will get a lot of input on what roads to ride & where to stay/eat
I've been through that area several times and this is good advice.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:58 PM
Perry um
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Some good suggestions already, one I would add is Helen Georgia. Cool little town with some great roads.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:13 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

I always tell folks to check out the 68 from Tellico Plains to Ducktown.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:43 PM
mmbikemike1
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes to what these guys said, wheels through time is great and well worth the trip, you can do the dragon,skyway down to tellico, overnight it, then up 68 to ducktown, then 64 out to Murphy NC and on over to Cherokee n Maggie valley where wheels through time is, I could go on and on, oh yeah, the blue ridge parkway from Cherokee to Asheville NC is cool as well. Overnight in Cherokee or Maggie valley then hop on the parkway to Asheville. When you get into east TN stop by smokey mountain hd, a lot of folks there on any given day during the season, great source for rides and info

Old 02-07-2015, 08:39 AM
Grandslam
Road Warrior
Received 335 Likes on 208 Posts

In my opinion, if you were to try and enjoy the scenery on the Dragon while riding, there are no scenic views. There may be some in the turns where there are pull offs, but I guess I missed them.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:59 AM
pfnork66
Cruiser

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

All the suggestions are great. The area has the very best riding I have found in this country. I got to meet a very nice TN officer on the Dragon. Radar said 32MPH over limit! Cost $20.
Maggie Valley is a must for any motorcycle rider.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:19 PM
BobbyBouche
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Great info

Thanks everyone....already got the map out planning routes. Any must see places while in Nashville? Fontana area sounds like a must also. Keep them coming please....the more info the better. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Nashville, Gatlinburg & the Dragon