Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

small road help

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 04:17 PM
Suruchi
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small road help

Hi folks,

I'm a new rider and now that I have my own bike, my hubby and I want to plan some road trips. is there any website or publication that focuses on small roads and tells about the quality of the road etc. I would like to avoid interstates and be able to just mosey along seeing the country and stopping when the mood strikes. thanks!

Old 12-28-2014, 05:41 PM
Perry um
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

There are many sites out there, just search "motorcycle roads", I use this one. Seems to work well. http://www.motorcycleroads.com

Old 12-28-2014, 05:46 PM
robw
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try freetrip.com.
Also most map sites have an option to avoid highways when you plan a trip.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:47 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Seems like Google maps might tell you about interstate construction. I've planned non-interstate routes, and never had a problem with the quality of the road. I've posted here, and asked people if there's something along the route that I should stop & see, but usually, just plan the route & go. You should be fine.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:55 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

I can help you pick just about any type of road around here that you would like. PM me and we'll chat. In the meantime you can look at these websites:

http://conditions.drivetexas.org/current/

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Texas_119.html

Last edited by Juan L; 12-28-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:54 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Try This....
http://www.roadtripusa.com

This....
http://www.discoveramerica.com/usa/road-trips.aspx

This....
http://www.planning-fun-road-trips.c...road-trip.html

Good Luck and remember all roads can lead you to happiness if you travel them without to high expectations and just go with the flow.....
Happy Trails...

Old 12-29-2014, 11:20 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 785 Likes on 472 Posts

I always map out our road trips not only because I like to know where I'm going but I like to leave behind our route for our kids in the event something happens and they need to find us. (sometimes we don't have cell service).

We try to stay off the interstate just because we're believe that getting somewhere is important but just as important is how you get there and what you see on your way.

One of the things I always do is run the route using Google Earth.
More than on a few trips I've seen that my prospective route takes me on a dirt road so I alter the route accordingly. However sometimes I decide to take the dirt road if it's short, but it's important to know it's coming.

We do at times alter our route somewhat but generally we stay on course.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:17 PM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Look into joining the Harley Owners Group (HOG). Every year they publish a Touring Handbook with a North American Atlas organized by Country, State/Province, and City. Each map contains detailed road information and they even highlight scenic routes recommended for motorcycle riders. It also includes a section of motorcycle laws in each US State and Canadian Province.

A GPS can also be handy but I would not totally rely on it. You can configure a GPS to avoid interstates but it will then try to take you down motorcycle unfriendly roads and through the bad parts of town.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:20 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Finding good motorcycle roads is why God invented winter. I go over my atlas and maps all winter long searching out the twistiest roads I can find that sort of go where I want.

For any given trip I would have half a dozen routes highlighted. Then depending on whim or weather, I would go this way or that. This method has led to the best trips I've taken. It's called serendipity.

Planning out a route with daily mileage and motel stops is boring. Nothing more than a road trip. Make it an adventure.

BTW, the Rand McNally atlas sucks and the HOG tour book in worst. Get yourself a National Geographic Adventure Road Atlas. Much more detailed with really weird places to see. How about the Coon dog grave yard? Ever hear of it? No, of course not. That's the kind of Atlas I like.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:43 PM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

I like to have a general idea on where i want to go. Its always nice to have the picture in your head and information looked at before. Most rosds should be ok. You might want to check on road construction In the state

Quick Reply: small road help