Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Durango, Silverton, Ouray

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 05:36 PM
Grandslam
Road Warrior
Received 339 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Durango, Silverton, Ouray

Just starting to plan next years trip. I am going to stay a long way from Sturgis. Probably spend about two weeks riding CO. Right now I plan to start in the SW.

For those that have spent time in this area, what are the must see and do things. Is the Durango train ride worth the day and the money? Don't miss rides in the area. The Hot Springs in Ouray? Places to eat? Places to stay or camp?

I have ridden through before on the MDH and thought Ouray seemed like a cool town.

I will probably spend the night in Durango and two nights in Ouray.

Any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:31 PM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

From what i hear, the best thing to do for the train ride is to ride up and catch the shuttle back. You get back a lot faster. otherwise you loose your whole day. I only know from what i've researched since this same trip is in my top 3 on my bucket list right now.

what time frame are you looking at? I would guess 1st week of August since you mentioned Sturgis. If/when I go i'm looking at last week of july getting back home around 3rd of August. We haven't decided yet which of our bucket list trips we will do this summer.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:26 PM
Grandslam
Road Warrior

Yea, sometime first of August or so. I would like for school to have started when I get to Rocky Mountain NP.

I will consider the bus return. Thanks for the info.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:17 AM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I stayed at the Siesta Motel in Durango for a couple of nights last August. Really nice people. It's an old motor hotel, so you park in front of your room. Clean and updated. It's away from downtown, but less than a block from a shuttle stop.

http://www.durangosiestamotel.com/

Old 11-16-2014, 08:43 AM
Whipp
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first post...

I have enjoyed my stays at the www.strater.com, it is in the middle of the historic district. They have a private MC only parking lot behind the hotel in a three sided mini courtyard that helps.

The road (550) itself is the highlight of the area IMO.

If you have time rent a jeep for a day in Ouray, pack a lunch and go for a drive up in the mountains. Nothing like it.

Town of Gateway (built by the owner or founder of the Discovery Channel) is only a couple hours north where you will find one of the OCC Choppers (made for the Discovery Channel) on display in the museum. The road that leads to Gateway (141) has some great views from the turnouts with cool info on the markers about mining and other historical info.

www.gatewayautomuseum.com

Highway 92 (North of Ouray) "The Black Canyon" is also very special with amazing views of the river from thousands feet above it.

Escalante Ruins and Historical Site (Anasazi mystery) outside of Delores is prolly worth the visit.

A hard packed very well maintained dirt road east out of Silverton will take you to Animas Forks which is a very cool and well kept ghost town. (you could take the jeep if you want)

I have a home in Colorado and have spent many days in the area if you have any questions.

Have Fun!

Larry

Last edited by Whipp; 11-16-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:37 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...r-10-days.html

This one was just posted about Colorado....do it. Great roads and views.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:50 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

We are doing the forums "Green Chile Run" August 10 to the 17th. This will take in all the 10,000 passes in Colorado. Get to see all of Colorado and ride with some great forum members. You are welcome to join.

Bill

Old 11-17-2014, 06:57 PM
Grandslam
Road Warrior

Thanks for the suggestions. Gia, I have done a lot of that already and have most of the other in my current plans. Bill, you have sparked my interest, I will have to check out the Green Chile thread. Whipp, the ghost town sounds interesting. I had thought about the jeep as well. Thanks Owtlaw.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:38 AM
rkienlen
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverton

Been going to that part of Colorado for 30 years - still fantastic. Don't forget to check out Silverton around late July/early August. Neat shops, the old train stops there, and Eagles Nest leathers (great belt buckle shop).

The 50-mile ride from Durango to Silverton is also great, if the weather is.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:17 PM
mervt198
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KOA in Ouray is quite pleasant

Quick Reply: Durango, Silverton, Ouray