Revolution Max The new Revolution Max forum

Superficial examination of the Nightster 975

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2022, 05:38 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,031 Likes on 17,923 Posts

Originally Posted by tngarren
Really insightful comments. Enjoyed your thoughts. Got me to thinking about what a well-designed / assembled bike looks like. Ducati's Multistrada V2 (937cc). Darn Italians.
Someone rides one of those Duc's at work, that is a sharp well made looking machine up close.

The following users liked this post:
tngarren (09-17-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 05:40 PM
Marsikus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4,899 Likes on 2,129 Posts

Left and right controls have a lot of space for additional buttons that do not exist.
Speedometer is analog, this is good.
Handlebar end mirrors are stock, so you won't need to search for mirror extenders.
Weird brake line routing.
Faux tank cap is just for look, unlike Buell. I don't know what's under right "airbox" when real airbox is insdie the "tank".

Old 09-17-2022, 05:52 PM
Marsikus
Ultimate HDF Member

Subjectively, considering all aforementioned, motrocycle has a lot of cheapo looking features. Unlike Sportster S which looks properly in it's style, and unlike good old Sportsters that look refined and proven to every detail.
List price here in dealership is equivalent to $19300.

tngarren (09-17-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 06:02 PM
Marsikus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Looks like just another import clone to me, just swap name tags is all.
I don't know any "original" bike to consider this one a clone. I suppose this is the result of outsourcing to the lowest bidder, in design and manufacturing.

In summary, I would like to try a test ride, and engine specs are promising, however I would not spend my $$$ on bike with such appalling build quality.

The following 2 users liked this post by Marsikus:
M Oclaf (09-26-2022), tngarren (09-17-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 10:38 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,031 Likes on 17,923 Posts

Originally Posted by Marsikus
I don't know any "original" bike to consider this one a clone. I suppose this is the result of outsourcing to the lowest bidder, in design and manufacturing.

In summary, I would like to try a test ride, and engine specs are promising, however I would not spend my $$$ on bike with such appalling build quality.
Where you are currently, ask where that particular machine was made, be interesting to see what they say.

I'm betting either India or Thailand.

Old 09-18-2022, 07:30 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,517 Likes on 2,714 Posts

Originally Posted by Marsikus
Pay attention to the axle head: a nut crudely welded to the stem.
Also, look at the lower shock mounting bracket on the swingarm. It is welded only along side edges, front and rear edges are left free. Weld seam goes wherever, because **** you that's why.
I'll agree some things are done to please the bean counters but other things are not but can be seen that way.

The welded nut on the axle has been done since the 30's if not earlier. I can only speak for what I have in my garage. I see no issue with it, it's not a show bike it a production bike thats meant to be thrashed and eventually end up being recycled.

As for the weld it's done that way for a reason, It prevents cracking. Take a look at the 86 GSXR 1100 exhaust system I have, I've had 5 and they are all the same. I can show you countless examples on exotic car frame rails where they use that very welding technique as well. I'll assume you're not an engineer grumpy or not.

My F150 has a low mounted plastic gas tank that gets crap thrown at it from the front wheels. Still no leaks.

I appreciate the choice of a plastic rear fender extension because you can remove it and change up the rear lights without painting the fender. Just like the goofy arms they add to some bikes to hold the plate to please the government but making it removable so it can be removed.

I never bitch about stock exhaust because the manufacturer's hands are tied by fuel economy, noise and emissions laws.

Sport bike air cleaners have been under the tank for eons, some have the tank elsewhere with a cover that looks like a tank where we think the tank should be.

The engine is ugly on the left side, I'll give you that. Even if the side cover was beautifully cast, that side is ugly but the left side of a knuckle head engine is no thing of beauty either.

Last edited by hellonewman; 09-18-2022 at 07:32 AM.
GPHDXLC (09-26-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 02:29 PM
Geriden
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting observations.
The tank being positioned so low to the ground by the rear wheel is a bit concerning... better hope you dont hit any debris else you'll be pissing fuel

Old 09-26-2022, 09:38 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 367 Likes on 256 Posts

Most everything that all of you are complaining about is in reality, not a problem. The only complaint I agree with is the left side engin of the new Sportster is ugly. Otherwise I would like to ride.one, but with forward controls only.

The following 2 users liked this post by GPHDXLC:
hellonewman (09-30-2022), martin10 (10-07-2022)
Old 10-08-2022, 08:16 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 512 Likes on 334 Posts

Sat on one at the dealership yesterday. Like the riding position. Overall fairly impressed with the effort. Like others have pointed out the cables are messy looking. And it wouldn't take much to design a cover to hide the rats nest on the left side. If I was in the market I would wait a year or so for the bugs to get worked out.

GPHDXLC (10-08-2022)
Old 10-08-2022, 09:22 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 367 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
Sat on one at the dealership yesterday. Like the riding position. Overall fairly impressed with the effort. Like others have pointed out the cables are messy looking. And it wouldn't take much to design a cover to hide the rats nest on the left side. If I was in the market I would wait a year or so for the bugs to get worked out.
That's what I'm thinking, my next new one will be a 2024. I hope by then They may have more options and the bugs worked out.

Quick Reply: Superficial examination of the Nightster 975