22 nightster RH975T starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2022, 04:19 PM
SpendDemon
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Repeated priblem

Originally Posted by K. Lindberg
Do not know what is causing the problem with your bike, but you need to visit the dealer in person to make sure they are working on your bike to sort it out.

So many times I have been informed over phone that the workshop is working on my bike only to find when visiting that nothing has been touched on the bike at all.
like many of new 2022 Nightster owners. I also have this problem. It is in the connection of the left and right handlebar modules behind a cover of each side of the air box. Unplug and then plug back in. The bike will start. I am waiting on replacement modules from Harley Davidson. Another user found that unhooking and then reconnecting the negative battery cable with get the bike started. HARLEY DAVIDSON NEEDS A PERMANENT FIX FOR THIS PROBLEM . Keep track of how many how many times and days in the shop for Lemon Law remedy

Old 07-12-2022, 04:02 PM
sbee1000
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally happened to me. Speedo lights up, but notably not able to toggle between time, RPM, miles, etc. and will not start. Stuck on the Blue Ridge Parkway after rest stop. Followed advice and disconnected/reconnected battery. Bike started right up.

Old 07-13-2022, 09:16 AM
SpendDemon
6th Gear
Default Fix for Nightster starting issues

Originally Posted by Myers92
Purchased the bike less than a month ago. 2022 Harley Nightster RH975T with 6 miles on it.

I rode the bike under normal conditions in Mesa, Arizona. A week after I purchased the bike and less than 100 miles of riding, I experienced a no start condition. I went to leave work one and the bike wouldn’t crank to start. I could flip the ignition switch on (key fob start no key) and attempt to press the start button. Absolutely nothing would happen when you pressed the button on top of the ignition switch to start it. I changed the battery in the key fob just to make sure it wasn’t that, it didn’t change anything.

I contacted the dealership I purchased the bike from, they promptly picked it up and took it back to the dealership. They called me the next day and told me the bike was ready to be picked up. When I picked the bike up the service manager advised me that the no start condition, along with 11 DTC’s were caused bike a lose connection going to one of the modules on the bike and they fixed the issue by simply reconnecting the plug(s) and re routing the wiring harness to help prevent the issue from happening again.

I took the bike home that day and continued to ride it for another week following that issue. Less than 9 days after the original incident occurred, I went to leave work and the bike wouldn’t start. (Less than 200 miles on the bike still at this point). I immediately contacted the dealership again, explained it was the same issue again. (Had the contact the GM of the dealership I purchased the bike from because I wasn’t able to contact anyone in the service department after several attempts for the entire day following the bike not starting again)

The dealership picked up the bike the following day (the same day I was able to contact the GM of the dealership about the problem with the bike)

I’m putting this information on here, asking if anyone else has recently purchased a 22’ Nightster recently and wondering if they have experienced any issues like this.

It’s now been 4 days since the dealership has picked up the bike for the second time for the same issues and no one from the dealership has even attempted to contact me to update me on the condition of the bike.

any advice or information would be very helpful, thank you.
The problem is with the left and right hand control modules. A temporary fix is to remove the access on the left side of the air box, This will remove both the left and right side access covers. Unplug the white wire connection and then reconnect it. This will reset the modules and the bike will start. You can also remove and reinstall the negative battery cable. Harley Davidson knows of the problem. After this happened to me twice, I had the modules replaced under warranty. My Dealership also tells me that this problem is happening on the Pan American bike.

The following users liked this post:
Bluej777x (04-22-2024)
Old 07-21-2022, 04:05 PM
Rich D.
Stage II
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Main Fuse

Same problem here. Dealer contacted HD, who sent new RH module. New RH module was installed and bike still had starting issue. HD told dealer it was a software issue that was being worked. No completion date given to dealer by HD.

However, HD did provide a workaround: Pull the main fuse and reinstall after 30 seconds. The main fuse is located behind the small plastic panel to the right of the steering head. Remove plastic panel by pushing up on the bottom. The fuse on my bike is colored green inside a yellow casing. See attached photo.

I have not had use this workaround yet, but if it works, it's a heck of a lot easier than disconnecting the battery cable.

Last edited by Rich D.; 07-21-2022 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Adding Content
The following 3 users liked this post by Rich D.:
Bluej777x (04-22-2024), jammerx (09-11-2022), SpendDemon (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 09:20 PM
SpendDemon
6th Gear
Default 22 Nightster starting error

Purchased the bike less than a month ago. 2022 Harley Nightster RH975T with 6 miles on it.

I rode the bike under normal conditions in Mesa, Arizona. A week after I purchased the bike and less than 100 miles of riding, I experienced a no start condition. I went to leave work one and the bike wouldn’t crank to start. I could flip the ignition switch on (key fob start no key) and attempt to press the start button. Absolutely nothing would happen when you pressed the button on top of the ignition switch to start it. I changed the battery in the key fob just to make sure it wasn’t that, it didn’t change anything.

I contacted the dealership I purchased the bike from, they promptly picked it up and took it back to the dealership. They called me the next day and told me the bike was ready to be picked up. When I picked the bike up the service manager advised me that the no start condition, along with 11 DTC’s were caused bike a lose connection going to one of the modules on the bike and they fixed the issue by simply reconnecting the plug(s) and re routing the wiring harness to help prevent the issue from happening again.

I took the bike home that day and continued to ride it for another week following that issue. Less than 9 days after the original incident occurred, I went to leave work and the bike wouldn’t start. (Less than 200 miles on the bike still at this point). I immediately contacted the dealership again, explained it was the same issue again. (Had the contact the GM of the dealership I purchased the bike from because I wasn’t able to contact anyone in the service department after several attempts for the entire day following the bike not starting again)

The dealership picked up the bike the following day (the same day I was able to contact the GM of the dealership about the problem with the bike)

I’m putting this information on here, asking if anyone else has recently purchased a 22’ Nightster recently and wondering if they have experienced any issues like this.

It’s now been 4 days since the dealership has picked up the bike for the second time for the same issues and no one from the dealership has even attempted to contact me to update me on the condition of the bike.

Have Harley Davidson replace both handlebar modules. I had the same problem and Harley said some of the Nightster had defective modules. Unhooking the modules connection on each side of the air box (behind a panel) or the negative battery cable cable is a temporary fix to get you home. So far, replacing the modules has eliminated by problem, but I now added a fork tool bag if needed. The old adage applies here”DO NOT GET THE FIRST YEAR OF A MOTORCYCLE—GIVE IT TIME TO GET THE BUGS FIXED “. I do love my Nightster and I hope that this problem is fixed.

Old 07-21-2022, 09:27 PM
SpendDemon
6th Gear
Default 2022 starting error Nightster

Originally Posted by Rich D.

Main Fuse

Same problem here. Dealer contacted HD, who sent new RH module. New RH module was installed and bike still had starting issue. HD told dealer it was a software issue that was being worked. No completion date given to dealer by HD.

However, HD did provide a workaround: Pull the main fuse and reinstall after 30 seconds. The main fuse is located behind the small plastic panel to the right of the steering head. Remove plastic panel by pushing up on the bottom. The fuse on my bike is colored green inside a yellow casing. See attached photo.

I have not had use this workaround yet, but if it works, it's a heck of a lot easier than disconnecting the battery cable.
I thought that this would work. So after having both modules replaced, no problems. I have now installed a front fork tool bag. Hopefully, I will never need it for this problem. I would hate to have this problem after dark.

The following users liked this post:
Bluej777x (04-22-2024)
Old 07-26-2022, 12:43 AM
Brad0210
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation No Start Problem

This has become a huge problem for this Nightster. Check the facebook page for the nightster 975T for more references to this. I have counted around 16 or 17 ppl with the same issues so far that have posted on the FB page. My bike has been at the dealer now for 5 weeks with no end in sight with the same problems. They have replaced the wiring harness at least 2 times. i don't know what all they've tried; they don't like to give much info. I don't think they know what to do to fix the problems...I wish I had known before getting this bike, should'n't have gotten the first model. Hindsight is 20/20, right. I hope harley does the right thing for their current customers! I wonder if someone has to be killed when the bikes quit in traffic before they decide they Have to do something? Harley are you reading this? Do The Right Thing before a tragedy occurs!

Old 07-26-2022, 04:45 PM
Kordos
1st Gear
Default Same problems in Europe

The same problem happens all over the world. The starting failure occurred on my motorcycle from day one. So far I fix it by disconnecting the fuse but it's a real shame that Harley Davidson hasn't corrected this widespread fault. I am very unhappy with the Harley Davidson company. In Spain it is considered a premium brand but you see any Chinese motorcycle running on the street. My nightster is stopped... Luckily the dealer is being great with me and they are trying every day to get Harley Davidson to come up with a solution to the problem. I hope that the problem is solved because here in Europe Harley Davidson is not exactly cheap. Paying more than twenty thousand dollars for a motorcycle that does not work is not a good deal.

Old 07-28-2022, 04:10 PM
dugg
Stage I

Just registered so I could add to this and validate the “this is happening across the board” idea.

Finally got my Nightster last week. After day 1 of a long ride, bike wouldn’t start. Found this thread, pulled the main fuse and reinstalled, bike started. Lather rinse repeat for a few days. Sometimes a check engine light hangs around, sometimes it doesn’t.

Last Saturday I pulled/reset the main fuse, disconnected/reconnected both battery terminals, unplugged/plugged starter relay AND disconnected/reconnected starter relay terminals. I had gone until about Monday evening until the problem showed back up. I ran the diagnostic mode and here’s all of the codes for every system;

ECM

P037400

U014200

U236700

U238700

SPEDO

U014200

U014000

B122A11

ABS

U014200

BCM

U045767

U014200

Apparently every component in the bike has failed lol. Obviously this isn’t the case because the bike runs great, but this points me to an ECM/module/computer/software problem.

Anyway. That’s all. Hopefully this helps some folks understand why their brand new Nightster isn’t starting and that no, they did not in fact, completely ruin their brand new bike.

Last edited by dugg; 07-28-2022 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-29-2022, 09:08 PM
maxdoering2005
Stage I
Default I have the same problematic

I had the same exact problem except right now this is the third time it won’t start. After the second time they had to contact the manufacturer and get a brand new part for it. They said it would solve the problem but lo and behold this happened again a few weeks later. I am absolutely dumbfounded with what’s going on. They’re coming to pick up the bike tomorrow and I have no idea what the result will be but I will let you know. Seems like a common defect. I have never even took my bike over, no crashes no nothing. I treat it like a baby .

Quick Reply: 22 nightster RH975T starting issues