Revolution Max The new Revolution Max forum

Thoughts on The Street Fighter 975

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 05:55 AM
K9F
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 252 Posts

14 months ago since my last post on this thread I did eventually pull the trigger on an FTR. In the manufacturers attempt to meet strict emissions it doesn't realistically matter what professed figures are, torque delivery, smoothness and overall rideability are what counts. Test rides as historically explained were not to be had. Whilst initial thought were 'this ain't too bad' truth was it did not run right at all. Handling was great, braking was great as was comfort but cold stalling and quite a flat spot at about 3500 rpm was noticeable. It took some considerable 'time and dime' to get it to run how it should have run out of the box. Dependent on where you live of course services like Fuel Moto are not available to all and you may have to run with a bike that underperforms and disappoints rather than one that has the potential to run like a raped ape? Hopefully Harley's latest foray into naked bikes will run sweet as a nut right off the showroom floors in huge numbers? Who really knows? Indian got the launch of the FTR horrendously wrong in my opinion but it is a great all rounder.

Last edited by K9F; 05-31-2020 at 05:58 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by K9F:
Hungry J0e (04-15-2021), Phlipper (04-10-2021)
Old 06-01-2020, 05:11 PM
spartan03
Tourer
Received 289 Likes on 138 Posts

If HD can package a nice LC ICE in something akin to the Livewire body (looks, handling, suspension, ergos, etc) at a price competitive with European bikes, I think they will have a winner. Engine/motor aside, I would put the handling of my LW against my 2016 R1200R any day.

The following users liked this post:
VAFish (06-02-2020)
Old 04-10-2021, 10:45 PM
Phlipper
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, since HD dropped the Bronx we'll never know how good it was. Shame.

Soooo ... I just bought a left-over FTR. If I can get the fueling right I think I will love it.

K9F (04-11-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 02:29 AM
K9F
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 252 Posts

Hi Phlipper,

The dropping of the Bronx simply reaffirmed my belief I made the right decision and yes it is a damn shame. Just seen a post elsewhere. Unless you bite the bullet and sort out the tuning yourself relying on the dealership will leave you bitterly disappointed and a bike that may not be entirely reliable to meet your demands when riding it hard. The FTR is a cracking bike once the true potential has been released by the services of one of the two reputable tuners. It still continues to scratch the itches my behemoth of a CVO Breakout can't quite reach. Stick with it! Good luck!

Same pub as above different livery.

My 'prize' is the fact both bikes provide me with a smile every mile I take either for a spin but for completely different reasons!

Last edited by K9F; 04-11-2021 at 02:46 AM.
Phlipper (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 08:23 AM
Phlipper
Tourer

I should hear some news by COB today. Hopefully it will be "Well we farted around and ignored what you told us about the fueling issues and of course we couldn't fix it. So Polaris says they'll pay for a Lloyd's ECU flash."

I can dream.

It's getting the V6 bench flash either way. Just got back to work after surgery so I can bite the bullet next week. I work 40 mins away from Indian of Charlotte/Lloyds Garage.

Oooohhh ... I gotta update my sig. Lost one Harley and added another Indian to the stable.

Last edited by Phlipper; 04-13-2021 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:49 AM
Hungry J0e
Cruiser

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

What frustrates me about the FTR stuff is I don't remember any of the fueling map stuff being mentioned on the first year reviews. Now, every review your read says "well... of course the fuel map issues are a serious issue..."
Wish the journalists weren't so co-dependent with the manufacturers...

Phlipper (04-15-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 08:19 PM
Phlipper
Tourer

I wonder if HD will stand the Bronx program back up soon, considering all the buzz about the new 2021/2022 FTR? Seems there are a lot of us cruiser types who also like having a play bike around. I've always had a couple of HDs along with a hooligan ride. Have had a race-prepped Honda Hawk, Suzuki TLS, Monster 900, Buell City Cross, Street Triple (my favorite bike ever). Having a play bike that I can also ride pack with the club is kinda nice. More room in the garage that way.

That said, not sure there are enough of us wired that way to make it profitable for MoCo. Also doubt the Bronx would pull many young crotch rocket guys away from awesome and (likely) less expensive machines like the Z900, GSX-S1000, MT-10, etc. I could see the Ducati and KTM Super Duke types taking a stab at one. With MoCo's current precarious position that may be a gamble in which the numbers don't make sense.

In other news ... LAP is building the last RX and SX versions of the Buell machine again. I rode an SX and it was KILLER! But I feel lack of support will scare many away.

Last edited by Phlipper; 04-15-2021 at 08:31 PM.
K9F (04-16-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 07:05 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,165 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Originally Posted by Phlipper
I wonder if HD will stand the Bronx program back up soon, considering all the buzz about the new 2021/2022 FTR? Seems there are a lot of us cruiser types who also like having a play bike around. I've always had a couple of HDs along with a hooligan ride. Have had a race-prepped Honda Hawk, Suzuki TLS, Monster 900, Buell City Cross, Street Triple (my favorite bike ever). Having a play bike that I can also ride pack with the club is kinda nice. More room in the garage that way.

That said, not sure there are enough of us wired that way to make it profitable for MoCo. Also doubt the Bronx would pull many young crotch rocket guys away from awesome and (likely) less expensive machines like the Z900, GSX-S1000, MT-10, etc. I could see the Ducati and KTM Super Duke types taking a stab at one. With MoCo's current precarious position that may be a gamble in which the numbers don't make sense.

In other news ... LAP is building the last RX and SX versions of the Buell machine again. I rode an SX and it was KILLER! But I feel lack of support will scare many away.
I didn't think the Bronx was completely canceled, I thought they just delayed the introduction, or "Put it on hold".

The one thing I can't understand about the Bronx, is why make it a 975 if the 975 motor is the same size as the 1250?

Pugslycat01 (04-20-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 08:55 AM
Hungry J0e
Cruiser

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by VAFish
I didn't think the Bronx was completely canceled, I thought they just delayed the introduction, or "Put it on hold".

The one thing I can't understand about the Bronx, is why make it a 975 if the 975 motor is the same size as the 1250?
Hard to say. With the variable valve timing, that engine is extraordinarily flexible in how you tune it...

Old 04-20-2021, 01:32 PM
Pugslycat01
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by VAFish

I think they just put it on hold because trying to roll out the Pan America and the Bronx at the same time was more than they could handle with the available resources. They are having a tough enough time breaking into the ADV market segment without trying to push their way into the street nakeds at the same time. The 1250 Custom isn't such a big deal because the V-Rod and FXDR already give them some credibility amongst the muscle cruiser fans.

My best guess is that the Bronx is the 975 engine because crotch rockets are 650cc or liter bikes to fit racing classes. It's also a start towards pushing these engines out in the three smaller sizes that were promised.

The following 3 users liked this post by Pugslycat01:
biglew55 (04-20-2021), cacomly (04-22-2021), VAFish (04-22-2021)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on The Street Fighter 975