Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Electric riding gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 01:17 PM
thegreenbasturd
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric riding gear

I'm interested in getting the Harley electric jacket and gloves, if you have tried one or both of these please tell me what you think.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:21 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Electric riding gear

I have both the jacket liner and gloves. I bought the Gerbings stuff. They make the HD stuff, only it is a little cheaper because it lacks the HD tag.

Buying that stuff was the best motorcycle accessory money that I have ever spent. It's great being able to ride in below freezing temps and not having to bundle up. Do yourself a favor and get the Gerbing G3 gloves. They cost a little more, but are less bulky. I have the Classic gloves and find them a little too bulky for my tastes.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:42 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have both the HD heated jacket liner and the heated gloves. They are awesome for extending your riding season. Make sure to get the Dual Thermostat control so you can control the heat for the jacket and gloves separately. Easy to hookup to your battery too!

Old 12-29-2006, 06:09 PM
thegreenbasturd
6th Gear

Thanx for your responses. Your very helpfull to a newbie. Are you Canadian riders?

Old 12-30-2006, 02:26 PM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

I have the old stye Gerbing jacket and when it "shrunk?" []I started looking for a replacement. The great thing about the old style was it was easy to pack away and take with you. Their new style is just too bulky for me with all the insulation added so I went to http://www.warmnsafe.com/index.htm

Less bulky (no insulation) so you don't have to take it off mid day if the weather warms up. Fits better under the leather jacket. Plus, to me at least, the smaller size means Ihave room totake something else with me on a road trip.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:14 AM
JBA111
Road Captain

I have the Harley jacket liner and it will roast you. I like it. I have the Gerbing G3 Gloves and I like that they are thinner than the Harley gloves, but mine do not get hot enough to run in freeze temps. Below 40s and the thumbs will get Cold after an hour or so.
They should have wraped the wire arround the end of the thumbs a couple times and it would have been a great design.
I think Gerbing does not ride with their product much or they would have figured this out preaty quick. Other than that they seem preaty good, but for 165 bucks I dindn't expect cold thumbs..

Old 01-01-2007, 03:27 AM
blown alcohol
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the gerbing jacket and classic gloves. I am happy with both items.
I choose the classic gloves over the G3 gloves, because they are warmer. I rode in the upper 30's with the G3's, and hands didn't get to warm just stayed comfortable. Both gloves have the same heating element though.
I have not had a chance to ride in the 30's yet with the classic's, but in the low 40's I had to turn down the heat.

JBA111, I have read posts about people sending their gloves/jackets back to gerbing to correct hot or cold spots. Maybe after the winter you can send in your gloves to correct the heating in the thumbs.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:23 AM
capt42a
Road Master

I have the Harley heated jacket liner along with the Harley heated gloves. I'm real happy with the jacket liner, but the gloves don't seem to get as warm as the jacket and agree they are a little bulky. I was told at a bike/car/boat show in Nashville this past saturday by a Gerbing dealer,that Gerbing does supply the wiring for the Harley gear and that's all, the rest is done overseas. Gerbing also has a new glove that is not as bulky as the Harley gloves. Harley- warranty 2 yrs/ Gerbing- lifetimewarranty
capt42a

Old 03-12-2007, 09:23 PM
tourman
Cruiser

Warm & Safe gear is designed by people who actually ride bikes! Gerbing copied many of their designs.
Warm & Safe also has some new gloves coming out in a few weeks that are awsome! Check their products out before you buy

Old 03-13-2007, 12:38 AM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Harley gloves and the Gerbings jacket liner along with the dual thermostat control. Wouldn't trade 'em for the world. The picture I use as my Avatar is me on an interstate highway on a 29 degree day in January doing 80 and sweating[/b] because I hadn't figured out the thermostats yet.

The Gerbings jacket liner is pretty thin. It sounds like the Harley is thicker.

My top tip is: clip the thermostat unit to the top of your chaps leg. It puts it in a handy spot to work the controls. When I had it clipped to my jacket I couldn't see it and with the heavy gloves I couldn't feel it very well. [/i]

I'm looking forward to the day I don't have to wear the heated clothes, but until then, I love 'em.

Quick Reply: Electric riding gear