Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Halcyon goggles

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 07:10 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,043 Likes on 494 Posts
Default Halcyon goggles

This is what I think about them so far (used them twice now, in the cold, which was basically what I wanted them for)...

They're the Halcyon model Mark 9 Vintage. I'd tried other large-like goggles to cover the eye opening hole in the Schampa balaclava I wear in the winter, to keep the cold wind from entering and making my eyes water and parts of my face freeze and hurt.

Nothing was 'sealing' very well and I was suffering and was really beginning to hate riding in the winter.

I got these Halcyons and the very next day had a PGR mission that was a good 60 miles one way from the house and it was cold, didn't warm up like the weather idiot said it would. The goggles sealed fantastically. There was no 'vents' that I had to cover with little pieces of duct tape to keep too much air/cold air from getting in them and making my eyes water. They were also *comfortable*! The padding in the soft leather was really, really nice!

I personally didn't have any problem with them being too big and interfering with the way my half-helmet sat on my head. According to them, it does bother enough people that Halcyoin makes a 'smaller' profile goggle for those with that problem.

So far, I'm extremely happy with them. I haven't had the chance to wear them in rain or with the tinted lenses I ordered with them. Once I do wear them in sun and rain, I'll write that up too.

They offer laminated glass or a damn fine, clear polycarbonate. The plastic is very clear, but you can still see a tiny (very tiny!) amount of blur in little areas of the lenses. Not enough to bother anything or make riding unsafe, but it's there if you look close. If you're not paying attention, you won't see that kind of thing. I'll eventually get the glass, simply because I feel it's just going to be better in the long run, since glass doesn't scratch like plastic will.

I ordered mine from England http://classicpartsltd.com/, at the actual Halcyon factory because I found them to be about $20+ cheaper than anyone who was selling them here in the states, and that's including the shipping (btw, they're having a nice sale at the moment)! I was having trouble with them getting here and eventually found out it was *my* country's mail that had screwed things up. The folks at Halcyon sent me another pair without waiting for the first pair to even return to them. They were very friendly and couldn't be more helpful. I told them I'd let everyone know about them and help spread the word about how great they are and how well their products work.