Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

SaddleBagSecure for Harley Touring Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:22 PM
AbnMP13
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SaddleBagSecure for Harley Touring Bikes

Received my saddlbagsecure kit from Brukus today; sat and read over the installation instructions and approximately 3 minutes later I had both sides installed. The hardest part of the installation was figuring out how to remove the OEM mounting hardware.

The instructions were easy to comprehend and the kit was even easier to install. Really nice fit and finish; no complaints whatsoever.

These are so much more secure than the OEM hardware; when I opened one of my saddlebags one of the quarter turn fasteners had worked loose; that'll never happen with the hardware from Brukus!

Old 06-22-2010, 08:51 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

My saddlebagsecure kit arrived in the mail yesterday. It was packaged well in one of those bubblewrap envelopes. Opened it up immediately to find the kit and instruction sheet. Instructions are well written, just one small complaint... "don't overtighten" is too vague. Sure, most of us know how tight is too tight, but some poor schmuck will crank on it until he cracks his bag, or leave it too loose and it'll vibrate out.

The install was easy...at first. The first 3 of the 4 brackets mounted up, literally, in seconds. Took longer to remove the OEM parts than to install the new. The 4th bracket was stubborn though. It was just too tight to slip over the mounting point and I had to spread it apart with a screwdriver. Once I did that, of course, it was so loose it wouldn't stay put and I couldn't get the threads on the screw started, so I ended up pulling the mounting point off and squeezing it all back together in my vice. Not a big deal.

The installation tool is simple and well made. Does the trick. Removal and re-installation of the bags should take no more than about 30 seconds per bag...as long as you don't lose the tool! I couldn't help but wonder as I looked at the set-up if maybe using the security screw on the inside of the bags might be overkill. I always keep my bags locked anyway, and it seems to me that the problem of bag theft had already been addressed on the outside, so why not use a wing-nut type of screw on the inside?

Also, the ease of removing the mounting points for the bags (7/16 box end, takes just a few seconds) makes me think that perhaps those security screws might be better utilized THERE, in addition to or in place of the others.

Bottom line is this...the product works. There is no doubt in my mind that my saddlebags are more secure today than they were yesterday. I'm not the kind of guy that worries endlessly about someone stealing my bags, but I DO think about how cheesy the stock set-up is and how easily they could fall off going down the road. I would absolutely see this as a MUST HAVE if I rode a bike without saddlebag guardrails and I WILL recommend it to my friend with a Street Glide.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:38 PM
bluesmanjesse
Road Captain

I got the products in the mail yesterday,thanks Brukus!

First I'll start by saying the "Made in the USA" is always a welcome sight on any product for me!

The Saddlebag secure is a simple yet quality product that seems like just about anyone could install with little drama in just a few minutes. I personally had never worried about the bags being stolen or coming loose until this product got me thinking about it. This product does exactly what it says it will do,it improves the security of your saddlebags both from a crime standpoint and from a mechanical integrity standpoint.

The Saddlebag Secure seems like a small investment for the security it provides,the Seat Secure screw is pretty self explanatory and it is a good product too,if you have spent $500-$800 on a nice seat whats a few more bucks to make sure you keep that seat?

The only possible negative I can imagine about this system is finding yourself out on the road somewhere needing to remove your saddlebag for an emergency repair and not having the tool to remove the bag. My advice would be put the Saddlebag Secure tool in your factory tool kit and make sure it never leave's your bike!

Overall good product for the money, one of those things you never knew you needed until you have it,then wish you had thought of it first,lol...Good Job Brukus!

Old 06-22-2010, 10:24 PM
SEEGER
Advanced

Agree on the saddlebagsecure, literally a few minutes and piece of mind for the bags. Sure you can put this together yourself but A+ for the idea and for the price a no brainer.

Even sent one to my cuz for his bags, going up the coast for a few weeks and I told him you have to get these for the trip.....so there on the way.

I have to say excellent customer service and turnaround time, I gladly support vendors like this on the board.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Ultra GI
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a simple screw to install and the allen provided with the bag locks was the same size. It looks nicer than the stock one and was just a few turn in and done. Now those that want to take the seat will need to bring extra tools to get it. Not fool proof, but nothing is.....fools are way to cleaver. I really like it and would recommend it anyone that does not mind dragging out the torx that fits right in the tool pack.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:35 PM
motorcyclelockman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

This most likely one of the easiest mods that I've ever put on a bike
I would say that is was easier than the ones on my trike.
Put the u-nuts on and then in goes the screws,
We will then have no saddle bag stolen blues.

Honestly, this was one of easiest things to do. The only thing that was done differently was I put a Thick washer between the saddle bag and the u-nut. Without the extra washer, the bag would bind sometimes. making the hooks on the back bag not line up properly.
Great product. I will definately tell my buds where to find this. I can almost guarantee 4 or 5 set. Thank you for this opportunity to test this product.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:06 AM
randytro
Banned
Question Question

Last edited by randytro; 08-15-2011 at 03:47 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:27 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by randytro
Do you have to use the hex screw or can you use something that does not require a tool? Brukus, can you make that an option? Add a couple extra bolts to the package so people can go toolless if they want.

I've been wondering if the bags could fall off and would like to make them more secure, but I do not want to break out the tool box every time I take them off.
I was thinking the same thing BUT I pulled the bags today to wash the bike and it took like 30 seconds per side. Very easy and quick. My buddy with the new Street Glide saw them and will be placing an order shortly!

Old 07-05-2010, 01:54 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts
Thumbs up

Saddlebag Security Screws

Man this is one Great set-up!!!! Couldn't of come at a better time,as i proceeded in installation i discovered one of my original lock rings had broke!!!
I found the instructions EZ to follow and product a cinch to install. The whole package seems to be very well made with quality materials. The locking tool is small enough for me to store with my other road tools. I will be looking into purchasing another Locking tool just to have in my home box for easy access to my bags removal at cleaning time.
I Believe the price to be very reasonable with the Quality of the product and the feeling i will have that my Saddlebags are as safely secured as possible.I have no idea how thieves open locked bags but i do feel reasonably safe in saying that if they do open mine,at least the bags will still be there when i return
Currently i run with Saddlebag rails, and reason being is i am aware of the fact that others have lost a bag due to either human error or mechanical defect in current HD locking system. With your system installed i may consider removing my rails after further reinsurance that they hold up as advertised!!
Made in America Thank You for that!!!!!
Sometimes the Small things can make a big difference..This is one of them!!!

My current ride is an 2004 Flht "Not so Standard"

Old 07-05-2010, 01:57 PM
randytro
Banned
Question Picture anyone?

Last edited by randytro; 08-15-2011 at 06:32 PM.

Quick Reply: SaddleBagSecure for Harley Touring Bikes