Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Langlitz jacket: spent a fortune, got my money's worth

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 07:11 AM
kickstandkaddy
Collections Hold
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Any pictures??

Old 05-04-2010, 09:38 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Wink expensive jacket

Well done,I bought myself a Dainese leather jacket fir $1000 and I never regretted doing it,so go ahead and enjoy the damn thing.Who cares what other people think.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:30 AM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 479 Posts

i bet all those folks who are saying $1400 is too much for a jacket are really thinking of all the chrome parts they could buy for that much instead

and to those worried about weight gain , think of it as a diet incentive !

enjoy your new jacket , and post a pic

Old 05-05-2010, 06:43 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

I have a better idea,why not buy the jacket AND the chrome!What do you think?

Old 05-12-2010, 08:31 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brgtr3
I've been fortunate to accumulate a boat-load of frequent flyer miles, and I've always wanted a Langlitz, so I'm heading to Portland tomorrow for a fitting, returning home tomorrow night on the red-eye. Can't wait to visit the shop and see their operations. I've talked to Dave via email several times, and I'm already quite impressed with their customer service. As of a couple weeks ago, the wait time for a custom jacket was 4 weeks, so hopefully I'll have mine by first week of June.

Well, the jacket is officially on order (measured to perfection by John). Ended up ordering a Pocket Columbia jacket in goatskin with shoulder/elbow pads. Damn, it will be VERY sweet! Before I saw the goatskin, I was certain I was going to go with cowhide, but wow! The goatskin is damn nice stuff. I hope to have it on or about June 1st. Pricey? Yes! Beautiful? Absolutely! Am I worth it? Damn straight since I only get one chance to go around this life. I'll post some pic's after I get it.

The folks at the shop were incredibly friendly and helpful. Glad I had some spare frequent flyer miles to burn so that I could make the trip. As a side bonus, I got to see an old college roomie that I hadn't seen for 30 years! A great way spend 20 hours (left MSP at 9 AM, got to Langlitz by 1 PM, out of there by 2:30, and was drinking beer with my buddy by 3 PM, back on the plane at 9 PM, and after layover in Seattle, back to MSP at 5:30 AM).

Old 05-12-2010, 11:11 PM
micahpop
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pics - June 1st. You got a nice camera?

Old 08-10-2010, 08:45 PM
95nostalgia
4th Gear
Default New Member. First Post

Congrats on the Langlitz. Unless you own one, you really don;t know. I had two of them that were made in the 70's. I eventually sold the cowhide becuase it was too heavy. The goat skin is a dream. The fit and comfort is unbelievable. I have since found that goat skin protects much better than cowhide. It is more waterproof and I am sure it has better protection against cold. The cowhides I have had were good until they got cold and then they were useless until warmed again. Langlitz sez the goat skin is better road rash protection too. I like it for the softness and weight. If anyone is thinking about buying one, do it now. It really takes a while to break them in...something like 5 years. Langlitz are keep sakes to be passed down to your children and grandchildren. I recommend the "state trouper" style with the badge patch & gun pocket.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:44 AM
95nostalgia
4th Gear
Default Leather wear

I want to suggest to my brothers three leather goods.

For light wear, a good quality vest. Get some inlay work added like snakeskin to dress it up a bit. I never do patches and junk on the good leather. I save that stuff for denim.

For medium days, get a Harley leather shirt. Bought mine 10 years ago for $100. They're $200 now. The style is like a western cut shirt with long tails to tuck in. I had the tails cut square (at a slight angle). They can still be tucked in as a shirt but I use mine more like a light jacket.

For cold, Langlitz goat skin Columbian loaded out. Mine is a 1970's and I never had or use the belt. Scratches things. No one around me has a Langlitz so that's kinda cool. But a buddy has a similar old Buco and he throws in down on the shop floor when he takes it off. He also waterproofs and cleans it often. It is worn soft but not torn. Very classy.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Dirty Bob
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by albngore
Nobody is likely to be able to justify spending $1400 on a leather jacket but I couldn't resist as I always had a difficult time getting the right fit. After months of procrastinating, I ordered a custom Columbia from Langlitz.
You must be a movie star or something like that, ha? I read in HOG where one should buy a jacket with ScotchLitz piping. Checked the price at HD ($726). Reconsidered and bought a construction workers vest for $26.98. My vest has ScotchLitz (larger tape width) and 360 degrees. Next time think about taking your kids or grandkids somewhere, maybe!

Old 08-20-2010, 10:56 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

Pic's of my Langlitz that I received earlier this year... I love it! Flew to Portland in the AM, got measured, had some beers with a long-lost buddy, caught the red-eye home and went to work at 8 AM.

Love my jacket! I'm going to try to post pic's, so I apologize if they don't come through correctly:

Attached Thumbnails Langlitz jacket: spent a fortune, got my money's worth-img_0027.jpg   Langlitz jacket: spent a fortune, got my money's worth-img_0029.jpg  

Quick Reply: Langlitz jacket: spent a fortune, got my money's worth