Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Langlitz jacket: spent a fortune, got my money's worth

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Bigcim
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many cows can you buy for $1400? I really dont know, how many.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:42 PM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope that I can one day make the ride out there and get one. You only live once, so why not purchase a few things that give you real satisfaction and comfort? Congrats on the jacket! Oh yeah, now that I've spent almost $500 on a Fox Creek, y'all have to tell me about Langlitz!

Last edited by dFREDb; 04-12-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:19 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

I've been fortunate to accumulate a boat-load of frequent flyer miles, and I've always wanted a Langlitz, so I'm heading to Portland tomorrow for a fitting, returning home tomorrow night on the red-eye. Can't wait to visit the shop and see their operations. I've talked to Dave via email several times, and I'm already quite impressed with their customer service. As of a couple weeks ago, the wait time for a custom jacket was 4 weeks, so hopefully I'll have mine by first week of June.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:37 PM
albngore
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

What a nice treat you are giving yourself. I have worn mine now several times and it is truly terrific. As mentioned I got the medium cowhide and the jacket weighs alot. Don't get anything heavier is my suggestion. Not much break-in required even as heavy as the thing is. Your order will come with a "free" container of Langlitz goop. Put it on as instructed before the jacket gets dirty. Easy to work with that goop.

I got mine made in Goliger Brown (+$100 add-on cost) because I wanted something different from everyone else I saw. I really like the dark brown Goliger. I also got the complete padded back (+$150). Figured what the hell as long as I am spending a ridiculous amount of money anyway. I like the padded back, elbows, and shoulder sewn to fit the yoke. I dropped the two chest zipper pockets; inside just ordered the gun pocket and the wallet pocket. It is quite enough.

Best of luck. You will love whatever you get.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:49 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats on the new jacket!

You know, you should get what you pay for in this life. Langlitz is a company that delivers. Custom is custom, and legacy is legacy--you can't fake either, or import it from Pakistan. The Langlitz legacy is the real deal: there is a reason and a history for every single thing they do on/to/for their leathers. And even if you think you fit in off-the-rack pretty well, a custom fit is on another level.

And most importantly, it fits you and you really enjoy it: that is where the value is.

Enjoy!

Old 05-02-2010, 08:56 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by faber
The Langlitz legacy is the real deal: there is a reason and a history for every single thing they do on/to/for their leathers. And even if you think you fit in off-the-rack pretty well, a custom fit is on another level.
i do agree that a custom fit would be the best, but IMO you buy a langlitz to keep for 20 years or more. i can't think of one person who keeps the same bodily dimensions for 20 years or even close to it, so that custom fit is probably only good for a few years, people will go on a gym kick and drop weight, or eat a bit more and put on 15 pounds.

i have a schott i'll be selling on ebay just because i went to the gym the past 3 months and dropped 17 pounds...

i would fear i'd drop that amount of cash on a custom fit jacket and in a year or two the custom fit would be worthless.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:09 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu
i do agree that a custom fit would be the best, but IMO you buy a langlitz to keep for 20 years or more. i can't think of one person who keeps the same bodily dimensions for 20 years or even close to it, so that custom fit is probably only good for a few years, people will go on a gym kick and drop weight, or eat a bit more and put on 15 pounds.

i have a schott i'll be selling on ebay just because i went to the gym the past 3 months and dropped 17 pounds...

i would fear i'd drop that amount of cash on a custom fit jacket and in a year or two the custom fit would be worthless.
If I were in a position to do it, I'd buy a Langlitz even if it only lasted me a year or two before I changed size. I certainly don't begrudge those who can. They earned it.

Custom is custom, whether it is suits, dress shirts, boots/shoes, gloves, paint jobs, upholstery/seats, whole bikes, or whatever. It's a nice treat to give yourself when/if you can. I wouldn't buy a custom jacket thinking that this would be my last jacket for 20 years, but it's nice to buy something of that kind of quality that could.

And I'm happy that the OP feels it was worth it to him and really enjoys his jacket.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:01 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu

I am one that has worn the same size for the last 25 years. Physical shape is just a important as a well maintain bike. More Americans need to do that.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:11 PM
beornj
Novice

Originally Posted by Bigcim
How many cows can you buy for $1400? I really dont know, how many.

$1400 bucks will almost get you one big steer:

http://www.kansas.com/2010/04/30/129...r-sold-at.html

Old 05-02-2010, 11:56 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Bought a set of Langlitz leathers back in 1983 when they had a small 1X2 add in the back of Easyrider magazine. Still got 'em, still wear 'em. You get what you pay for. Top notch Chit. Absolutely none better. ( that I know of).

Quick Reply: Langlitz jacket: spent a fortune, got my money's worth