Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Lexan, Acrylic Winshields

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 01:41 PM
Greywolf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexan, Acrylic Winshields

I"ve been riding a number of years but never with a windshield. This year we vacationed in Florida and I had intended to follow the wife down on the bike but a snow storm put a damper on that, so while down there I rented a Low Rider with a windshield and bags. No bugs in the face or debris but the shield was too tall to see over and when we hit a thunderstorm you can guess I couldn't see well enough to ride. So anyway I'm thinking of a windshield that will protect from bugs and such and still be able to see over the top when needed. Questions: I've read that Lexan is better than Acrylic in regards to scratches and cracks but how much better? How long will an Acrylic last? Considering the cost of Lexan is it worthwhile? National Cycle seems to have some nice Windshields does anyone know how well of a product they make?

Old 05-22-2005, 04:15 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts
Default RE: Lexan, Acrylic Winshields

Lexan is definitely better than the acrylic. Having had windshields from the MoCO, National Cycle, Memphis, and another company or two, I'd say National stands above all of 'em. I pulled the QD Memphis Fats off my Sloptail and put it on my wife's Suzuki a couple weeks ago. I'll be getting a National Cycle QD for mine. No tools needed for removal, like the HD QDs, but the price is way less.

Old 05-22-2005, 04:41 PM
Greywolf
Cruiser
Default RE: Lexan, Acrylic Windshields

Another question I had is if the Lexan yellow with exposure to sun or tend to fog up? I'll probably go with Lexan but I always like to research the subject first.

Old 05-23-2005, 01:21 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

The Lexan will not yellow. Very clear. It is important to know not to use Windex or Rain X on it. Always clean it with soap and water and polish it with a good plastic cleaner or whit harley Glaze. Never use paper towels (soft cloth only). It will last for a long time.

Terry

Old 05-23-2005, 05:17 PM
Greywolf
Cruiser

Thanks Terry, talking with National Cycle today has set my mind on their Switchblade Shorty screen.