Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Shoei X-11 Helmet Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 08:10 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Received 24,029 Likes on 5,303 Posts
Default Shoei X-11 Helmet Review

I just received my new Shoei X-11 yesterday, and took it for a 120-mile test drive today in temperatures ranging from the low 60s at the coast to the low 90s in Simi Valley and the San Fernando Valley. I was riding behind a cut-down windshield on my Harley Softail Classic.

The Good:

This is one beautiful helmet. Unlike most others, the vents are not stuck on like an afterthought; they're faired into the helmet, making for a very smooth laminar air flow. The finish is perfect, mine being called "Light Silver" which sparkles in the sunlight. I chose that color for visibility and heat reflectivity. First thing I did was peel off that rather tacky looking Shoei sticker on the front of the helmet.

This is also a very, very light helmet. How light? I don't know exactly, but an order of magnitude lighter than my previous Caberg Justissimo. Also, the field of vision is incredible. Peripheral vision is extremely wide, such that I don't have to twist my neck around to do a head-check, and the vision up or down is also superb.

Attaching and detaching the shield may be the simplest and best system in the helmet universe. Push down a little latch on each side and the shield pops on or off. That's it. Two seconds flat, either way.

Some have complained about how the extra bit of chinstrap is secured. Yes. it's hard to do with gloves on. So put the helmet on first, THEN put the gloves on. I don't see what the big deal is.

The thing fits like it was tailor-made for me, with an extremely plush, soft interior and firm cheekpads. I have a slightly oval-shaped head, so round helmets (which typically include all the European helmets, including Caberg, Nolan, etc.) cause a hot spot across my forehead after a short time. This one fit perfectly. (The only other helmet to fit this well was the Arai RX-7 Corsair, which is similarly shaped.) The Shoei RF-1000, in contrast, was too round for me.

Vents. Does this thing ever vent. I hit the coast with all vents open, and had to close them as the cold airflow, especially across the top of my head, was too strong. In very hot weather, I opened them and my head never sweated. This is a first for me in a full-face or flip helmet.

There was no buffeting at all, either looking straight ahead or when performing head-checks. Nor was there any lift. I look over my windshield, so the helmet was directly in the airflow but wasn't fazed by it.

The Less Good:

This is a noisy helmet. I mean Noisy with a capital N. To a large degree, the vents cause the noise. Things got a lot quieter when I closed them. It's also the case that helmets are almost always noisier behind a fairing or windshield. But seriously, I started out without earplugs, which I always wear, so that I could gauge the difference with and without, but when I put the earplugs in, it was still one noisy helmet.

There's something called a Whisper Strip that Shoei sells in the UK that goes around the bottom of the helmet and which Shoei claims cuts the noise in half. But I'm very reluctant, after having shelled out big-time for the helmet, to pay another $40 or so for something that should have been included in the first place. Makes me think that senior Shoei management have all attended the Harley-Davidson marketing seminar taught by Professors Dewey, Cheatum and Howe.

Conclusion:

I will probably buy the Whisper Strip. The helmet is too superior in every other category to allow the noise issue to marginalize it, especially when a simple fix is available. In addition, today was a particularly windy day, which may have added to the cacophony.

List price for this model is $539. I paid $435, including shipping, at Helmet Harbor, plus another $35 for a dark smoke shield. Fast shipping, knowledgeable service.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:16 PM
STRETCH267
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Shoei X-11 Helmet Review

i recieved my shoei x eleven a couple of days ago from Helmet City in California, and went for a five mile ride in 80 degree weather. My speeds averaged approximately 45 to 55 mph. I had the vents open but could not seem to feel a lot of air moving. Is the air flow more noticble in cooler weather? Otherwise it is one terrific helmet.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:19 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you close it off for a few minutes until it gets good and hot in the helmet, then open em... you will know they are there!

Old 09-20-2006, 09:55 AM
fishntx62
Novice

I bought an X-eleven also. The vent system is awesome and the fit and side visability is great. It was well worth the money. I stuck a Harley sticker on mine and it looks great.

06 FLSTCI

Old 10-18-2006, 04:04 AM
Stevenml155
Tourer

I have the RF-1000 and the vents on that work very well. The wind stopper works really well -- get it!

Old 10-19-2006, 02:34 AM
uj034
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Stevenml155

I have the RF-1000 and the vents on that work very well. The wind stopper works really well -- get it!
I love mine

Old 10-17-2007, 05:45 PM
s5fc3s
Stage IV

My Shoei X-11 is far less noisy than my Suomy Spec 1R Extreme.

The Suomy is a bit lighter, but the Shoei vents better.

I agree with Rhubarb. Close the vents on a hot summer day, then open them again and you will know that they are not simply there for decoration.

I like the ease of changing visors with the X-11.I can do it one handed, in the dark, with my gloves on.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:23 AM
Steve Zodiac
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some years ago I hit a car that pulled out of a driveway in front of my bike. I was doing about 65 mph when I hit it. I flew over the top of the car and head butted the ground. My head hit the ground on the top part of the helmet. I somersaulted and headbutted the ground again, this time hitting the chin piece. I suffered whiplash, concussion and some pretty bad bruising but I survived pretty much unhurt. The helmet was wrecked but the shell remained intact. Without any shadow of a doubt it saved my life. I was wearing a Shoei TXR.

I've had two Shoei helmets since then and they've both been great.. I tried an X-11 when it came to buying a new one recently but it didn't feel comfortable. This was a shame because it's a great helmet. I bought an Arai instead and it's the most comfortable helmet I've ever had. I've worn it in the hottest days of summer and the coldest days of winter and it's been perfect.

I am particularly impressed with the pinlock system on the Arai. I used it last winter in temperatures below freezing and the visor didn't even start to mist up inside. I have a clear visor fitted with a pinlock and a tinted one without the pinlock.

I wouldn't buy anything but an Arai or a Shoei because you can wear them all day long in all weathers. Once you've had one nothing else feels comfortable and they are second to none when it comes to safety.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:09 PM
livinez
Novice

It seems either a Shoei fits or a Aria fits. I think Shoei fits blockheads like Me And the Arias fit folks with more Oval shaped heads.
I crash tested a RF-1000 with a little 120mph over the bars test at a track day,7 weeks ago.
Helmet definitely saved my ***.
IF I was wearing my Icon Manic I'm sure I would have received considerable neck and collar bone damage as its a loose fit.
I had addedthicker cheek pads to the Shoei to tighten up the fit. Glad I did.
My hips hit first and luckily they didn't break (Good CE padding in Shift Leathers.) The impact shattered my scapula (shoulder pads saved the rotator area but the energy traveled to the blade and blew it up)
Next my head slammed in like the end of a whip (gouged the helmet 1/8th " deep) and I instantly cartwheeled 15' in the air for 60' to the trees that broke my leg. Unfortunately Ididnt lose consciousnessthrough it all.
The point is most of the considerable energy from impact ended up in the slammin of my skull.
Thank you Shoei!!!!
Dont need a 11 as my racer days are done. But will definately get a new 1000.
$10 helmets for $10 heads.
Think I'll keep wearing a higher dollar fitted helmet on my5 centnoggin.