Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Detailing Products That Impressed Me

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 09:26 AM
SUNNYSIDE
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailing Products That Impressed Me

I was going to post this in the Detailing section, but I thought since I would be mentioning specific products by name it might be better to post it in the product review section instead. These are however detailing products.
First off I should mention that although it’s not what I currently do for a living, I have many years experience in detailing and owned a very successful detailing business in the past. I bring this up only to make the point that I’m a very tough critic when it comes to detailing products. It really doesn’t matter if the product costs 99 cents or 99 dollars, it either works or it doesn’t… right?!
Have I tried every product out on the market? NO, and I doubt anyone has the time, money, or desire to do that which is why sharing with others what works for you is so important. It may help someone else with a specific problem they’re having.
Metal Polishing
Mothers Billet Aluminum Polish – Bought some of this a while back. Expensive, but incredible results. I’ve used the regular Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish for years, but this product impressed me. It comes in a small quantity, but a little bit goes a long way.
Aluminum Polishing Kit – At Harbor Freight I found a great little deal on this kit. It comes with a lot of different shaped buffing arbors that you can use with your electric drill. I have a Fat Bob with Fat Boy style rims. I apply the Billet aluminum polish and buff it followed by a clean microfiber cloth and my rims shine like chrome.
Busch Aluminum Polish – I ordered this product online from their web site. This is a very strange product indeed. It’s a liquid polish with some serious grit within it. (Sand?) I only use this product for brushed aluminum(not polished) that has been stained i.e. something that has splashed on my aluminum wheels that light polish won’t remove. I think it’s good for that purpose, but you still need to follow it up with a lighter polish. Some guys recommend wet sanding, this product is a better alternative to that (IMO). Wet sanding should be a last resort instead of your first choice. Truckers use this product with a high speed buffer to restore their Diamond Plate Aluminum (if they choose to detail their rigs), but it’s more like rubbing compound.
Mothers Chrome Polish – There are plenty of others out there, but this is an old standby for me that always produces the result I’m looking for.
303 Aerospace Protectant – Another product with an astronomical price tag, but I have to admit I’m impressed with it. I apply it to my bike seat, plastic side covers, control cables, and the sidewalls of my tires. Dries and stays put without that greasy wet look. It lasts longer and I feel it protects far better as well. It also claims to possess U.V. protection properties, so if you live in a tropical or hot climate like I do, this is probably a plus.
A motorcycle doesn’t really have painted surfaces that are always easily accessable, so most of the products I use are all applied by hand vs. machine. Here are the ones I use.
Mequiars Show Car Glaze - I have a relatively new bike that I’ve kept in good shape since purchase so I don’t need to use heavy cleaners to get my work done. This product does an excellent job prepping the painted surface before applying a sealant.
Mequires High Tech Yellow Wax – This is a nice high quality carnauba wax. I would probably use a synthetic sealant for any other finish, but I have the Vivid Black paint and carnauba simply does a better job of filling in minor imperfections.
Mequiars NXT 2.– I purchased this product and I’ve used it. It works well for certain applications, but I don’t think it’s the “be all, end all” that others have claimed. It’s too expensive to not produce stellar results. It is a good synthetic though if that’s what you need.
Nu-Finish –Yes, that stuff in the orange bottle that seems to be sold everywhere from drug stores to grocery stores. Don’t laugh, I’ve kept a fresh bottle of this product around since it first came out, and I can’t tell you how many times it provided the solution to a problem. You can smell the petroleum content when you take off the cap. Easy on, easy off, and does a decent job of removing oxidation off faded paint. Try it.
Just my 2 cents on what works for me. Keep her clean, you’ve got big dollars invested in her. Need a reason besides just looking good? How about resale value? That should be something we’re all interested in.