Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Panoptx - disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 04:52 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,823 Likes on 802 Posts
Default RE: Panoptx - disappointed

ORIGINAL: Phil

A windshield will solve all your problems... but it'll drop the "cool" factor by ALOT on a train.
I can't stand windshields, so that's not an option.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 05-08-2005, 04:55 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: RMXer

I've got the wileyX's and they will fog up even after spraying them w/novus windshield cleaner- so I found that loosening the strap will allow a little more air in and that seems to help.
I've actually tried loosening them lately, and that seems to have made a difference, especially with the fogging, and, even in the amount of air that's getting in... but my eyes still water after I've been riding for a while, and that's uncomfortable.

I'll get in touch with Panoptx, and see if they can give me a hand.

Cheers!

Old 05-09-2005, 12:47 AM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Clammy - sorry to hear you're disappointed with the Panoptx - I just received my pair this past Saturday and, so far, they are just fine. I have the "cyclone" model since I need a pretty radical prescription, and that model is capable of accomodating almost any lens - I have transistion lenses along with progressive bi-focals. Although Panoptx doesn't do progressive lenses, my local optician does them and did a nice job. I do wear the strap to keep them at the same position on my face and, again, so far, I am very pleased. I have had them up to the 80 mph mark with no ill effects.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:58 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Retired_Ted

Hi Clammy - sorry to hear you're disappointed with the Panoptx - I just received my pair this past Saturday and, so far, they are just fine. I have the "cyclone" model since I need a pretty radical prescription, and that model is capable of accomodating almost any lens - I have transistion lenses along with progressive bi-focals. Although Panoptx doesn't do progressive lenses, my local optician does them and did a nice job. I do wear the strap to keep them at the same position on my face and, again, so far, I am very pleased. I have had them up to the 80 mph mark with no ill effects.
You know what? I went for a decent run (almost 2 hours) on the highway averaging around 70 mph and I got up as high as 80, and the glasses worked awesomely. The difference? The temperature. Today it was in the high 70s here. I think the problem is that they aren't so hot in cold weather. I'm still going to get in touch with them and see if they can give me any hints for cold weather riding. I may just need to get different glasses for the cold.

Glad you like yours!

Cheers!

Old 06-18-2005, 10:29 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody know anything about:
http://www.riderseyewear.com/

The prices look almost too good....

Old 06-19-2005, 01:37 AM
Cool Breeze
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Clammy, I had the same problem last year while riding the Blue Ridge Pkwy. The glasses just fogged up. As I dropped in altitude they cleared up. They only fogged half way up. Happened once again last spring when it was really humid and wet, again only fogged half way up. Since then not a problem. I've rode in downpours and fog with no problem. The local H-D dealer is baffled as to why, they suggest I send them back to the company for a check, but can't seem to let them go.

btw...I have the 'cyclone' model with the varia lens

Old 06-19-2005, 01:24 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had had a similar experience with fogging, but, only right after I put them on and in very humid conditions. Once I get rolling, the fog will disappear. This is not necessarily the "fault" of the goggles, but, a phenomena caused by Mother Nature. Humid air will certainly condense on a cool surface - takes a moving stream of air to help. Personally, I find the Panoptix perfect for high speed driving on the interstate at speeds my glasses alone would not tolerate. I highly recommend buying the frames and letting your optician fit you with whatever prescription you need. Mine are transistion lenses with progressive bifocals and I love 'em. I did have to settle for an adaptor in front of the frame due to my prescription and the type of frame was also limited due to my eyes. But, overall, a good, no, great idea!

Old 06-30-2005, 12:09 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

I've given up on the Panoptx glasses... now the foam is deteriorating fast and letting a lot of air in, which makes it uncomfortable to ride. Also, the rubber ends that hold the lanyard to the arms slips off every now and then, and without the lanyard tightened, the glasses are virtually useless to me. I found a product called "Fog-Tech" that actaully eliminates the fogging problem (so far), so that is no longer an issue. I'm going to go with Wiley-X SG-1 Light Adjusting glasses.

Cheers!

Old 06-30-2005, 12:57 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Clammy, wish me luck... After several weeks it was determined that Wiley couldn't make sunglasses in my prescription, so I have had to go back to Panoptx... They should be here in a week... along with a couple samples of fog-tech. The guy told me that if the foam started to break down they would replace them... we'll see.

Old 06-30-2005, 01:03 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: TxMoores

Well Clammy, wish me luck... After several weeks it was determined that Wiley couldn't make sunglasses in my prescription, so I have had to go back to Panoptx... They should be here in a week... along with a couple samples of fog-tech. The guy told me that if the foam started to break down they would replace them... we'll see.
Good luck man. I really hope they work out better for you than they did for me. Which model are you getting?

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Panoptx - disappointed