Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Replacement windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 07:53 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,128 Likes on 5,320 Posts
Default Replacement windshield

I felt the stock windshield was too high on my '06 FLSTCI, so I gave it to a neighborhood glass shop to chop about three inches off it. Big mistake, as it turned out. Three inches was a little too much. And the guy must've had a few too many the day he cut it, because the left side (fron the rider's view) was wavy rather than smooth. You couldn't see it, but you could feel it, and the waviness disturbed the airflow, setting up some choppy air.

I decided to get a replacement shield, and thought first of Cee Bailey (http://www.ceebaileys.com/harley/index.html), from whom I had bought some BMW shields when I was into that brand. Their stuff had always been top-drawer, as I recalled.

I ordered a clear shield 2" shorter than stock and 1" wider, and it arrived today. Well, their quality is still right up there. Aside from being perfectly cut (all holes lining up, etc.), it was actually twice the thickness of the H-D stock shield (1/4" vs. 1/8" thick). When you take the hardware off the H-D shield, the plastic flutters in your hand; not so the Cee Bailey.

Put it to the freeway test, and sure enough the turbulence is gone. Cee Bailey's primary business is making aircraft windows, btw.

I paid $105, plus tax (I'm in CA) and shipping. It took two weeks from order to receipt; average in this season. Well worth the money, and highly recommended as an alternative to H-D or other 3rd-party replacement shields.

The usual disclaimers apply: not in any way affiliated with them, etc. etc.

Philip

Old 05-25-2006, 01:55 AM
Toytech
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Replacement windshield

I often wondered if the thickness had anything to to with the turbulance. Sounds like you have the answer.

Joe

Old 05-31-2006, 09:43 PM
JFB
Novice

I too have an 06 FLSTCI and like you don't like looking through the shield but I'm not sure 2" shorter is short enough for me. If you don't mind me asking how tall are you, and where does the top of the shield hit you now? JB

Old 10-20-2007, 11:06 AM
willie37
Cruiser

I am going to order a windshield from Cee Bailey but was wondering what a 2 inch wider one would be like on my 05 FLSTCI. Has anyone had a wider w/s on their bike. Rich