Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Helmet? was I wearing a helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 03:12 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Helmet? was I wearing a helmet?

Recieved my replacement DOT approved CF helmet Friday from http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/ (The first one was ordered a size too small)

Wore it yesterday for 100+ miles and it was like wearing a baseball cap. Black candy color.

Fiber shows thru visibly but the finish is glass smooth.

Comes with 3 hat band liners of different thicknesses.

Quick disconnect buckle is kind of a hassle but gets easier to connect with practice.

If you have troubles with finger dexterity I would ask them to ship with double d-rings instead of the quick disconnect.

Very well made.

If you measure close to the upper size limit as shown on their website then I would advise that you opt for the next size up especially if you wear a bandana or
something under your helmet.

I returned a large for an extra large and asked them to make the ear straps a 1/2 inch longer and it arrived in about 10 days built to spec.

Very easy on returns/exchanges.

Can't express fully how much I love and how easy it is to recommend these helmets to anyone.

Primo

Old 03-27-2006, 08:58 PM
alexcue
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Helmet? was I wearing a helmet?

Primo, i have to agree, a really good, comfortable helmet. Like most helmets the longer you wear it, the better it feels as it conforms to your head.

Only dislike is that the quick-release strap loosens over time, So about every five times i ride i have to retighten it to prevent the helmet from lifting too much. If it is snug, then no air gets underneath and there is relatively no lift. First quick-release helmet so I assume it's common to all. Still the convenience of the quick release over the Double-D is really nice.

Finish is excellent on my natural carbon fiber colored ACC helmet.

Have had a couple of people ask me where i got the helmet, and one asked if it was really a DOT helmet, or if i just put a sticker on it. Had to show them the tag inside.

Anyway, thanks to this forum for turning me on to such a good product.

Old 04-07-2006, 11:38 AM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 315 Likes on 216 Posts

ORIGINAL: alexcue

Have had a couple of people ask me where i got the helmet, and one asked if it was really a DOT helmet, or if i just put a sticker on it. Had to show them the tag inside.
Is there a DOT tag inside? The website pretty clearly states that their helmets are not DOT approved. No matter, the piece of junk that I have now isn't approved anyway and I'd like to order one of these to more closely match the paint on my bike. Everyone has the black beanies and I'd like something different.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:54 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

They have both DOT and non DOT from what I have seen.

Old 04-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Click here for the DOT helmut.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:16 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Doesn't seem like what foam is in them is actually thick enough to save your head...[&:]

Old 05-27-2008, 09:48 PM
ZChan
Cruiser

Mine is almost 2 years old and holding up well. The removeable padding is nice, as you can get different thicknesses,to better fit your head. I got bicycle helmet padding to get the fit just right.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:09 AM
77earp
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Primo--what is your actual "fitted" hat size? I've also been thinking about one of these, and my hat/head size would be "Large" on their size chart.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Somber Goat
Tourer

ORIGINAL: 77earp

Primowhat is your actual "fitted" hat size?&nbsp\\; I've also been thinking about one of these, and my hat/head size would be "Large" on their size chart.
+1

I measure right at the top end of the large scale and was curious if the XL would be the better fit, plus I do the bandana sometimes.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:32 PM
TideRKC
Tourer

Service is great.&nbsp\\; I was right between sizes and they shipped me the next size up without charging shipping for me to compare.&nbsp\\; I ended up keeping the larger size and asked them if I could keep all the inserts so I could experiment with fitting the helmet perfectly.&nbsp\\; They said no problem.&nbsp\\; I ended up making a double of layer of foam in the front and it's great.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
If I had thought of it I would have had the ear straps a little longer as well.&nbsp\\;

Quick Reply: Helmet? was I wearing a helmet?