Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Quick, Easy Zumo 550 Wireless Set-Up

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007 | 03:53 PM
OldBoldPilot
|
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Riders Club Member
Default Quick, Easy Zumo 550 Wireless Set-Up

I've just implemented what I think is the most efficient and cost-effective, if basic, way of pumping stereo music, phone and nav instructions through a Zumo 550 to your headset of choice -- wirelessly. Perhaps some of you might be interested.

Please, no comments pro or con on the wisdom or lack thereof of music or cell phone use while riding. That horse has expired.

My goal was to allow myself to hear music through the Zumo 550 in stereo --and have the option of answering the phone -- without plugging my ER6i earphones directly into the Zumo. This would effectively cut the cord, which is notoriously fragile on the Etymotic ER6i earphones I use, and would also allow me to walk away from the bike without remembering to unplug, which at my age is a gift.

The ingredients;

- Zumo 550, handlebar mounted (on my Harley)
- Etymotic ER6i headphones
- Motorola S705 Soundpilot
- Jabra A120s Bluetooth music adapter
- Apple iPhone (or any other Bluetooth-enabled phone)

Procedure:

1. Pair the iPhone with the Zumo (took less than a minute). Phone book uploads automatically.

2. Plug Jabra A120s into the Zumo's audio out port (where you normally plug your earphones in). It can be velcroed to the mount, or, in case of rain, slipped into a tank or windshield bag. (pic below)

3. Turn on Motorola Soundpilot.

4. Pair Motorola Soundpilot to Zumo as headset. The Motorola can accept up to eight simultaneous pairings.

5. Pair Jabra to Motorola Soundpilot (it's automatic once you put the Jabra and the Motorola into discoverable mode).

6. Plug your favorite earphones into the Motorola, and either clip it to your shirt or jacket or wear it around your neck on the supplied lanyard. (pic below)

In about 10 minutes, you're done. Here's what you get:

- Through whatever earphones you choose to use with the Motorola (it also comes with earphones of middling quality), you get phone, nav instructions and stereo music via the Zumo.

- If you like, you can also get RDS FM through the Motorola unit.

- The phone and nav instructions mute the music, as you would expect.

- You still control everything through the Zumo unit. The Motorola unit also controls many functions, such as FM stations and volume, but the teensy weensy joystick is too small to fiddle with while riding and the Zumo's easier to reach anyway.

- You can answer your phone if you choose to (I don't) via a microphone built into the top of the Motorola unit, next to where the earphones plug in. For me that's an emergency only item, just long enough to say "I'll call you back in a few minutes." But the surprisingly sensitive mic does work -- excellently at a stop, and adequately at speed, even when it's inside your jacket, as long as it's within the recommended 8" from your mouth.

- After the initial pairing, all four units (Zumo, Jabra, Motorola and iPhone) pair automatically whenever you turn them on.

- The Jabra charges via a USB cord, either through your computer or using the same AC brick the iPhone or iPod uses. The Motorola comes with its own small AC charger.

Here's what you don't get:

You don't have any bike-to-bike or rider-to-passenger communication (I did say basic). For me that's of no consequence as I generally ride alone or with one or two friends with whom I have a long-established hand signal system, and never with a passenger.

You don't have home stereo-quality sound, although it would be an exercise in futility to pursue such a thing on a Harley. The sound is about as good as with the earphones plugged into the Zumo.

You don't have the same quality of voice communication by phone as you would with a regular mic, but as I said, for me talking on the phone while riding is emergency only -- though I am interested in seeing who called on display.

I purchased the Jabra and the Motorola unit together on Amazon for $107 plus shipping. Not bad at all

Old 01-15-2008 | 04:11 PM
TxDeuce
Tourer
Default RE: Quick, Easy Zumo 550 Wireless Set-Up

I've been trying to worth through this exact situationover the past week. The only thing that I think I'm going to add is an in-line amplifier to maybe get a little less distortion from my helmet speakers. I think I'm going to go with a different bluetooth receiver also. Since I can't imagine talking on the phone while riding I'm going to try a Sony bluetooth reciever and just pair my Sprint phone with the Zumo. If I get a call I can always stop and use my phone then. Thanks for the great tips.

Old 05-20-2008 | 02:11 PM
Stache
Cruiser
Default RE: Quick, Easy Zumo 550 Wireless Set-Up

Two devices for wireless stereo

wiRevoBluetooth Stereo Dongle model D1000
IMS Camos BHS-600 Bluetooth Intercom headset

done