Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Harley Custom Tanks???

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 06:17 AM
customizer
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Custom Tanks???

Hi all,

I am looking for info on companies that manufacture/sell aluminium custom tanks for Harleys. Have been checking the net and ebay etc. but havent found anything perfect. I would like to shop around to see what is available out there. I am looking for tanks in polished aluminium if possible, (dont know if they exist...), but any advice on good shops/factories/websites etc. that sell custom tanks (and any brands to stay away from!) would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Customizer.

Old 01-30-2005, 11:29 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Harley Custom Tanks???

I would think an aluminum tank would be hard to come by. The industry standard is steel (as Im sure you know). I would recommend building your own, or findind someone to build you one. I would think it to be very pricey. One alternative you may consider, but I dont know what style you are after would be the aluminum spun tanks often found on hot rod coupes, or dune buggies. You could easily cut one down.

Old 01-30-2005, 01:00 PM
Firedude
Intermediate

Fat Katz and Independent I believe both make them. They are very expensive and if you put alot of miles on your bike you could have problems with mounts cracking. If you have one polished you would probably want it clear powdercoated.

Old 01-30-2005, 01:06 PM
Firedude
Intermediate

http://www.fatkatz.com/

Independent only makes steele.

Old 01-30-2005, 01:35 PM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the link Firedude!

Old 01-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Firedude
Intermediate

My pleasure.

Old 01-30-2005, 11:01 PM
customizer
Stage II

Thankyou very much for the perfect info, those sites are exactly what I was looking for!

I know what you are saying about the aluminium tanks (hard to come by, and cost factors), but I am ideally after light weight, polished aluminium - stretch look for standard frame, simple lines, and high quality. I figured they would be hard to come by...but that is a good thing. Prices are higher than I expected, gulp (no prices on the Independent site - which always makes me nervous, lol)...Aluminium tanks will probaby cost more than steel, but the tanks on those sites are works of art.

I thought about the making something myself, (thanks for the ideas since crazy) but like Firedude said, it is the strength issues that would concern me. I think a purpose made custom tank, would have a longer life, and both Fat Katz and Independent look like they know there stuff when it comes to manufacturing custom tanks.

I've still got this image of polished aluminium in my mind...I will have a good look at the options[:-], and a good think, and try and post up here to let you know which way I go, costs etc. If you come across any other options, or have any other custom tank/metalwork links I would be grateful for any info out there.

Thanks again for the replies and excellent advice!

Customizer.