Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

FOBO Bike 2 TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 06:54 PM
DWKen
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by offbeatmammal
hey Ken - the Fobo Bike2 is available... that's what I'm running. You can order from the Indiegogo site - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/f...es/x/2257377#/ or their own store https://my-fobo.com/Store
Thanks, offbeatmammal. I got a set on Amazon and think that they're even better than the old original FOBO1 set that I have had for 4 years.
Funny, Amazon said that they only had silver in stock, no black. Oh well, I bought silver even though I wanted the black ones.
Well, when they arrived, guess what! BLACK!

Old 08-08-2019, 08:47 PM
bklyn roadking
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the input I'm assuming I have to have the tires broke down to do that I'm guessing

Old 08-08-2019, 08:51 PM
DWKen
Cruiser

Yeah. I have a tire machine and do work for others in my home workshop. It's a snap to unseat the bead in the valve stem area on one side and insert the metal valve stem. Hardest part is removing the wheel.
Actually, if I still had my old tire bead breaker clamp, I could do it without even removing the wheel. I could just leave the wheel on the motorcycle and push the bead over to one side to change the stem. I might buy a new clamp-type bead breaker just for helping my friends out.

Ken

Old 08-09-2019, 06:45 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 384 Likes on 229 Posts

You are only a few years late on this review. And why did they need to crowd fund "a project that was going to deliver a Tire Pressure Management System (TPMS) that worked with my phone as the display" when they had had one for years?
On top of all that I am pretty sure (all modesty aside) that my 4 year old review is actually better than yours and I am not trying trying to steer hits to my website....

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...bike-tpms.html

Old 08-09-2019, 06:55 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,758 Likes on 3,981 Posts

Seem to me if it got loose, it could let air out of tire?.. Am I missing something? Any TPMS should be under valve stem shrader valve and a protective cap over shrader to keep dust and crud out.

I do agree motorcycles need a TPMS even more then cars. The heavy wall of a bike tire does not show low air very well to long after bad handling is occuring.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-09-2019 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:23 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Seem to me if it got loose, it could let air out of tire?.. Am I missing something? Any TPMS should be under valve stem shrader valve and a protective cap over shrader to keep dust and crud out.

I do agree motorcycles need a TPMS even more then cars. The heavy wall of a bike tire does not show low air very well to long after bad handling is occuring.
I understand what you're saying but it shouldn't come loose any more than the regular cap would. I have the Garmin version since I have the zumo they work with. Absolutely needed the metal stems with my wheels. I have an 05 Ultra with 07 Street Glide wheels and when I hit 75 on my first test ride and with the rubber stems, the rear sensor moved enough to strike the rear brake caliper ripping the stem in half. 40 lbs to zero in about 10 seconds. I ended up ordering metal t valve, much easier to air up now too.

Last edited by elPrez; 08-09-2019 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:01 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Little small regular caps are unlikely to come loose but even if they did, no air would come out. That being a little loose would. It does say metal stems only on system. System needs to behind valve stem before I would buy it as an add on. Surprised they are allowed to sale it. China mail order is pretty hard to get at. A US maker couple never afford the libality insurance.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-09-2019 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:03 AM
DWKen
Cruiser

Seem to me if it got loose, it could let air out of tire?.. Am I missing something? Any TPMS should be under valve stem schrader valve and a protective cap over shrader to keep dust and crud out.

I do agree motorcycles need a TPMS even more then cars. The heavy wall of a bike tire does not show low air very well to long after bad handling is occurring.
Yeah, if it got loose the air would come out. Fortunately, if it got loose and began leaking air, it would warn me via my Scala Rider PackTalk Bluetooth helmet communication. I've tested several times; when the tire begins getting low on air, an alarm sounds in my helmet.

And it's unlikely to come loose. They include a jam nut for each wheel that locks the FOBO in place.

I agree that internal sensors would be better. If FOBO comes out with them, I'll be one of their first customers.

Ken

Old 08-09-2019, 08:29 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

So to top off, you hand release jam nut or do you need a small tool to loose it to the screw sensor off?
I do believe for a lot of people, it would be better then nothing. Its a pain for me at 71 to check mine but I do.
Takes a few tries to get rear stem correct. Then lay on a blanket to get a reading and add air. Rear is very stable. The front is always a little low. But one shot of air and it's a couple over, so it's close. But a real pain.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:43 AM
DWKen
Cruiser

So to top off, you hand release jam nut or do you need a small tool to loose it to the screw sensor off?
I do believe for a lot of people, it would be better then nothing. Its a pain for me at 71 to check mine but I do.
Takes a few tries to get rear stem correct. Then lay on a blanket to get a reading and add air. Rear is very stable. The front is always a little low. But one shot of air and it's a couple over, so it's close. But a real pain.
I keep a very small crescent wrench in my tourpack anyway. So I just hold the FOBO with one hand and break the jam nut loose with the wrench in the other.
With the FOBO, you get a very convenient jam nut loosener-upper/tightener-upper as well.

On our recent 4,000 mile Yellowstone camping trip, we all checked our tire pressures every morning with the FOBO app. We also ride in confidence that while on the road, FOBO is always checking and will let me know via my PackTalk if there's a problem. (It let me know in the Hill Country a few years ago and probably saved me from a lot of pain and damage). Three of us with Mikey when his tire bead unseated because of low air pressure has made believers of all of us and our friends. We all have FOBO. I'm the only one of us that has updated to FOBO2. And I really like it.
Ken

Quick Reply: FOBO Bike 2 TPMS