Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Aerostitch Darien Jackets

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 11:55 AM
dstockton
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Aerostitch Darien Jackets

ORIGINAL: cycelgrrrl

After riding 5 hours thru pouring rain from novia scotia to nh in 50 degree temps this fall, I finally abandoned my Harley fxrg leathers (about $1,000 value), and my redwing boots (which I poured water out of) for an aerostich suit and goretex lined bmw boots. Should have done it long ago, but I couldn't let go of my love of that leather/fitted look. I have many fond memories with each scuff on my leather jacket that I will really miss that... but I now love being warm and dry above all... So, Goodbye mygorgeous black leather loves. My goal isto do serious touring traveling as light as possible and as distraction free as possible..... Aerostich seems to fit the bill best when it comes to all that, even if does have a face only a mother could love... damn i wish aerostich wasn't so butt ugly. How hard would it be for the areostich folks to put a little and I mean little style into this stuff???
We'll there's the delima isn't it. Aerostitch seems to have made the garment to function above all at the expense of fashion. Case in point, many of my sport bike friends have various somewhat less expensive aerostitch copies by various manufacturers. The look better than my suit, but inevitably will leak some when we get caught in serious rain. While I may not look as stylish, I stay dry and comfy.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:30 PM
toadmanor
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what ever should I do?

Cycelgrrrl raves about the functionality and complains about the style...

Are the two mutually exclusive?

Old 02-18-2008, 09:09 AM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I retired from the Navy (24 years) next spring. My lovely bride and I are doing a Lower 48 ride to celebrate. We will have complete sets of Aerostitch when we set off... Great thread. Thanx for all the info.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:24 PM
weidauer
Stage III

Okay, I've been lurking in this forum for a while, but after seeing this post I am finally compelled to write something.

I bought my Harley (my first), a 2008 105th Anniversary Edition Ultra Classic, a couple of weeks ago. I don't own a leather jacket, or a motorcycle trailer. I wear a black/hi-viz Aerostich Roadcrafter suit, and I ride year round (which is saying something in Boise). I have just under 1,000 miles on the new bike in two weeks, to give you an idea.

It was great to see that there are some other folks out there who get the value of Aerostich products. I've gone into the local dealer (they were great, BTW) with it on, and I get looks from the girls in the apparel like I have two heads. Funny, sort of. I will admit to ordering a perforated leather H-D jacket, but that's just for around town riding.

Anyway, I have done an SS1K with my Roadcrafter two-piece, and it's got about 15,000 miles on it, which means it's just getting broken in good. Leather looks good, but if you really ride, get a 'Stich. You won't be sorry.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Skinny Waters
Novice

I have both leather and Aerostitch gear. Ienjoy the look and comfort of leather. That being said, when my wife and I hit the road for any serious travel we are "stitch" equipped. With the amount of stuffmy wife brings along ( simply amazing,I get one saddle bag and the windshield pouch. She gets the other saddle bag, plus the tourpac, plus a gear bag),on your touring trips, we only have room for one jacket each. To me it must be comfortable, wind and waterproof as well as providingrider protection. Aerostitch wins.[/align]Also at the beginning and end of our riding season it's cold. A Darien jacket and electric gear = toasty.[/align]

Old 03-06-2008, 10:30 AM
weidauer
Stage III

That sounds just like my wife. If I pulled a trailer, I'd still be stuck with one saddle bag, and she would get the rest.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:06 AM
bgismo20
Road Warrior

I have the HD FXRG Nylon suit & I love it, my dad has a darien & says its the best coat hes ever worn, he doesnt have the pants however, but he loves the jacket

Old 03-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Royce
Stellar HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Agree totally with the less than "cool" looking comments as well as the "damn, they're well made and functional" ones. I have a Darien Light in gray, great jacket.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:32 AM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Darien Light Hi-Viz Jacket. It is much cooler than the standard Darien Jacket with the same ballistics protection. This jacket is excellent in the rain.