Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

What a difference gear oil can make?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 06:45 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: What a difference gear oil can make?

Stop the engine shock and the tranny will be a thing of the past with the clatter.Has anyone with a clattering bike tried DTT or thundermax setup?

Old 04-18-2007, 07:16 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: iclick

ORIGINAL: SG 1

iclick,
did you go straight to 85/140 from formula + or syn 3? i'm planning on going to 75/90 gear oil (not sure yet what kind). should i just skip it and go to 85/140?
I changed to RP 75w90 at 1k, then the 85w140 at about 3800. The only time it had Formula+ installed was from zero to 1k miles, and I will always run gear oil in a gearbox. Neither Formula+ nor Syn3 is gear oil.

The first change made a difference in smoothness, but the second change to the higher-viscosity fluid made a big difference in the various 6-speed noises. Fifth still whines and clatters a bit, though not excessively, but sixth does not clatter at all, even at 2k RPM.
I went ahead and put in 75/140 mobile1, mainly because of availability. The only difference is that it shifts a little smoother and neutral is a little easier to find. Still got the whine and clatter. What are you using in the primary?

Old 04-19-2007, 03:39 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I went ahead and put in 75/140 mobile1, mainly because of availability. The only difference is that it shifts a little smoother and neutral is a little easier to find. Still got the whine and clatter. What are you using in the primary?
Do you have clatter in 6th or just 5th? Mine had both at first, but 6th-gear clatter is gone, some remaining in 5th but is tolerable, and mostly noticeable below about 2200 rpms.

I'm using Castrol GTX 20w50 in the primary, my first effort on the approval of HD level 2 tech support, which helped somewhat. The gear oil in the tranny made the biggest difference, though.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:49 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: iclick

Do you have clatter in 6th or just 5th? Mine had both at first, but 6th-gear clatter is gone, some remaining in 5th but is tolerable, and mostly noticeable below about 2200 rpms.

I'm using Castrol GTX 20w50 in the primary, my first effort on the approval of HD level 2 tech support, which helped somewhat. The gear oil in the tranny made the biggest difference, though.
I have the clatter in both. It is worse in 6th. It happens at all rpms, any speed. Any time I get off the throttle the slightest bit it clatters. As long as the bike is under load (pulling) its ok. I discussed it with my dealer's SM and he described the samesimptomsin other bikes.Of course he said there was no fix and that it was normal in the 07s. But all don't do it, so how can it be normal?

Any reason for yougoing with GTX instead of Syntec in the primary?

Old 04-20-2007, 11:44 PM
BlueBob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put in some Lucas 85/140 in mine today and the chatter is gone. It still clunks some but nowhere near as much. I did notice it was foaming a little when I had it running on the stand with the fill plug out, is that a good thing?
I know this stuff is mineral oil but no big deal, it was 6 bucks a qt. and works good so far.
Mobil 1 85/140 was 16 a qt! Somebody is sure sticking it to us.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:10 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the clatter in both. It is worse in 6th. It happens at all rpms, any speed. Any time I get off the throttle the slightest bit it clatters. As long as the bike is under load (pulling) its ok. I discussed it with my dealer's SM and he described the samesimptomsin other bikes.Of course he said there was no fix and that it was normal in the 07s. But all don't do it, so how can it be normal?

Any reason for yougoing with GTX instead of Syntec in the primary?
First, I think the whine and clatter in 5th and clatter in 6th at low RPM's is normal in 6-speeds. I think those who say they don't hear it are keeping RPM's higher, thus not in the range for the noises. Some say it was a QC issue with the gear supplier in bikes produced before November '07 and it is fixed in newer bikes, but I've heard people with new builds voice the same complaints, so I doubt there have been any changes. HD tech support (Tier 2) told me the whine in 5th is the straight-cut gear, the clatter from the recalibrated springs in the compensator, and that both are normal. My question is if so why doesn't it clatter in 4th, which is whisper-quiet? And why did changing the gear oil viscosity make the biggest improvement? I suspect the clattering noise originates in the compensator, which doesn't do a good job of smoothing the engine pulses, and the noise manifests itself in the tranny with clattering gears. This is why changing to higher viscosity in both primary and tranny made a difference for me. My 2¢.

I've had quite a bit of riding adjustment to do on this new bike compared to my '96 Evo RK, which would lug down to 1800 RPM in 5th gear all day without the slightest clatter or other complaint. This new bike simply doesn't feel right below 2000 RPM's, and I tend to keep 2200 as the minimum in 5th and 6th. Since the '07's and Evos have the same stroke, I assume the difference to be the compression ratio, which is 8.5 on stock Evos vs. 9.2 on '07's. Higher compression leads to stronger engine pulses from making more power, and I think that is where the difference lies. Besides, I've known HD's with

I chose GTX because it is cheap ($3) and available at most Walmart and auto-parts stores. The primary does not require high-tech oil, and I feel most anything short of vegetable oil is sufficient, and that's why I wouldn't choose Syntec or another synthetic. It's just overkill, IMO, but probably wouldn't hurt as long as it doesn't contain moly. Too slick and it may affect the clutches, and I would avoid fluid containing moly disulfide as an additive. And since it is one of the best oil additives known, is a must for the engine and tranny oil IMO. For the primary, HD owners use ATF, gear oil like Redline MTL, and various types of engine oils, synthetic and fossil. In my old RK I used the old type HD fossil primary oil and after they quit making it I switched to 94¢/qt. 10w40 off-brand oil from Walmart. I never had a lick of trouble in 106k miles, changing the chain at 88k (didn't really need it) after an M6 spring broke, and clutches at 65k (didn't really need that either) only after the spring plate disintegrated (common Evo malady) requiring a tear-down, not the fault of the oil. All the oil does is cool the clutch plates and lubricate the chain, and that doesn't require anything extraordinary.

I changed from Formula+ (reportedly a 10w30) to 20w50 GTX in the primary in a stab at the clatter problem. It helped a bit and I've had no clutch weirdness, so it will be my choice from now on. The 85w140 gear oil made the biggest difference, and although the whine and clattering are still there in 5th, they are less-intrusive and not at all excessive, and clatteringing in 6th is gone. It is a dramatic improvem

Old 04-26-2007, 05:29 PM
myheritage
Novice

Does the 85-140 change for the Trans only good for newer bikes or will this work on older models as well??

Old 04-28-2007, 12:05 AM
SMT
Tourer

I have to ask...First Harley?

Old 04-28-2007, 12:07 AM
SMT
Tourer

That was a question to whole thread...not just you MY.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:40 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Put Redline X-Heavy in my tranny, whine just about not noticeable, and much smoother shifting..

Quick Reply: What a difference gear oil can make?