Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

What a difference gear oil can make?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 11:13 AM
ironoxide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What a difference gear oil can make?

This is the best and most clearly explained description of how multi weight oil works that I've heard yet...bravo!

ORIGINAL: fatboylust

Motor oil and gear oils are not created equal for example the 85W-140 viscosity gear oil is roughly the equivalent to a 20W-50 motor oil consequently the use of an 85W-140 gear oil will not result in a viscosity conflict. The polymers added to make multi viscosity oils prevent the oil from thinning as much as it warms up and do not add any additional viscosity when they are cold.

"At cold temperatures the polymers are coiled up and allow the oil to flow as their low numbers indicate. As the oil warms up the polymers begin to unwind into long chains that prevent the oil from thinning as much as it normally would. The result is that at 100 degrees C the oil has thinned only as much as the higher viscosity number indicates. Another way of looking at multi-vis oils is to think of a 20W-50 (85W-140)as a 20 (85) weight oil that will not thin more than a 50 (140) weight would when hot."

Hope this helps,
FBL

Old 04-15-2007, 11:33 AM
ironoxide
Road Captain

Hunt,

I put Mobil One 75w-90 in my 07' gear box hoping it would quiet it down. While it did provide better shifting, it did nothing for the noise. Recently, I switched it out to Mobil One 75w-140 with basically the same results. I'm undecided at this point, but I may try one of the following gear oils next: RP 85w-140;Bel Ray 85w-140; Redline 85w-140: Amsoil severe gear. I'm sure all work as advertised. Ultimately I just may wear earplugs and stick with Mobil One - I'm mostly deaf anyway!

ORIGINAL: liv2hunt

I have been running Syn3 and Amsoil 20w50 in all 3 holes. Well I took everyones advice and got it out of the trans. I put Belray in ( I might try Mobil 1 75w90 next) As soon as I made my first shift into 1st gear it was so smoooth... I used to get a big CLUNK... Thanks every one..

Old 04-15-2007, 12:49 PM
rbcss
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '05 sportster that had a serve whining noise during deceleration from day one. I complained about it so much that my whole trans was rebuilt by my dealer. still the noise was there. HD replaced the engine and trans asy, guess what the noise is still there. he service mgr said he didn't feel the trans would blow up so just ride it and if it didn't get better after a couple of thousand miles bring it back. so after a while with alot of reading I took a chance and put Mobil 1 75w90 and tried it. the noise was still there but not as server. I wanted a second opinion and took it to a Indy with years of Harley experience, he said everything looks good ever thing is align right. he ran the bike through all the gears with no rider on it and the noise was gone. with a rider it's back. so I brought back to my dealer they still couldn't find anything wrong. finally one of the techs put some Bel-Ray 85w140 in it to try and guess what? the noise is 95% gone. To me it's excepable. maybe after another oil change it might be completely gone.
my question is does the Bel-Ray 85w140 contain any moly in it because it works great now but I'm looking for long term results.
regurds
Ralph

Old 04-15-2007, 01:25 PM
Littleshack
Cruiser

Its a Harley it MAKES NOISES. If you want a bike tha is quiet buy a rice burner. If you change your oil ever 3000 miles or so it really dont matter what you pput in it.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:47 PM
rbcss
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Littleshack

Its a Harley it MAKES NOISES. If you want a bike tha is quiet buy a rice burner. If you change your oil ever 3000 miles or so it really dont matter what you pput in it.
yes your right, Harley's do make weird noises. and a lot of them are normal. but there is certain noises that should not be there in any bike or vehicle. certain noises could cause major damage. if your happy with all kinds of noises just because you change your oil and want to live with, good for you and don't worry about it. but some of the post is because we are concerns about our bikes and would like to know if there is a fix.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:55 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: pittguy

This is much heavier fluid than I would believe HD would approve,esp for those still in cold weather.I would at least consider what has happened before w/sheared dip sticks.
The BelRay will not hurt the trans one bit........it has been a dealer standard for many years.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:53 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: liv2hunt

it is 85w-140 Hypoid gear Lube. Its thick and red but man did it make a difference..
Using the same............didn't eliminate the noise but made a definite improvement. And shifting is much smoother!

Old 04-16-2007, 12:37 AM
rayj8524
Stage III

If I may suggest some interesting reading, go to the following link:

http://www.synthetic-oil-tech.com/d....aper-g2156.pdf

This is any extensive study of various oils for motorcycles.
I hope this sheds some light.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:41 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior

Put 75/140 mobile 1 in the tranny yesterday. It does shift smoother and is easier to find neutral. I never really had a problem finding neutral anyway, but its better. No help for the whine and clatter though. Something different in the primary is next.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:59 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: SG 1

iclick,
did you go straight to 85/140 from formula + or syn 3? i'm planning on going to 75/90 gear oil (not sure yet what kind). should i just skip it and go to 85/140?
I changed to RP 75w90 at 1k, then the 85w140 at about 3800. The only time it had Formula+ installed was from zero to 1k miles, and I will always run gear oil in a gearbox. Neither Formula+ nor Syn3 is gear oil.

The first change made a difference in smoothness, but the second change to the higher-viscosity fluid made a big difference in the various 6-speed noises. Fifth still whines and clatters a bit, though not excessively, but sixth does not clatter at all, even at 2k RPM.

Quick Reply: What a difference gear oil can make?