Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Transmission problems ++

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007 | 04:13 PM
Katana97
|
2nd Gear
Default Transmission problems ++

I'm hoping someone can give me some pointers here concerning a serious () problem with my 1974 FX (dunno why it says FXE in the registration, but that's another story). I'm a newbie to Harley's btw, so I'm not well versed in the inner workings of my bike yet. Hope you bare with me.

I was driving my bike today and everything was running smooth. As a pulled out of a stoplight-intersection the bike "jumped" out of gear. It ran as if it was in neutral, and I was unable to shift it into any gear. It sounds like it's "shifting" where the shifter-rod enters the bike, but it's not connecting. As I rolled the bike out of the intersection with the engine running, I heard a weak (not faint) "clank-clank" sound from somewhere in or around the primary cover (left side). This sound disappeared when I shifted to what would have been neutral, and turned the engine off.
Finally, I also lost compression/resistance in my kick-starter (correct term?). It feels almost as if the clutch is engaged when stepping on it. There is some resistance, like the sound of a wrench being turned the "loose" way, but no compression builds up. So there is no way to start it again.

Does anyone know what could be the cause of this problem? I've ordered a couple of repair manuals etc, but they won't be here for a while, and with spring here I'd like to fix it soon if possible.

Finally, I'm Norwegian, so I 'm sorry if I don't get the terms correct when explaining things. Hope you understand what I mean though.

Thanks.

Old 03-27-2007 | 06:23 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Default RE: Transmission problems ++

I have a feeling that if you pull off the primary cover, you'll find your problem in there.

Old 03-27-2007 | 06:31 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

broken primary belt,sheared clutch keyway,rounded out comp sprocket,missingteeth.Agreed check primary area first.

Old 03-27-2007 | 07:12 PM
Katana97
|
2nd Gear

That's a Roger on the primary area. Got pretty much the same answer in a Norwegian HD forum. Something about the clutch hub being loosened from the driveshaft. I'm going in there tomorrow and will take a look.
Thanks for the answers.