Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Soft Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005 | 03:39 AM
1200c
|
Road Warrior
Default Soft Shifting

My concern is the opposite; the tranny shifts quiet sometimes. I know what you're thinking; great some complain because it's too loud now we got one complaining because it's too quiet. The only reason I'm asking is that some have said that when it gets quiet it could be an indication of worm dog teeth. I want to know if you consider this normal. As of yet it has never jumped out of gear.

When I first start the bike and shift into first gear for the first time it makes the usual clunk. However, while riding all the other downshifts to first are quiet. The same is true with some downshifts to second gear. I could turn on the bike and shift down to first (clunk), shift up to second (clunk) and then the other shifts to first/second will be quiet and the bike hasn't moved.

Old 09-01-2005 | 03:53 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Default RE: Soft Shifting

ORIGINAL: 1200c

The only reason I'm asking is that some have said that when it gets quiet it could be an indication of worm dog teeth. I want to know if you consider this normal. As of yet it has never jumped out of gear.
Worm dog teeth, I like that, I think your bike is perfectly A-O-K, ride that rascal like you stole it, and if somethings worn out, you'll know it.

Old 09-01-2005 | 02:47 PM
Big Ted
Road Master

Worm Dog Teeth?

My bike sometimes does that. I ain't worried about it. I am sure I would know if something was wormed out.

Old 09-01-2005 | 06:09 PM
1200c
|
Road Warrior

Worm Dog Teeth?
The consequences of writing something close to 2 am.

Old 09-01-2005 | 06:11 PM
HDWRENCH
Road Master

If clunking cold it may be just that the lube is causing it, not lettting the clutch spin as freely as when warm. I run amsoil 20-50 in primary( swear by it) and ble ray 90-140 in trans and with those two I have been able to give a customer a nicely shifting easy to find neutral bike.

Old 09-02-2005 | 01:49 AM
Keystoner883
Stage IV

ORIGINAL: 1200c

My concern is the opposite; the tranny shifts quiet sometimes. I know what you're thinking; great some complain because it's too loud now we got one complaining because it's too quiet. The only reason I'm asking is that some have said that when it gets quiet it could be an indication of worm dog teeth. I want to know if you consider this normal. As of yet it has never jumped out of gear.

When I first start the bike and shift into first gear for the first time it makes the usual clunk. However, while riding all the other downshifts to first are quiet. The same is true with some downshifts to second gear. I could turn on the bike and shift down to first (clunk), shift up to second (clunk) and then the other shifts to first/second will be quiet and the bike hasn't moved.

mine does the same thing, i have a question though, sometimes when i'm downshifting it'll go soft and feel like nothing is there, then i'll let the clutch out a little and it will pop into gear, is that what you would consider popping out of gear, if not what is that, i'd like to know b/c i just bought the bike and am about to take it in and would like to know what i 'm dealing with.

Thanks

Old 09-02-2005 | 03:24 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member

damn you guy analize a lot of stuff! its all i can do to keep my *** from gettin run over by some idiot!