Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Hayden M6

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 02:49 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hayden M6

I've got it. Not the hydraulic one, but the cheaper one, I didn't know about the hydraulic one when I ordered it.

Anyway, when I installed it, I didn't need any shims to get the right amount of tension...it seems to have gotten a little louder than it used to be, or at least I seem to be noticing it more. I didn't really notice it at all until after I did the 98" upgrade, and Steve (HDWRENCH) told me that it was loud. Actually, he told me this after riding around with me, and BEFORE doing the work.

Having a new top end, I guess I'm listening more closely to the bike...

So, what's the deal...I figure (and Steve said this as well), worst case is I'll prematurely wear out that shoe...

I suppose I need to pull the primary cover and look at it, but, the dealer doesn't have any chrome inner primary's in stock...and this was the plan in 4000 when I do the 10000 mile service.

So what's a girl to do?

Is it gonna be ok? Or should I be sucking it up and pulling the primary cover?

Mac

Old 09-01-2005, 03:33 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Hayden M6

Mac,

I would at least pull the inspection plate and look/feel the tension on the chain, it sounds like it's just putting too much pressure on the chain, this will cause excessive noise, is it a real high pitch whine? My other thought is the compensating nut may be backed/backing off loose.

Old 09-01-2005, 06:18 AM
augason
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also installed the M6. I did it 4,000 miles ago and am still glad I did. Yes you will hear it. I also wondered about it however the
shoe is not worn all that bad and I feel the benefit is worth the noise. For me I noticed my bike ran smoother at speed. Vibration
was calmed and the whole primary seemed to smooth out. The shifting may have improved a little but for me the smooth ride
it gave me was the best $80 spent. The deal with the nut getting loose is a good concern. You need to make sure it is torked down
and a little blue thread lock. Mark

Old 09-01-2005, 02:13 PM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

IF that comp nut is backing off it will knock , the whine is loud and I heard it at 70 MPH on the freeway, I did a search on another forum and that was a common complaint but none noticed and shoe damage or even excessive wear. Mac call me before you pull the inner there are few things I would like to give you a tip on to make the job easier.

P.S. took the new ar out to the range last night shoot a 10 shoot group in one hole!!! I am geeked not bad for a new barrel.

Old 09-01-2005, 03:25 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

Steve,

You're a wild man! That AR is trouble waiting to happen.

Back to the topic, there is no screeching and it doesn't sound any different than it did at your place...I will pull the primary cover and look at it soon. I'm much less concerned about it than I was. Before pulling the inner primary, I will give you a call, Steve.

Mac

Old 09-01-2005, 03:33 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay John, ROTM, now you went and did it!!! I went out and pulled my cover of to check my M6 as I just knew I was begining to hear noises!!! The tension is still fine in mine after a quick 4,000 miles (to Sturgis and back and around...) and I finally found the noise, it kinda sounded like a dog barking... seems my blue heeler isn't as fond of my Jim Nassi 2-1/4" pipes as I am!!!

I took it out to the 5,750 rev limit in the first several gears and I get just a little more noise from the M6, but I like it, so it must be music and not noise!!!

Old 09-01-2005, 05:11 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

It's common to get a noise from the M6 and the HB 125. It usually happens if they are too tight and backing down on the 125 usually minimizes it, but does not totaly eliminate the noise. Some noise is common for a few hundred miles until it wears into the shoe, however you will never have totally silent running with the tensioners.