Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Any suggestions on inner primary work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 02:31 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Any suggestions on inner primary work?

Hey all,

Got the 1999 road King all wrapped-up the other day, and after the first ride, I noticed that I had some fluid leaking from the left side of the bike.

I tossed it back up on the lift, and after some cleaning & waiting, it appears that the fluid is coming out of one of the seals around the front (driveline) sprocket. My assumption is that the primary seal behind the clutch hub is leaking - and the coulpe of conversations I have had about the problem - seem to back-up that diagnosis.

Seems that I get to go thru a TON of work just to swap a $5.00 part. Not something that I am really excited about.

I will go ahead and replace the other seals in the primary while its apart, and will also be checking the condition of the primary chain tensioner - so I am glad that I will be able to do some maintenance @ the same time.

Anyway, I searched thru the posts, and saw the like to the belt swap 'how-to', and I think that will help-out a lot. My question is this:

What are the tricks to getting this done quickly & without headache? The dealer & other local shops charge 3 hours - which means someone who is profecient @ the job can prolly do it in two hours. I by no means think I can do it that quickly, but I do think I can get it knocked-out in an afternoon. That having been said, what problems have you guys run into in the past that maybe you could point-out to help save some time or headaches?

Thanks in advance...

Bike can be seen @

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1366147/tm.htm

Old 03-16-2007, 03:18 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts
Default RE: Any suggestions on inner primary work?

I would get all new gaskets including inner primary. While it is apart, this is the time to replace the belt drive, primary chain, clutch discs, primary chain shoe....only if needed though.

When you remove the primary chain and clutch, remove thisas acomplete unit.
Be aware that the primary cover has two different length of allen bolts holding it together.
You will need something to lock the primary chain into place without damaging it. An old rag usually works.
The floorboards usually require removal.

It is pretty much straightforward with no hidden things. I really don't have any tips or tricks for this procedure. You don't have a service manual for your bike do you?

Old 03-17-2007, 03:52 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: Any suggestions on inner primary work?

ORIGINAL: EVOrider

It is pretty much straightforward with no hidden things. I really don't have any tips or tricks for this procedure. You don't have a service manual for your bike do you?

Yep,

Have the service manual...

I picked-up all the seals & gaskets today. Gonna tear it down tomorrow.

Hve not done the job before, so I figured I would get as much input as possible before I cracked it open.