Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Tranny repair. 1st timmer

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 06:34 PM
GaugeMods
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tranny repair. 1st timmer

This is my 1st time inside of a Harley Primary, not alone removing the gearset. I'm a Virgin doing this work.

I am missing 3rd and 4th gear altogether, nota, nothing there. I suspect a bent, or worn shift fork, but it's like a box of chocolates I won't know until it's on the bench.

I have some nice pieces when reassembly time comes, Chrome Inner, Hayden chain Tensioner, SE Comp, SE Variable Pressure Clutch. I am using a Jims Tranny rebuild kit.

The stock Comp, really doesn't look that bad for all the abuse I've put my bike through, countless hole shots, wheelies, and ridden like I stole it. Maybe I should just reuse it? and sell the SE Comp.

A little about my bike. 2008 Street Glide. It has a 103" 11:1 SE pistons, SE 110 Heads ported, polished, Bronze guides, TP Roller Rockers, T-Man 662-2 cams. Home made NO2 system, PCV, HPI 58mm intake, 5.8 injectors, Drago's Bike Works 2-1 Header

Attached Thumbnails Tranny repair. 1st timmer-img_0475.jpg   Tranny repair. 1st timmer-img_0473.jpg   Tranny repair. 1st timmer-img_0474.jpg   Tranny repair. 1st timmer-img_0446.jpg  
Old 04-18-2013, 07:53 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Keep us up to date on the progress.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:37 AM
GaugeMods
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Keep us up to date on the progress.
Hi Mark, what's your opinion on my Compensator? Should I stick with original, and just buy a new bolt for reassembly? or install the SE Comp? I really don't see any abnormal wear on the original Comp. I see so many having issues with the SE Comp.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:19 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,289 Posts

IF you not having any issues I say stick with it, you got one of the good ones. You can do a search of this forum and get opinions on both sides. This is not for everyone but if it was my bike I would get a straight sprocket from evolution industries and say screw the compensator all together. My 2 cents.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:41 PM
GaugeMods
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
IF you not having any issues I say stick with it, you got one of the good ones. You can do a search of this forum and get opinions on both sides. This is not for everyone but if it was my bike I would get a straight sprocket from evolution industries and say screw the compensator all together. My 2 cents.
TY, I have since put my SE Comp up for sale on Craigs List. I have been reading all the issues with the SE Comp and will wait for DarkHorse CrankWorks to release their Comp before swapping out the stock unit after it gives me issues.

I don't have a press so I took my Clutch assem housing over to Ray C's HD Lapeer, MI to have them possibly change out the bearings in it, the service manager said it looked fine and he would do it if I insisted but it looked good and wasn't necessary. He also had one of the mechanics look at it confirmed it looked good with no play or slop.

I took it over there because of the makings on the inside of the inner primary from the starter ring making contact. There must be another bearing that is bad or it was a issue that was fixed by the previous owner before I bought the bike.

Forgot to get the new Comp Bolt while I was there :-(

Attached Thumbnails Tranny repair. 1st timmer-img_0485.jpg  
Old 04-20-2013, 02:24 PM
GaugeMods
Former Sponsor

The georges Garage Tools showed up today and I was able to get the Drive pulley nut off and finally get the gearset out. Thank goodness, it's finally setting on a bench. Total time was about 2hrs to get it removed.

The slider was shattered into 4-5 pieces laying on the bottom of the trans housing and looks like the the dogs of 3rd and 4th gears are worn that the slider engages into. The shift fork is also worn for that slider. The gearset that came out of the bike has the straight cut 5th gear. The gears that are on the spare parts shaft have a Helical cut 5th gear so I am hoping I can switch shafts and run the newer style gears.
I took it all up to my local Indy including the spare gears I had and said here ya go, let me know.

There is a couple gearsets on ebay I have been watching one has the Helical cut 5th gear and the other the straight cut 5th gear. Is there any issue swapping the newer gearset into my 2008n bike? I am hoping I have enough spare parts and or there is no need to buy one of the ebay units.

Attached Thumbnails Tranny repair. 1st timmer-img_0429.jpg  

Last edited by GaugeMods; 04-20-2013 at 02:35 PM.