Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

BDL Belt Drive Install Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 07:31 AM
Velocity1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BDL Belt Drive Install Problem

I'm installing a BDL EVO-900 on my '02 Softail. When I install the motor plate, The bolts (4) at the transmission install fine, (plate butts flush with trans. bolt bosses).

The Problem: The (4) motor bolts align, but there's about 1/8"space between theplate and the motor bolt bosses.....

Any ideas about what's going on here? The bike is stock HDoriginal otherwise. I've never had the primary off the bike before.

Thanks, V1

Old 02-08-2007, 04:34 PM
jhnmflr
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: BDL Belt Drive Install Problem

Sorry I can't be of any help . Did ya look at the directions closely ?

Old 02-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Velocity1
Tourer

Don't understand your reply, but yes I have followed the directions to the letter. Gap around the motor "diameter" that motor plate buts to has approx. .062 gap all the way around. Bolt holes line up and bolts start in holes. Gap between motor plate and bolt bosses on motor are approx. .062 all 4 places. I think I'm looking at a dimensional issue with the plate.

I installed a Primo belt drive on a friend's bike and not a problem. This BDL primary has had quite a few "issues" right out of the box. Each time I returned the suspect bad part, BDL replaced it with one that worked, but since exchanging the motor plate assembly, I corrected one problem, (now I can mount it), however I have this gap problem now.

Thoughts appreciated.

V1

Old 02-11-2007, 07:04 PM
jhnmflr
Outstanding HDF Member

Sounds like a basket case from the begining . Sorry I can't be of any further assistance.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:33 PM
corey
Novice

I would suggest calling the manufacturer which is located in pennsylvania(not too far from philadelhia) and connecting with thier technical service department for further assistance. It is a possibility that the part could have been machined improperly or packaged incorrectly, that model year had specific and strict tolerences in respect to the primary drive assembly.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:04 AM
Velocity1
Tourer

Corey,

Where in PA is BDL located? I'm in Northern MD. Would be alot easier to work with them in PA to get this resolved. Do you have any contact info for them?

All previous engineering interface and parts exchange has been donewith BDL in California. This looks like one of those easily corrected issues by removing the incorrectlymachined details, setting them up and maching them to the proper dimensions myself. This whole deal is getting a little old. I would think twice about using or recommending a BDL drive again. Would really appreciate their location, phone # if you can get it to me.

Thanks for your help.

V1

Old 02-19-2007, 07:17 AM
Velocity1
Tourer

Does anyone have any contact information for BDL in PA? Sure could use the help and or any advice to get this straightened out.
Thanks.