Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

pulled drain plug got chunks

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 03:22 PM
fairplay
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulled drain plug got chunks

changing earl, pulled the plug and got chunks. next step pulled side cover found more... chunks,filings, sediment..
pulled top cover and instected down inside with light and inspection mirror and didnt see any teeth missing. what else should I be looking for?

Old 02-05-2007, 09:57 PM
cjuetten
Tourer
Default RE: pulled drain plug got chunks

Who's earl and what are instects doing inside your bike?

Old 02-06-2007, 12:17 AM
fairplay
Road Master

oh a funny guy eh?

Old 02-14-2007, 08:50 PM
corey
Novice

The first question i would ask is motor oil , transmission or primary oil? If its motor oil and you got chunks or any particles of metal i would reccomend pulling the cam cover and checking your cam tensioners for any wear or to see if they are breaking apart. Also check the oil pump while your there to ensure nothing went through the pump scoring the gears, you can also inspect your cam bearings. If its primary fluid i would inspect the clutch shell or "ring gear" for any damage from starter kickback which could result in small particulate to be seen in the oil or on the magnetic drain plug. If it's tranny fluid were talking about pull the trans top cover inspect visually what you can see and if your comfortable with performing this type of work on your own perhaps you may want to pull the gearset to inspect mainshaft and countershaft gears, mainshaft etc.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:05 AM
fairplay
Road Master

sorry I did'nt mace much sense. It was the tranny plug. I pulled the side cover as well and found quite a bit of debris inside the side cover that had settled at the bottom. I proceeded to remove the top cover and look down inside with a light and lil mirror. I didnt see any gears missing teeth so now what? I dont feel comfortable pulling the gearset. Or do I? is it that complicated? It is now 2 degrees here so I am in no hurry.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:09 PM
corey
Novice

Pulling the gearset out is a time consuming job and can be fairly difficult, however if you are mechanically inclined it should be totally feasable. I suggest buying a service manual for your bike if you don't already have one that is, and pulling it out to inspect it. However if you feel that you cannot do this yourself you may want to have your local dealer check out the bike for you. If i can be of any help let me know.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:14 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be more concerned with bearings at this point and look at the shifter pawls.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:55 PM
fairplay
Road Master

my concern is that I would like to address this before spring obviously. I still have extended warranty but dont know if it would be covered. The dealer was in the box a few months ago and didnt tell me of any chunks, but then again the tech that did the work is not very good and I have already returned the bike for numerous issues I had with that individuals work (not dissing the dealer, just the tech).
As long as your reading... When they installed the 95" and easy clutch there were problems. 1st. prob.: riding home from the dealer my clutch wouldnt engage, I had to jam out of gear. yes I know not good. the dealer is aware of this. Is that a probable cause for the chunks? I would guess so. I think I am looking at another fight with the dealer.

Old 02-17-2007, 02:41 PM
corey
Novice

If you are still currently covered under the extended service plan this will absolutley be covered. Your dealership will have to dissassemble the transmission to diagnose what needs to be repaired, for a high dolar extended servioce lan claim they may send an adjuster to approve the work but with esp you can have it fixed with minimal out of pocket expense, namely only your deductable.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:13 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: fairplay

changing earl, pulled the plug and got chunks. next step pulled side cover found more... chunks,filings, sediment..
I would say sediment is normal,but chunks is a different story.
I would have someone take a look.
It would have been best to leave the junk in the tranny so the dealer can see it.Hopefully they dont consider this normal wear and tear.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: pulled drain plug got chunks