Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch hub issue on my 52 Pan

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 11:40 AM
hd54kh
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch hub issue on my 52 Pan

On my 52 Panhead with new tranny, beltdrive, clutch pack and all associated hardware the thing will not allow me to shift into gear when running. With engine off no problem, with clutch pulled in and in gear it freely spins with the kicker. But when running it appears the the whole clutch hub moves in and out with the clutch lever as if it slides on the tranny main shaft. Now it did this with the original tranny as well but the oil I drained from the original one looked really nasty (rusty and chuncky. So I baught a new trannny installed it and everything seems tight correct but still the same problem.

When I fire it up the whole clutch and hub assembly moves in and out enough to see with the naked eye as I engage/disengage the clutch. With the bike off no movement. With spring around the corner and this bike not seeing the road for sometime I'd like to resolve it and finally ride it.

It would be great if someone here can shed some light on it as all the times I have had it a part and back together and still not repaired.

Thanks - Terry

Old 01-29-2007, 04:00 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Clutch hub issue on my 52 Pan

Put a clutch tamer kit on it,cheaper units work as well as more expensive ones.Adjust clutch again at tranny then at bars or foot clutch.Dont over tighten the primary belt and make sure its tracking true.Not sure what throw out brg you are using but make sure the clutch adjustment rod is for that brg type.Old style brgs are much bigger in size,the aftermarket in this style is junk.The newer style is much smaller,nickel size and requires a different size rod threw trans to adjuster.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:39 AM
hd54kh
Novice

I used the rod that came with the tranny. Trans was bilt by Big Mikes Chopper I got it second hand never installed new in box. The original (1952) trannyand this have the same issue. When not running all is good, when running it looks like the whole clutch hub moves out thus not disengaging the clutch plates. I have had it apart several times and all looks in order, all parts a brand new, feels solid and in place but I'll tell you this got me scratching my head.

Terry

Old 01-30-2007, 03:47 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Put a clutchretainer on it,this will keep whole basket from walking in and out when bike is running,but again make sure that belt is driving true before and after installation of this kit.Kit p/n from JP cycles 620-576 page 646 on newer catalog 17 bucks.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:13 AM
hd54kh
Novice

I just checked it out and see it is for a three finger clutch hub. I installed a five with the long roller cage. I installed all new BDL belt drive, clutch/steel plates, 5 finger hub w/long rollers, pressure plate, and springs. Everything from the tranny to belt is brand new.

What does the clutch tamer do? would this fit my issue?

Thanks - Terry

Old 02-01-2007, 06:42 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

They also make these for 5 fingers.Your whole clutch basket walks in and out while bike is running,the three,five finger doesnt.This makes your clutch plates rub each other causing drag when you dont want it.This kit will hold the basket in all the way,our clutch plates will have the free play needed for easier shifting.This will also eliminate the drag sometimes felt if bike is in gear at red light etc.Its a cheap kit that works just make sure your primary belt is tracking true.