Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Lost My left Leg in January 2012

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 07:06 AM
THUNDERHAWK70
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Lost My left Leg in January 2012

Hey Brothers...
I got hit in Aug of 2007..got ****ed up real bad..died twice on scene and broke my left leg in 6 places my right leg ,my left hand and right arm my nose and had head truama and road rash from head to toe..and that just a few of the injuries...but as a result of a botched truama surgery and poor care in the hospital I was at I got a really bad bone infection..wich I fought for 5 long years and had 29 surgeries but finally lost the battle in Jan 2012 and lost My left leg..and ever since I have been looking into Jockey Shifters, Pingle hand Shifters,and Sucide hand and foot cluch shifters...so heres where I'm at The Jockey Shifter with the Clutch handle on the Shifter is out..that a damn good way to die If ya ask me..that a true Sucide shifter in my book..lol...so what I'm left with is either a Pingle hand shifter..or the Sucide Foot clutch with a tank mounted shifter..but what I'm worried about is..with My prostetic leg on will I be able to use the clutch good enough to shift and if my foot slips of the peg..bam the reason they are called Sucide clutches..anyways I guess I'm just looking for some advise and opinions from other Like minded Brothers out there as to what the **** I should do...I been riding my whole damn life and Now I been down and not able to ride and its ****in killin me..so if any of you Bro's out there have any advise or anything to put me back on my bike..drop me a line and let me know...thanks alot and keep the rubber side down...Brother Hawk..!!

Old 09-24-2012, 07:30 AM
ReilandLaw
Cruiser

I have a friend and client that lost her left leg in an accident in July '10 and last week she got her Tri-Glide. She's having the pingle hand-shifter installed on Tuesday. I would think that would definitely be safest given the lack of or at least reduced control of the left lower leg. Even though you might probably be able to use your leg to operate the clutch or shifter 95% of the time, that 5% risk that you might miss the pedal, or not have the strength that one time to operate the pedal is too big a risk if you ask me. The one time that your prosthetic doesn't go exactly where you want it to go, could be the time you need to react in a split second.

The hand shifter, where you don't need to use your left leg/foot would be my suggestion, keeping in mind that, although I personally couldn't imagine what you've been through and what equipment would work best, but I have been close with someone going through similar circumstances and have seen what has and/or has not worked for her.

Glad to hear you're pulling through and fighting to get back on a bike - many people would not hesitate to give up riding after something like what you've been through, and I wouldn't necessarily fault them. Whether you know it or not, you're an inspiration to the rest of us.

Bill

Old 09-24-2012, 08:03 AM
THUNDERHAWK70
Stage II

Hey Bill...good mornin...Bro...thanks alot for your thoughts and info..I am really leaning in the direction of the pingle hand shifter cause cant go through another wreck..i barely survived this last one..your right it seems to be the safest way to go..and they are quick to.. alot faster shifting then the fastest foot shift..lol...hey take care brother..have a good week...Hawk

Old 09-24-2012, 10:47 AM
ReilandLaw
Cruiser

Cool. Good luck bro, I'm looking forward to seeing pics of you & your bike posted!

Bill

Old 09-24-2012, 01:02 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,162 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Hawk, welcome to the forum. Glad you made it thru...I know a little of what it's like....had a bad one myself in 2010 and still dealing with it. Got another surgery next month.

Pingle sounds like the way to go...but you still want some good gripping pegs...check out the these HERE.