Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Clutch Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 04:27 PM
rickhess
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Clutch Noise

I have a 2007 Road King Custom with 600 miles on it. It is my first Harley but not my first bike. I noticed that when I am releasing the clutch while pulling away from a dead stop, I feel a very slight knock or crunch in my left foot (on the foot board) about mid-way though the clutch release. The intensity varies depending on how much I finesse the clutch. If I really baby it, I don't feel it at all. It seems worse when riding two-up and fully loaded (the bike). It feels like a mechanical engagement or meshing of some sort, but I don't know why it would happen part-way through the clutch release.

I talked to the dealer and a few other riders with older bikes and no one knows what I'm talking about. It's a light enough knock that I would forget about it if I knew what it was or knew that it is common.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:36 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Clutch Noise

Did you check the cable to see if it is clamped securley to the frame? It may be flexing if it's not clamped. If that is not it...slide up the cable adjuster boot and make sure the adjuster nut is tight. Then work your way back to the where the cable goes into the primary and see if anything is loose.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:50 PM
marcr5
Stage IV

Aha! I've been hoping to see a post like this! I have an 07 FXST that is doing the same thing. I took the bike to the dealer and told him I have a clunking noise when letting out the clutch and can feel it in my left foot, vibrating through the frame. I also told him it sounded like slop in the drive train. So, they put it on the lift and pulled the primay inspection cover, put a socket on the trans shaft nut with it in gearand cranked it about 1/3 of a turn in each direction before the gears engaged. Each time the slack came out of the shaft you could hear a definite "clunk"[:-]! The mechanic said he'd never heard that before and contacted HD to see what to do about it. After waiting three days, they said that HD said it was a normal noise. While on the phonewith HD, the mech said they had a technician on the HDproduction floor with an 07 6sp.trans and it was doing the same thing! After reading tons of posts on the 07 trans problems and talking to the dealerwith no resolution from HD, I have decided to just ride it.
I get a clunk in all gears as I let out the clutch and the slack comes out of the trans. Eventually, this is going to cause serious wear and that worries me. I've got my eyes and ears open for any news on this and as soon as I hear anything I'll post it.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:39 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Sounds like backlash in the gearset that should not be there. []

Old 01-18-2007, 02:15 PM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been complaining about that same problem in my 06 Roadglide for almost a year now. Dealership insists it is normal. Mine only does it pulling out in first gear though. When the clutch lever is almost all the way out, I get a lurch and clunk. Worse when two up or pulling out up hill.
Gary D.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:58 PM
RiderUp
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: rickhess

I have a 2007 Road King Custom with 600 miles on it. It is my first Harley but not my first bike. I noticed that when I am releasing the clutch while pulling away from a dead stop, I feel a very slight knock or crunch in my left foot (on the foot board) about mid-way though the clutch release. The intensity varies depending on how much I finesse the clutch. If I really baby it, I don't feel it at all. It seems worse when riding two-up and fully loaded (the bike). It feels like a mechanical engagement or meshing of some sort, but I don't know why it would happen part-way through the clutch release.

I talked to the dealer and a few other riders with older bikes and no one knows what I'm talking about. It's a light enough knock that I would forget about it if I knew what it was or knew that it is common.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Wow, so I'm not the only one then. I wanted to post this question myself, but I couldn't figure out how to word it clearly enough. Yes, I have the same thing andunder the exact same circumstances. However, I didn't notice it until after the 1st maintenance when I had HD Syn3 oil put in. I can't imagine that it was just coincidence, so I guess there is just a little bit more slippage with the Syn3?

I also asked about it at the Dealer and was told not to worry, so I'll just ride it. I'm glad you posted the question.

Regards

Old 01-20-2007, 11:55 PM
rickhess
2nd Gear

I dropped my bike at the HD dealer on Wednesday (January17th)to have them check the clutch noise/crunch and perform the 1000 mile maintenance. I am also having some accessories added which had to be ordered, so the bike is still at the dealership.

I called the service department yesterday (Friday)to see if they checked out the clutch. The service manager said he rode my bike, but didn't notice anything unusual with the clutch (surprise). They adjusted the clutch internally and externally anyway, and adjusted my idle because they said it was low. It sounds like my clutch problem has not been resolved.

So far, I think Classic HD in Reading, PA is a top notch dealership. However, the clutch crunch/vibrationis not in my mind. I just cannot believe that a HarleyService Managercould ride my bikewith a very detailed description of thiscrunch/vibration and not notice it. I tried many times to convince myself I didn't feel it, but it was always there. It sounds like some of you are experiencing the same thing whichis comforting.

I decided I am going to forget about the clutch crunch/noiseand just continue to enjoy my bike. If it turns into a problem later, I'll deal with it then.

This situation reminds me of the noise I heard from the engine of my brand new 2001 Chevy Suburbanfor the first few minutes aftera coldstart. GM had just started installing pistons with shorter skirts and the engines with this new piston design sounded like a diesel until they warmed up and the pistons expanded. Myself and about one hundred other recent Chevy purchasers on an Edmunds Bulletin Board were driving ourselves nuts over this noise. For months we called GM regularly for status reports on GM's solution to this problem without any results. There was talk of class action lawsuits and other even more radical measures to get GM to solve this problem. We were obsessed.

Six years and 60,000 miles later, my Suburban still makes the same noise when it's cold. It has been 100% reliable and my best Chevy yet, noise and all. As far as I know, GM never did anything about the piston noise, and as far as I know, there have never been any reliability problems associated with the new but noisypiston design. We got ourselves all worked up over nothing.

I have a feeling we are dealing with a similar situation with our Harley clutches. The worst part of a situation like this is thinking you are the only one with this problem. That's been solved, thanks to this forum. Enjoy your bikes. I will be enjoying mine (as soon as it warms up).

Old 01-21-2007, 04:06 PM
seaess
6th Gear

I just read your post and a couple of others regarding your clutch. My 06 EG Classic did the same, dealer said it was normal. Changed from syn 3 to HD Formula + in the primary and the problem went away. I don't have syn 3 anywhere in my bike now. So if you're running syn 3 in your primary, try this. Good luck.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:42 PM
rbtgold
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi..noticed the same thing on my 03 rkc and 06 ultra (both purchased new). i changed the primary oil to20-50 synthetic (not hd)and within 50 miles, noise/chatter went away.
hope this helps
rbt in milwaukee
03 rkc, 06 ultra (sold), 07 ultra
www.blenderblaster.com

Old 01-22-2007, 01:00 AM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I changed my syn-3 also but the problem persists. I even took it to the best indy in Pittsburgh and he could only slightly feel/hear it. Two up or on a hill it is really noticable. I'm starting to thing that I'm just too used to a hydraulic clutch.
Gary D.

Quick Reply: 2007 Clutch Noise